• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 8x40 Powerview (porro) (1 Viewer)

DMKSlater

Anyone use these optics? I do workshops for beginners so looking for a couple of pairs for clients to use. Good/bad/indifferent views welcome.

Sorry heading should read 8x42 (not 8x40)

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what you have found, but it looks to me like the 8x42 is currently only available as roof design. Not tried either but both are Bk7 prisms, non-waterproof, not phase coated (roof) only multicoated and an average field of view, doesn't sound promising, but I haven't tried them myself.

If you are OK with a non-waterproof porro then either the 7x35 or 8x40 Nikon Action might be a better bet and is similar money if you shop around. That has BAK4 prisms and a wide field of view.

David

Last edited:
Anyone use these optics? I do workshops for beginners so looking for a couple of pairs for clients to use. Good/bad/indifferent views welcome.

Sorry heading should read 8x42 (not 8x40)

Many thanks

Dave

Dave:
Welcome to the Birdforum. Good place to get advice on optics. I am wondering
what is your budget for these binoculars? I am not familiar with the Powerview
but am thinking a nice porro-prism type for one on a budget would give you better
optics in the under $100. price range.
One Bushnell, in the budget range, may be the Legacy, or consider the Nikon
Action, 8x40.

Jerry

Thanks for the replies, I'm a swaro user (bino's and scope) these optics are for birdwatching beginners to use, so dont want to spend a lot on optics that will be knocked about.
Will do a bit more research!
Thanks again folks.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back