• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooded crow's weird call (1 Viewer)

keleran

Hi everyone,

I was near a bird feeder the other day when a hooded crow landed on a nearby tree and started to make rather weird sounds. I've recorded them, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frS-P-Qv1I8. Can anyone please give some comments - is it some kind of a mating call, or a sign of aggression, or just a random noise? I've never heard such calls before (not to say that I heard a lot). A few days later I saw another crow making the exact same call about a mile away from the previous location.

I don't know what its significance is, but I've heard exactly the same call from Carrion Crows on several occasions.

PS welcome to Birdforum!

I haven't never heard that. Wow!

I remember that once couple years a go - It might been Late Feb -or March - I heard honking like sound. I thought it is some Goose, but it was too early for Gooses. It turned out that it was a crow that makes that honking noise. Crows have surprisingly wide vocabulary and they are very intresting birds.

I recognise the sound, and similar from jackdaws and rooks. I'm no expert, but I always associate it with pairs, communicating with each other. What about, I've no idea!

Thank you all for the responses!

I've spent some time searching on the web. While there are almost no info on the hooded crows, there is a lot on their cousins, american crows. The rattling/clicking/"comb" call was noted by many researchers and is often associated with "mating activities, though what their actual role is remains unclear" (1, 2). There are many other guesses, but in the given context it seems like the most plausible one.

I also found another species which makes this call: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQwA14YWdqA :)

Last edited:
hooded crow's weird call

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is not current but I came across it when I was looking for answers and I wanted to share my experience. I live in Istanbul (Turkey). For a couple of years, I've made friends with a hooded crow. I think it's a male because recently he started bringing along with him a smaller sized adult bird, which I assume is his mate. Anyway, he recognizes me and taps me on the head with the tip of his wing when I am walking on the street, to ask for food. Or he also visits my office window for his food too. Whenever he comes to the window, he makes this weird call to let me know that he is there. So I think it is some form of a communication, a greeting maybe. In this context, it doesn't seem to be a mating call.

I love these crows. They are so intelligent :)

Best wishes,
Sima

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back