• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Other Nikon options?? help... (1 Viewer)

chrisduval

I'd like to stick with a Coolpix as it seems that the Nikon adaptors are easy to use and friendly with their Fieldscopes. But since the widely recommended digiscoping cameras (4500 and 9** series) are discontinued, is it possibly better to find a new 7900, 5600, 8400, 5000, 880 camera rather than try my luck on something that is refurbished?

If so, which Nikon camera(s), other than the 4500 and 9** seem to be getting the best results?

I want to make sure that if I spend this money, I'll be getting a camera of quality rather than one that may (or may not) have some serious faults...

Chris

I use the 8400 and am very happy with it. Drawbacks - works without vignetting only almost at the end of the zoom range (75-85mm). I zoom with the eyepiece. @iso 50 the quality is great and acceptable @ iso 100. The optics is great and the EVF is the best answer to a sun-lit day.

Hi Yossi
Which scope are you using the 8400 with?
Is anyone digiscoping with the 8400 and a Swaro ST80 hd (the older swarovski)
Richard

If you want to stay with Nikon, take a look at the 7900 or the new P serie. They are not convenient as the 4500 for external battery pack and rotating LCD, but they are much more faster, easy to crop with almost no lost in quality and with the DS eyepiece there are no vignetting at all at widest angle of the camera. Watch in my gallery some picture taken with the P1. I just make made some print of 8"x10" I have taken and the quality are really good and pin sharp.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back