• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Legend 8x26 reverse porro (1 Viewer)

KorHaan

Hi everyone,

Since I've bought a pair of Pentax Papilio 6.5x21's I am paying some attention to reverse porro designs, as the fit in the hands is extremely nice and the weight is modest. They are not waterproof, though, and I'm looking for a WP reverse porro to use under wet conditions.

I've come across these:

http://www.bushnelloutdoorproducts.eu/www_bushnell/eu/produits/all/binoculars/legend-porro/190826/

Has anyone tried these, or does anyone own a pair? And how do they perform?

From the specs everything looks promising, except for the 96m FOV. Weight would be acceptable, since I'm planning to use a bino harness if I'd buy them. The proprietary Rainguard coating on the lenses is a really nice feature, I think.

I'd be delighted to read your comments.

Best regards,

Ronald

Ronald
I tried a pair of these months ago since I have owned other binos in the Legend line for many years, but wound up returning them. They weighed in at 15.5 oz instead of the 14 oz advertised - at least on my postage scale. They did not have a very large sweetspot, the focus knob was stiff and uneven in its travel, and they showed a little more glare than I like. The focus knob may loosen up with time but it took some effort to get it to "break" and start moving. I see that Bushnell has discontinued these and have come out with the HD model with a little different look to the armoring, focus knob and upper housing where the focus knob is. The specs are identical to the old model, so it may just be cosmetic changes.

When I bought these I was looking for a waterproof alternative to my 8x25 Olympus Tracker, and was also considering the 8x25 Leupold Rogue, which I have not tried. Guess you have some different alternative brands across the pond.

P.S. Today I bought a pair of 8x26 Alpen Shasta Ridge which are waterproof and have similar specs to the Legends. I'll let you kmow what I think of them when I get them in the mail.

A bino harness for one of these minis, reminds me of that saying of bringing a knife to a gunfight;)

Last edited:
Nikon Prostaff 8 x 25 ATB binoculars are waterproof reverse porros and have a FOV of about 330' but they seem to be out of stock with most dealers recently. Eagle Optics lists them for $99.00. They are basically the same as the non waterproof Travelites.

BTW, I don't think you will need a harness. A high quality shoe lace should suffice.:king:

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks, gentlemen,

Well, maybe a bino harness is a bit of overkill, but I'm still suffering from lugging around the Canon 18x50 IS's one time too many. I decided I'd be looking at lightweight bins that I can have around my neck all day, and the Papilio's are certainly much more comfortable than any of my other bins. Even the Canon 10x30 IS weighing 650 grams is too much.
The Bushnells are sold here, so I thought I might order a pair. But I'm not sure now, I keep away from bins with stiff focus wheels.
The Nikon Prostaff 8x25 may be a better choice, but I have to see if it's available here.

Otherwise I may have to look into the 8x32 roof category, in which case a bino harness will be almost mandatory because I don't like having 500-600 grams around my neck anymore.

The Papilio's will do for now; the strap is fine and the weight almost unnoticeable.

I was reading Mark Cocker's "Birders - Tales of a Tribe" for the eleventh time yesterday,
actually the chapter about the late Richard Richardson, the charismatic 'guardian of the East Bank' in Norfolk.
Cocker says: His bins were held at chestheight and they were tiny. They were deliberately chosen, to be worn at all times. They were birder's bins.

I'm going that route, too. Small is good. Incredibly easy to bring to the eyes, and hold them up for ages. Never could that with heavier bins. I walk around with the reverse porro's everywhere. Never have to consider if I should bring a bin, I just take them with me. What a relief.

Best regards,

Ronald

Nikon Prostaff 8 x 25 ATB binoculars are waterproof reverse porros and have a FOV of about 330' but they seem to be out of stock with most dealers recently. Eagle Optics lists them for $99.00. They are basically the same as the non waterproof Travelites.
Bob

'Cept the Prostaff FOV is 330' vs. the Travelite's 293'. (If the Prostaff was closer to 350' I'd have bought a pair.)

Howard

'Cept the Prostaff FOV is 330' vs. the Travelite's 293'. (If the Prostaff was closer to 350' I'd have bought a pair.)

Howard

I bought a a pair of the Nikon Prostaffs 8x25 reverse porro's and I like them alot. The optics are very good in fact they are as good as the Olympus Trackers 8x25 with a slightly larger FOV. They are a little heavier @12.5 oz. and they have a nice rubber armour protecting them. Of course there big advantage is that they are waterproof and fogproof. I feel the build quality is better than the Olympus's. I had trouble with my two week old Olympus's. In fact here is what happened:
OLYMPUS TRACKERS BITE THE DUST IN TWO WEEKS! THEY MELT IN THE SUN!
I bought a pair of Nikon 8x25 Prostaff's because I thought it would be nice to have a waterproof and fogproof pair of reverse porro's so I am out on my deck comparing them to my Olympus 8x25 Tracker's and actually they were about optically equal with the Nikon's. The Nikon's having a slightly bigger FOV. The Nikon's also have a nice rubber armour protecting them which makes them nice to hold and of course they are waterproof and fogproof. They are almost twice the price though running around $100.00 compared to $50.00 for the Olympus. And then guess what happened and trust me I have not dropped or jarred them in anyway. In the right lens of the Olympus at the top edge of the field I start to see like a little u forming and I don't think to much about it but then I look again and it getting worse. Now there are two of them. It was a warmer day and it was almost like glue or something was melting and causing something to come loose at the top edge of the field on my binoculars. Weird huh? Ever seen that before? I have never had that problem before on any of my binoculars but of course I have never had $50.00 binoculars before. It looks like the objective lenses on the Olympus are GLUED in. The Nikon's appear to be screwed in. Anyway I sent the Olympus back for a refund and I was thinking "You get what you pay for". So even though the Olympus Tracker 8x25 provides a great view for the money I would have to say I question there durability and I don't think I will be buying anymore after that experience. We will see how the Nikon Prostaff 8x25 holds up.

Hi Dennis,

Weight of the Prostaff seems OK to my new standards, 12.5 oz. is good.
No Rainguard coating, but I guess they come with an ocular rainguard?
How is the focus wheel? Does it turn smoothly?

Tomorrow my wife and I are going on vacation for 10 days, to my favourite birding destination, the island of Texel. Catch up with you guys later,

Cheers,

Ronald

Hi Dennis,

Weight of the Prostaff seems OK to my new standards, 12.5 oz. is good.
No Rainguard coating, but I guess they come with an ocular rainguard?
How is the focus wheel? Does it turn smoothly?

Tomorrow my wife and I are going on vacation for 10 days, to my favourite birding destination, the island of Texel. Catch up with you guys later,

Cheers,

Ronald

The focus wheel is quite smooth. Typical of Nikon. Almost as good as the LX series. This Nikon Prostaff 8x25 looks and feels like a little Nikon 8x42 Monarch and the optics are very similar although not as bright of course because I compared them to a Nikon 8x42 Monarch in the store. They come with a rainguard and a nice cordura belt case and strap. Also, they have a nice rubber armour protecting them, as well as, being waterproof and fogproof. Also, at 330 feet a larger FOV. Definitely worth the difference in price over the Olympus 8x25 Trackers. Enjoy your trip and see some birds for me. I e-mailed Nikon too see what the Prostaff field stops are made of and what could have possibly caused the problem with the Olympus Trackers melting down. I will post the answer when they reply.

Last edited:
Yeah, I never could figure that out. The 9 x 25 Travelite also has a 293' field. Doesn't make sense.

Bob

No, it doesn't, and that's why I bought the 9x instead of the 8x. If you're getting the same true field, why not take the one with a little more oomph?

Despite only a 330' field I'm tempted to someday get a Prostaff based on Dennis's initial experience with his. Just this morning I bought a riding lawnmower, so that puts a little crimp into my toy purchases.

Howard

Let me get this straight. You consider a riding lawn mower a toy?:h?:

Bob

Some people I know who own them say they're great fun. I have a 71 year-old friend who, his wife told me, considers his his favorite toy. I'm scheduled to get mine delivered on Thursday; I hope I end up feeling at least enthusiastic each time I need to use it!

Now I need to get me some coveralls and a straw hat.... Good thing the mower has a cup holder for my Old Milwaukee. (Man, it doesn't get any better than this.")

:king:

When we were little kids, maybe 5-10 years old- our dad would buy used/broken riding mowers and rehab them. Some with blades some without. We'd ride them around a big field during the summer. It was a BLAST!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back