• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many shorebirds do you see in this photo? (1 Viewer)

I estimated 580 in a 5-second scan. I shall now go back and count! I do regular migrant counts in my local patch and it would be useful to see if I tend to go high or low. Most people tend to underestimate by 30-50%.

About 550 ...I will let someone else do an exact count :) Hope I'm not way out - I do counts like that every week on my local patch in numbers up to 1000 - 2000 waders and 10000 wildfowl

My estimation skills are as bad as I thought - I guessed approx 300 which fits in with the 30-50% bit. Interesting.

Er - what photo? We used to do regular counts of gulls coming in to roost at reservoirs. Between us we came up with fairly consistent results (by counting in groups of ten or fifty). We also came up with a rule of thumb which I have tested many times with flocks up to about a thousand. Glance at the flock, take the first number that pops into head and double it. This matches very well your observation that estimates are usually only 30 to 50% of the real total.

Sheesh - I only guessed ~250. I think our mind sort of forgets about all the birds that are partially obscured and forgets that in real life the birds are several layers deep.

That is a good demonstration - I will remember it!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back