• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (4 Viewers)

And me . . . there's usually Song Thrush and Chiffchaff singing within earshot of the house, but not this year yet. Failing this, should get Chiffy with post-juvenile dispersal in Aug, and Songy on migration in late Sept.

Finally! A (very distant, only just audible!) 33 Song Thrush heard from the garden :t:

After 19 days without any new species to add, at last something to remind me it IS spring (despite the overnight frosts and 15cms of snow the other morning):

66 Honey Buzzard

making its way north-east this morning.

Hits the 100 marker today ...flock of Feral Pigeons number 99, then the Common Whitethroats for the hundred, several arriving today

99. Feral Pigeon
100. Common Whitethroat

To compare with past years, reached 100 a little later than average this year - was on 3 May in 2014 & 2015, 6 May in 2012 and 11 May in 2013.

Last edited:
Sure they were feral, and not participants in a racing pigeon race? Genuinely feral birds are pretty strictly resident and hang around their home site all year, so it's either a 1 January bird, or not at all :t:

Feral Pigeons on much of the continent are not strictly city birds and also do wander - the small number in my area are loosely associated with a neighbouring village, but usually feed in ploughed fields, etc in the general vicinity. I never see them in January or other winter months - they are more closely tied to the village then (which is out if sight of my land), but reasonably often do in May when they wander out to freshly ploughed fields (not far as they go, but puts them into sight of my land).

PS. same goes for other 'pretty strictly resident' birds - House Sparrow for example is a summer visitor to my plot.

Last edited:
Finally! A (very distant, only just audible!) 33 Song Thrush heard from the garden :t:

Favourable conditions for some drifting songs here too this week!

51. Northern Waterthrush (heard).
52. Broad-winged Hawk (now regularly soaring over).
53. Ovenbird
54. Red-winged Blackbird (long awaited flyover).

Lots more warblers in the area, but icy cold wind and unexpected snow shower chased me back indoors this morning!

Feral Pigeons on much of the continent are not strictly city birds and also do wander - the small number in my area are loosely associated with a neighbouring village, but usually feed in ploughed fields, etc in the general vicinity. I never see them in January or other winter months - they are more closely tied to the village then (which is out if sight of my land), but reasonably often do in May when they wander out to freshly ploughed fields (not far as they go, but puts them into sight of my land).

PS. same goes for other 'pretty strictly resident' birds - House Sparrow for example is a summer visitor to my plot.

Reet, thanks!

New today, high overhead:
34 House Martin
35 Common Swift

I arrived home this evening to find 54 a Pied Wagtail calling from the top of the roof.

Also added Brown Hare to the garden mammal list this week. I often see them in the surrounding fields but this was the first inside the garden.

Golden Oriole also brilliant, Jos!

Here a pair of HOBBIES ! But not from the garden!!
Watched them for at least 15 minutes today within half a mile of my house. The local pair have returned. Should get them on the garden list before long.
Also today a second Red Kite went past to the south. It was mobbed by a falcon when too far away to id - only poss Hobby.

Here a pair of HOBBIES ! But not from the garden!!
Watched them for at least 15 minutes today within half a mile of my house. The local pair have returned. Should get them on the garden list before long.
Also today a second Red Kite went past to the south. It was mobbed by a falcon when too far away to id - only poss Hobby.

Red Kite, no 61 for me too yesterday and today......wonder if it was the same one.

So glad your local Hobbies are back.

Yesterday in the early evening I was lounging in a hammock in peace and quiet, when I noticed on the side of my eye, that some bird landed two meters away from me. I turned my head in the direction of the bird lazily assuming seeing tit or Chaffinch. What!? No bells ringing... Then the bird turned slightly and I saw a glimpse of sparkling blue breast: #42. Bluethroat!
I never - even my wildest dreams - have imagined that migrating Bluethroat would landed to my garden. Bird moves a little farther away, and soon I saw it front side in full - And what an stunner! svecica-male in his full breeding plumage. But as soon as he has come, he has gone too.

Little later: #43. Pied Flycatcher singing male.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back