• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Hummingbird in South Florida (1 Viewer)

AGPank

I've lived in South Florida for 15 years and saw my first hummingbird today. It was high up in my neighbors tree and I didn't bet my binoculars up to ID it.

I'm sure they come here, just haven't sent them before. I was used to seeing so many in the summer in Colorado.

Funny thing was this summer I also saw humming bird moths for the first time too.

AG,
Good sighting! Hummingbird sightings in south Florida are fairly uncommon so not surprising you haven't seen any previously. The southern limit to the Ruby-throated's range in summer is around Stuart. In the winter there are occasional feeder watch reports in south Florida but it is not sure if these are just migrating through or over wintering. In either case, the sightings are pretty uncommon. We are also starting to get some reports of Rufous Hummingbirds over wintering in the south eastern states including Florida.

I didn't see much color, my guess is female. From the brief view I could tell a lighter color, possibly gray breast, and darker back and wings.

this year has been strange indeed. I've had an actual orange hummingbird here all winter so far, I'd think it will freeze to death, but he comes around and pecks at things that are red. I can only feed him on the very odd day that it's above freezing, The feeder would burst as soon as it froze, i can't understand what the hell it's eating this time of year. All I can think is that someone illegally keeps him as a pet, The wierdest thing is he's orange and white and like a silvery, I bet someone cruelly painted him orange. I've been around for years and never seen a humingbird of this color, or one any time after the end of september. I live in Maine and it's very cold in the winter here, I just don't understand how this little bird is living

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back