• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fixed-wide or variable eyepiece (1 Viewer)

Wetstuff

Folks, I'm sure buried in posting history are multiple answers to this dilemma. But, there must be a consensus, at least among the mfgrs, as they all seem to ship with variable lens.

I have a Swaro ATS 65 inbound with a variable lens, but want to optimize my wife's experience. I would never expect her to view at extreme distances if that makes a difference. The fixed lens available for this model is the 30X Wide.

My question seems specific to this scope, but I think others would appreciate a general answer. Thanks.

Jim

I prefer fixed wide for >95% of my scope use. It isn't a matter of distance, it is a matter of bird size versus distance. I spend a lot of time looking at distant ducks (up to ~1 mile or more) many of which are still identifiable at 30x. I either switch to 50x wide for extended high mag viewing, or to a zoom for quick high mag views.

--AP

I have a Swaro ATS 65 inbound with a variable lens, but want to optimize my wife's experience. I would never expect her to view at extreme distances if that makes a difference. The fixed lens available for this model is the 30X Wide.

Swarovski has two zoom eypieces, the 20-60x and the 25-50x Wide. The 25-50 has as much field of view on the lower end as the 30x w. So if you have the 25-50x, no point getting the 30x w. If you have the 20-60x, it may be worthwhile...

Thanks for the reply... I found inventory of new 30X eyepieces in S. Africa at a decent price (due to currency conversion), but their contractural rules do not allow them to ship out-of-country.

Dalat.. I have the 20x60x ...at least the 25-50 W is the second option. Thanks.

Jim

Last edited:
If the scope will accept standard 1.25" astronomy eyepieces there is a very large array of options.

I am fairly new to birding and just shopping for my first spotting scope but I have 3 telescopes and a bunch of eyepieces and I see that many scopes will accept them. So that would be a good option.

FL of scope / FL of eyepiece = Magnification

If you know the FL of the scope you can determine what the mag will be with any eyepiece.

Likewise the astronomy eyepieces have an AFOV, apparent field of view specification so you can estimate what the actual field of view will be.

AFOV / Magnification = true field of view. At least that is how we do it with telescopes and these spotters are just special use telescopes as far as I can tell.

Here is a rich source for telescope eyepieces:
www.agenaastro.com

Don't know if that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back