• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare in these parts (1 Viewer)

Ragley

Hi

I'm not a bird watcher, more of a bird amirer, and to that end, I always look out for the Red Kites that live on the Chiltern Escarpment (Stockenchurch) area of the M40, while on my way to the South East on business.

Imagine my surprise, when I left my house in Studley, Warks. yesterday evening at 18:10 and looked-up to see a Red Kite soaring overhead. Now I may be wrong, but the Forked Tail indicated that it wasn't a Buzzard, of which we have many in the area, but it was about the same wing-span and a rich brown in colour. If not a Kite, what could it have been?

I watched it for about 8-10 minutes as it soared around, generally following the River Arrow southward toward Alcester.

Is this unusual, or are the Kites generally moving northward from the South Oxfordshire area?

All the best
Dave R

They do seem to those occasional strayers these days, with the increased numbers. Had one over Walsall a few summers ago, but its still a good sighting.

Hi Dave,

I've no doubt it was a Red Kite. They have spread further to the north-west from the Chilterns in recent years.

I travel regularly each week between Worcester and London and it's now the norm to see them up to around junction 10 of the M40, over the A44 just south of Chipping Norton and also just south of Stow. Much of the habitat is very similar to the Chilterns, so presumaby they are just seeking out new breeding territories. This has also led to an increase in regular sightings in to Warks and Worcs.

Brian

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

For many years, my wife and I used to walk the Brecons, particulary the Western end near Llanduesant (Llandovery). We would climb to the top of Bannau Sir Gaer and Fan Brycheiniog over looking the lakes of Llyn y Fan Fawr and Fach and watch the Kites above.

This area is known for its Red Kites, and they have given me a lot of pleasure, so if I have an affinity with a bird then it must be the Red Kite.

I'm getting too old and heavy for climbing mountains now, so lets hope they stay in my area of Warwickshire

Dave R

For years I've looked forward to the day I can look up and see a red kite over Alcester.... looks like I missed a chance yesterday!

Hi Mary

You missed it again!

About 7:00 this evening, flying along the Arrow again, but this time going North toward Redditch

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back