• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about a Dark-eyed Junco (1 Viewer)

Nezvanova

monkapotamus
Over the weekend I saw what at first glance I thought might be a chubby little mockingbird, but then realized was a Dark-eyed Junco (slate-colored). Except this little guy had white bars on his wings!

I found some pics of what are called White-winged Juncos, and besides the near impossibility of one of these little guys turning up in Philadelphia, the Junco I saw had a much smaller bill than the White-winged's have.

Has anyone else ever seen a slate-colored Junco with wing bars? Is this fairly common?

Thanks,
Amy

I saw the same thing in South Dakota just last week. This plate should answer your question.

Attachments

• Slate-colored Junco variant.jpg
    Slate-colored Junco variant.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 190
Warbler's image comes from the Sibley guide to birds,page 501.
I'm not sure if we're allowed to post excerpts on this Forum(copyright)so I'll check with Admin.

What are the chances of White-winged and Slate-coloured being split? Actually, I'm sure there's been a thread on this somtime tecently - I'll go and look it out.

Jason

Hi Jason,

All the Juncos used to be split, but they desplit them all a while back. I suppose they may yet reverse that, like they did with Baltimore & Bullock's Orioles to Northern Oriole, and then back again later. But they seem to have higher priorities than Juncos.

Michael

as i recall 'white-winged' de junco is usually found from south dakota south to colorado. i would think seeing the white-winged on the east coast is a fairly rare occurence - probably need some more experienced north east coast birders to give you the answer on that one though - i know if an 'oregon' shows up here in ct it at least gets onto the local rare bird alert. luke

True white-wingeds have three outer tail feathers that are white, other junco only have two. White-winged are a lighter gray than Slate-colored. I seen many of both species in winter here in So. Colorado. I'm not sure of any recored east of the Blackhills, but who knows. I've always believed them as different species from the other junco. Van

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back