• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover ID Algarve (1 Viewer)

I think you are correct but rather a female as April is too early for juvs.

Actually on a 2nd look, Ringed Plover looks better.......

Weren’t you right the first time Steve? By April, 2cy ring plovers would show either black on nape or rear collar and orange leg colour would they not? Leg colour rules out adult ringed plover of either sex (orange legs in winter plumage too?) A 2cy Kentish would have worn flight feathers in spring cf adult (pre-breeding moult) but otherwise very similar (do these look worn?). Are the l.covs retained juveniles feathers too? Structurely, I see leggy with long thin bill.

Last edited:
Weren’t you right the first time Steve? By April, 2cy ring plovers would show either black on nape or rear collar and orange leg colour would they not? Leg colour rules out adult ringed plover of either sex (orange legs in winter plumage too?) A 2cy Kentish would have worn flight feathers in spring cf adult (pre-breeding moult) but otherwise very similar (do these look worn?). Are the l.covs retained juveniles feathers too? Structurely, I see leggy with long thin bill.

The base of the lower mandible seems to be contrastingly pale, which would be better for RP it also looks broad based for KP. The legs are muddy, so leg colour is obscured. The crown seems quite rounded to me for KP too though the primary projecton looks short for RP and better for KP. All what you say makes sense though, I'd thought about the worn plumage and thought about an imm. (2nd cal yr) female RP with bleached plumage. I have been watching fledglings and adult (not quite of flying size) KPs running around today and thought about this ID request. I'm undecided and for such a photo I'm finding this really tricky ;)

No more photos?

The base of the lower mandible seems to be contrastingly pale, which would be better for RP it also looks broad based for KP. The legs are muddy, so leg colour is obscured. The crown seems quite rounded to me for KP too though the primary projecton looks short for RP and better for KP. All what you say makes sense though, I'd thought about the worn plumage and thought about an imm. (2nd cal yr) female RP with bleached plumage. I have been watching fledglings and adult (not quite of flying size) KPs running around today and thought about this ID request. I'm undecided and for such a photo I'm finding this really tricky ;)

No more photos?

I haven'y got much of a different angle on this I'm afraid Simon.

Attachments

• Plover !D2.jpg
    Plover !D2.jpg
    868.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Plover ID3.jpg
    Plover ID3.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 25
Thanks John, its a female Kentish alright, age, at least 2 cal yr. Don't why I was having so many problems with this but the first picture did throw me!

Phew, glad we got that sorted! Apologies Simon for calling you ‘Steve’ in the above post. Dont know where that came from :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back