• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 120-300/2.8 DG OS HSM S review (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
There is a good detailed review of the new 120-300 'S' lens HERE on the-digital-picture.com site.
I was led to believe that optically the new 'S' lens was the same as the previous version but according to this review it is significantly better - quote " test results show that the OS "S" lens is a significant upgrade optically". One biggish minus is the weight which has gone up to 3.390 kg, this makes it way heavier than the Canon 300/2.8 IS mkII (2.4kg) for instance.

Last edited:
Hi Roy.

I think the review is slightly confusing but does make a recovery.
The new Sport lens has two FLD coated optics and one SLD coated optic the latter not being mentioned in the review. The former OS lens also had two FLD and one SLD coated optic(s).This can still be checked and confirmed by reference to internet reviews.

Several weeks ago I compared Sigma's MTF charts and for the two lenses they presented congruently. I also telephoned Sigma's technical department and was informed unequivocally that optically the new lens remains unchanged. The MTF chart for the older lens is now unavailable unless of course there is a review out there that has copied and pasted it. I can't find one.

However, I do not think that I would be misrepresenting Sigma if I say a larger proportion of Sigma's customers were unhappy with various aspects of the former lens and were returning them. I think the leading lens rental supplier had the lens as the one they had to return for fixing more than any other lens in their catalogue. Clearly there were problems with focusing/electronics which would of course lead to sharpness issues when trying to achieve critical focus. These problems were not universal and there are many who have lenses which they are happy with and seem to function perfectly well. The problems referred to may be the reasons which causes the reviewer to think that the optics have been upgraded.

Sigma has now indicated that each of their lenses will be put through a rigorous test procedure in the hope that each lens sent out performs as expected. In other words they are addressing quality control issues which previously have been the subject of criticism.

It seems that most of the in depth reviews indicate that the 120-300 Sports is very sharp but not quite as sharp as the new Canon (I would not expect it to be). The cost difference in terms of the added sharpness of the Canon Lens is it seems not justified. Thus making the Sigma Sport a very attractive consideration.

Unfortunately the reviews do not seem to cover sufficiently well the needs of birders when dealing with aspects of IQ and focus performance across the zoom range when a 2X converter is used. I think most bird photographers whilst accepting that at 600mm FL they will not get the same results as a 600 prime in terms of IQ and lens performance: they still want to know what might be reasonably expected for near and medium distance birds when a 2X converter is used between say 400mm and 600mm. I'm sure that many 300mm Canon shooters have their 2X permanently attached and they seem to be generally very happy with performance and IQ. Sigma shooters will want to know can they do the same?

For me, if I had the Sigma zoom I would want to make use of the full zoom range, that's what I find so attractive about the lens, but since I usually spend 4 months of the year shooting peregrines the lens would need to be able to perform pretty well when using longer focal lengths for flight shots.

I eagerly await your review when you get one;)

Hi Roy.

I think the review is slightly confusing but does make a recovery.
The new Sport lens has two FLD coated optics and one SLD coated optic the latter not being mentioned in the review. The former OS lens also had two FLD and one SLD coated optic(s).This can still be checked and confirmed by reference to internet reviews.

Several weeks ago I compared Sigma's MTF charts and for the two lenses they presented congruently. I also telephoned Sigma's technical department and was informed unequivocally that optically the new lens remains unchanged. The MTF chart for the older lens is now unavailable unless of course there is a review out there that has copied and pasted it. I can't find one.

However, I do not think that I would be misrepresenting Sigma if I say a larger proportion of Sigma's customers were unhappy with various aspects of the former lens and were returning them. I think the leading lens rental supplier had the lens as the one they had to return for fixing more than any other lens in their catalogue. Clearly there were problems with focusing/electronics which would of course lead to sharpness issues when trying to achieve critical focus. These problems were not universal and there are many who have lenses which they are happy with and seem to function perfectly well. The problems referred to may be the reasons which causes the reviewer to think that the optics have been upgraded.

Sigma has now indicated that each of their lenses will be put through a rigorous test procedure in the hope that each lens sent out performs as expected. In other words they are addressing quality control issues which previously have been the subject of criticism.

It seems that most of the in depth reviews indicate that the 120-300 Sports is very sharp but not quite as sharp as the new Canon (I would not expect it to be). The cost difference in terms of the added sharpness of the Canon Lens is it seems not justified. Thus making the Sigma Sport a very attractive consideration.

Unfortunately the reviews do not seem to cover sufficiently well the needs of birders when dealing with aspects of IQ and focus performance across the zoom range when a 2X converter is used. I think most bird photographers whilst accepting that at 600mm FL they will not get the same results as a 600 prime in terms of IQ and lens performance: they still want to know what might be reasonably expected for near and medium distance birds when a 2X converter is used between say 400mm and 600mm. I'm sure that many 300mm Canon shooters have their 2X permanently attached and they seem to be generally very happy with performance and IQ. Sigma shooters will want to know can they do the same?

For me, if I had the Sigma zoom I would want to make use of the full zoom range, that's what I find so attractive about the lens, but since I usually spend 4 months of the year shooting peregrines the lens would need to be able to perform pretty well when using longer focal lengths for flight shots.

I eagerly await your review when you get one;)
That makes more sense Adrian as I thought the optics were the same as the previous one - seems like the review is a bit flawed.
What I can say for 100% certainty is that I will not be buying one - if I do decide to get another long lens it will be the Canon 300/2.8 IS MkII for sure (although at the moment I am thinking of a full frame Camera and a few small lenses for stuff other than wildlife).

I had the original 120-300 f2.8 os. Then upgraded to the canon 300mm f2.8 is II. I Promptly sold the Canon 300mm f2.8 is II and ill be going to the new sigma when it comes out. There is no way in history that the canon 300mm f2.8 II is worth $5000 more than the sigma. NO NO NO Way. I did calibrate my sigma 120-300 f2.8 os and it as perfect. The only thing that the canon did slightly better was focus with the 2x teleconverter a tad quicker when facing direct sunlight ( it was lighter for handheld stuff too) pixel peeping at 100% with the 2x would show a slight improvement on the canon but by f8 it was gone. without the 2x the Sigma was what i class as 1/3rd stop behind the canon from f3.2 its the same but at f2.8 the canon one only just.- Unless your filthy rich do not buy the canon its probably the most over rated lens there is. I owned it for 4 months and sold it. Maybe i got a bad copy but there was hardly any difference between the two. Maybe it was my expectations of it being the godliest lens canon engineers had ever made.
The sigma 120-300 f2.8 os was awesome wide open. and the zoom was just awesome too. especially if birds came top close. with the canon 300 and 2x. image lost. maybe just go for a head shot. but the 120-300 zoom out boom there you go. perfect shot.
If only the sigma was lighter oh god it would be amazing. Just simply amazing.
If the new one has better optics it will be as sharp as my canon 70-200 f2.8 is ii which is suppose the benchmark for a zoom. the 120-300 f2.8 os was sharper than my canon 400mm f5.6 prime as well which is quite an amazing lens on its own.

Last edited:
There is no way in history that the canon 300mm f2.8 II is worth $5000 more than the sigma. NO NO NO Way.
Whether one lens is worth a premium over another is an individual thing. I know folks that have Sigma lenses and are pleased with them but I also now folks that would never use a Sigma lens, its an individual preference. It may not be worth it to you but it is not for you to say if it is worth it for other folk!!!.
As for me the weight difference alone most certainly makes the Canon worth over double the price of the sigma 120-300. Mind you I will admit to be bias - personally I would sooner give up photography than use a Sigma lens so in your words YES YES YES the Canon is most certainly worth the premium TO ME.
If you are happy with the Siggy then that is great - enjoy it :t: but please do not tell me what is worth it to me, only I can decide that.

Haha sorry Roy. I'll change my post in my opinion the value hahaha. . I would say the change in sharpness was because he fine tuned it to his camera using the dock. Which could have been why sigma has been hit and miss for years. It's good to see sigma stepping up though and with with them bringing out 300 mm and 500mm next year atleast canons big whites might come down in price.

It's good to see sigma stepping up though and with with them bringing out 300 mm and 500mm next year atleast canons big whites might come down in price.

Those rumours about Sigma's new telephoto lenses (300,400,500, 800) are just that. Rumours. Taken fron canonrumors.com probably: a site which doesn't have a very good track record of predicting anything accurately.

I can't see it happening myself. Big lenses like those are such a niche product and they can't make much profit in them.

Just got my 120-300 OS today. A way sharper than any of my current lenses including 135 f2. Well, if I can afford, I don't mind buying 300 II but Sigma is capable of delivering great optics at a more reasonable price is without any doubt. The price difference pays for better QC, better after sale, better 2nd hand price and better longevity
As a bird shooter, what we frequently are super teles...in the range of 500-800..so this is just a beginning lens

Hello there folks! I just joined BF today, and am seeking inputs and advice. I'm sorry if this is a bit if a repeat, but any help would be absolutely great.

I have purchased a Sigma 120-300 mm f2.8 lens to go with my Canon 7D. I have used the 150-500 mm Sigma and wanted a faster lens. The primes were beyond my budget, so went in for a used, but extremely well maintained one.

I have a 500D, which I use as a secondary camera for landscape of amateur macro shots, using the Tamron 70-300 mm.

I wanted to ask the experts here, about using the lens with a 1.4 & 2X teleconverter. I have a Kenko 1.4 Pro TC now.

I photograph a lot of birds in India. I started off "shooting" Tigers, but Birding has got me really hooked on. Tigers and Leopards continue to be my preferred choice though.

Any advise will help me make the decision of going in for a TC. I'm kinda confused, and wanted some good advise in making the right decision. And if a TC is recommended, which one do you suggest, a Kenko 2X pro, A Sigma or the Canon 2X.

Appreciate the inputs!

Regards,

Karthik

I had a 120-300 sigma a few years ago. Without converters it was OK, with 1.4 just about acceptable but poor with 2 times TC.
I traded it in for a Canon 100-400 and saw an immediate improvement in image quality.

hi Karthik,
I am eager to know your experiences with the sigma 120-300 ft.8 with Canon 7D.
I am currently using a 7D and considering adding the sigma 120-300 f2.8.
my main concern is the focusing speed.
appreciate your sharing good and not so good experiences of that combination.
Thanks,
kc lèe

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back