• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (4 Viewers)

In the meetings did they discuss environmental impact with stuff like Great crested Newts and Grass Snakes. Do you get Water Voles there, I've definitely seen Water Shrew. I'm just not sure what benefit they are looking for

In the meetings did they discuss environmental impact with stuff like Great crested Newts and Grass Snakes. Do you get Water Voles there, I've definitely seen Water Shrew. I'm just not sure what benefit they are looking for

Apparently the boating people don't like reeds as they hinder their views as they are going along - a really pathetic excuse for what they are doing, I know!!!

I wasn't at the meeting so I don't know what species were discussed. I have submitted records for all those you mention except Water Vole - which I have never recorded here and the closest record I've ever found for this species is around Hanbury Wharfe in the late 70's.

If they want to clean up canals for boaters get down to the one I walk along at Oldbury......the amount of rubbish tipped into canal is amazing....and a dead Badger to boot.

Apparently the boating people don't like reeds as they hinder their views as they are going along - a really pathetic excuse for what they are doing, I know!!!

I wasn't at the meeting so I don't know what species were discussed. I have submitted records for all those you mention except Water Vole - which I have never recorded here and the closest record I've ever found for this species is around Hanbury Wharfe in the late 70's.

Maybe the boating people should take it in turns to steer, while the others walk on the towpath and enjoy the view! They'd keep a lot fitter.

took a walk from new chawson area of the canal up to the ladywood area,I like to look on the logical side of things but I just can't see any here, photos as you progress up the canal 2nd photo coney,to be fair there is another area cleared on a bend this mainly covered by brambles and saplings.Already has had an impact, fishing pegs normally filled with frogs about now, no sign tonight (lots in coney open area)

Attachments

• IMG_4632.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG
    411.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4636.JPG
    IMG_4636.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4638.JPG
    IMG_4638.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4642.JPG
    IMG_4642.JPG
    620 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4644.JPG
    IMG_4644.JPG
    532.5 KB · Views: 45
Birds this evening 4 Chafffinch,lots of Goldcrest,Reed Buntings all singing along the canal plus song thrush.Buzzards mating,spring is in the air, about 70+ Pied wagtail came in to roost followed by a Sparrowhawk, later Water rail calling and then a Barn Owl only 12 foot in front of the screen it then circled around down to the Salwarpe river clockwise coming back diving down in the long grass behind me.

Attachments

• IMG_4645.JPG
    IMG_4645.JPG
    565.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4649.JPG
    IMG_4649.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4653.JPG
    IMG_4653.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4666.JPG
    IMG_4666.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4667.JPG
    IMG_4667.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 35
A Little Egret just flew down the valley over Mildenham - my first on the patch this year.

Also new for the year- a Chiffchaff between Tapenhall and Chatley.

Edit- another Chiffchaff singing at Hawford - must've been an overnight influx.

Edit 2 - a second Chiffchaff at Hawford with obvious dark pollen 'horn' around its bill - undoubtedly fresh from the mediterranean.

Last edited:
Today almost qualified as a 'fall' of Chiffcaffs. Totals were as follows:

1 flew towards Lucy's Wood from a hedge between Chatley and Tapenhall
3+ around Hawford including an obvious 'pollinated' bird.
2 around Salwarpe village.
1 Gorsey Bank.
1 Harford Hill.

It has been quite difficult in recent years to pinpoint the true arrival date for this species. However, with no overwintering birds noted since December, its pretty obvious that today witnessed the arrival of genuine migrant Chiffchaffs. The bird showing pollen horn is only the second example I've ever seen - it must've been feeding on eucalyptus and citrus blooms in the med within the past 2 or 3 days.

A Blackcap singing full song also recorded this morning at Linacre may also have been a migrant but there has been a continuous presence of this species so its difficult to e sure. The sub-songing male was still present west of Salwarpe.

Further species noted since Friday:

Little Owl at Ladywood yesterday afternoon.
2 Yellowhammers Egg Lane on Friday.

Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtails, a couple of Siskins, Kingfisher, Canada Geese, Cormorants, drake Tufted Duck, Grey Heron, Redwings, Fieldfares, Coal Tits, 3 Nuthatches together in one tree this afternoon, Treeecreeper, Kestrel, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, a few Snipes Coney, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Pied Wags, several flocks of Starlings, Goldcrests, Bullfinches, Reed Buntings, etc.

Just four Sand Martins roosted this evening.

Other species recorded this weekend include a Tawny Owl hooting at Salwarpe yesterday evening. A Redpoll over just west of Salwarpe on Friday, Yellowhammers, Skylarks, Cormorants, Chiffchaffs increasingly numerous and widespread, Blackcap in full song at Harford Hill farm, Grey Herons, Linnets, Siskins, Nuthatches, Long-tailed Tits building a nest, Tufted Duck, Kestrels, a Sparrowhawk caught a Pied Wagtail at Coney as they gathered to roost yesterday evening, Grey Wagtails, Canada Geese , Meadow Pipits, Goldcrests and winter thrushes.

Further news from the patch over the past few days:

2 Coots on small pool between Hawford and Chatley.
Yellowhammer near Chatley
Singing Blackcaps in various places including Coney Meadow, Gorsey Bank, Salwarpe and Harford Hill.
2 Little Owls Ladywood
Peregrine seen over Ladywood and Coney/Salwarpe
Winter Thrushes beginning to decline in numbers

Canada Geese, Water Rails, Snipes, RL Partridges, Grey Herons, Cormorants, Meadow Pipits, Kestrels, Buzzards, Sparrowhawks, Chiffchaffs singing from every bit of suitable habitat, Coat Tits, both of the common woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Goldcrests, Tufted Duck, Ravens, Kingfishers, Reed Buntings, Grey Wagtails, Pied Wagtails, Bullfinches, Jays, Stock Doves, etc.

Butterflies included 4 Brimstones, 3 Commas, 2 Small Tortoiseshells and 2 Peacocks.

A Pipistrelle was flying about in broad daylight at Salwarpe yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:
Redhead Goosander just flew over Coney heading south - new for the year.

One Swallow again this evening.

30 odd Meadow Pipits over flying north in two flocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back