• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cannon 400d and tamron 100-300mm lens (1 Viewer)

danevansBOP

Hello chaps

looking for some advice.

I can get some lovely photography with the standard lens that comes with camera but as soon as I put the tamron lens on it doesn't focus correctly.

I have cleaned the lens but the doesn't improve :(

Any Advice

That 400D is a old canon model around about year 2007,could be the tamron is not calibrated to fit the camera body.
There is a new camera shop just opened in Gosforth High street,LONDON CAMERA EXCHANGE you should pop into there sure they will be able to advise you.
They have branches up and down the country and usually make my purchases from any of there branches.
Hope this might help.
GEORGE.

Thanks for the advise and you're local which is nice to see!

yeah I know the camera is old, I think I need to upgrade but just been in a car accident so money isn't the best!

Hello chaps

looking for some advice. ... I have cleaned the lens but the doesn't improve :( Any Advice

Are you suffering from poor focus with the Tamron lens, or could it be camera shake? Have you tried shooting at a higher ISO, and/or using a tripod? What camera mode were you using? P, Tv or Av.

getting a trip to see if that improves. I use AV mode so they produce .RAW type.

that will isolate any 'shake'.

hmm any other suggestions

anyone got a lens they would recommend for the 400d? I know the camera is in it's pension but I can't afford a new camera yet.

As you're asking your question in the Bird Forum, I assume that your interest is shooting birds and/or butterflies and moths. I'm also assuming that you want the 300mm range covered. If you can possibly afford it, Canon's EF 100-400L F/4.5-5.6L IS is very popular with bird photographers, as is the fixed EF 400 F/5.6L. There's also the EF 70-300 F/4-5.6L IS. None of these are low cost - they're L grade lenses and built to last, and sharp.

Canon has also offered a wide range of 70-300, or 75-300 lenses at a lower price point, and these could be considered, and I've had good results with one of them years ago, but then bought the 400 F/5.6L. If you're tempted by the recent price reductions (LCE s/h website) on the DO version, I'd recommend that you do a specific search and check whether the DO version is recommended for bird photography.

The Sigma 100-300 f/4 is a great lens for birds and butterflies (if a little short for birds), and can be had for less than the Canon L series glass. The only trouble is finding one, since they've been discontinued and are somewhat uncommon. Most of the photos in my gallery have been taken with this lens (and the newer Rebel 650D). A great lens on a budget that I highly recommend.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back