• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hebrew Character, Setaceous Hebrew Character and Double Square-spot (1 Viewer)

robmeades

Put me out of my misery - what are the key (reliable) visual differences between a Hebrew Character, a Setaceous Hebrew Character and a Double Square-spot?

To give you some examples, see attached (the filenames give away my guesses).

Attachments

• hebrew_character_1.jpg
    hebrew_character_1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 78
  • hebrew_character.jpg
    hebrew_character.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 86
  • setaceous_hebrew_character.jpg
    setaceous_hebrew_character.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 98
  • double_square-spot.jpg
    double_square-spot.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 94
  • setaceous_hebrew_character_1.jpg
    setaceous_hebrew_character_1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
This is probably way off the mark, but one of the reasons I'd separated them as I have is 'cos of the shape of the main markings on the wings:

Attachments

• hebrew_character_markings.jpg
    hebrew_character_markings.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 190
Well you're correct with all your "guesses"

Hebrew Character is spring species (though I did have one in Oct. Broadest of the 3 with no streak near apex.

SHC is narrowest, usually prupleish and as you've identified, it's "character" is quite a different shape.

Interesting post, Rob. SHC usually seems to have a black apical mark, too. Don't forget to watch out for triple-spotted clay!
Ken

Attachments

• triple spotted clay1a.jpg
    triple spotted clay1a.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Bugger, the Triple-spotted Clay seems to have the same "character" shape as the Double Square-spot. Bang goes that marker.

I have to admit that i'm not entirely sure what separated TSC from DSS - although I think the TSC has a rather richer colour with a somewhat purplish sheen.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back