• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corfu,Greece. (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

There isn't a lot of information about Corfu birding available on the internet.
I found 4 suggested sites on the island but few species to go with them when I visited. My trip was a last minute October bargain to grab some sunshine and good food and that was hugely successful but the birding was as I expected it, not too exciting.
Maybe Spring would be better?
Anyway, Corfu is a very popular holiday destination and somewhere a non birding partner would be happy to go I'm sure.
Judge for yourselves!
http://davewilliamsnaturephotograph...corfu-2018some-very-healthy-advice-first.html
I also offer some advice about holiday travel insurance which you might find interesting. Don't make the mistake I made of not mentioning something you believe is not worthy of declaring on your application/renewal documents.
cheers Dave

Nice report, Dave. I've contemplated a visit to Corfu, so it was good to read.

And sorry to hear about all the medical issues.

Nice report, Dave. I've contemplated a visit to Corfu, so it was good to read.

And sorry to hear about all the medical issues.

Thanks Jeff, hope they will all be behind me soon and I can start planning next year's Big Year photo target!

Unless you have a lot of time I'm not sure I'd include Corfu coming from where you are. For birding Lesbos in the spring would be ideal as there is plenty of information to be had about where to go, what is about at any given time.
As a holiday island Crete probably offers a greater variety purely because of it's size and history but there are lots of other islands to choose too.

Thanks Jeff, hope they will all be behind me soon and I can start planning next year's Big Year photo target!

Unless you have a lot of time I'm not sure I'd include Corfu coming from where you are. For birding Lesbos in the spring would be ideal as there is plenty of information to be had about where to go, what is about at any given time.
As a holiday island Crete probably offers a greater variety purely because of it's size and history but there are lots of other islands to choose too.

Actually I was thinking about tagging it onto a trip around the southern Balkans. There are only a few new species possible for me in that area (even on Corfu), but it would be mainly to tick off a few countries I haven't been to. ;)

Always interesting to read about under-reported locations, even if they don't produce much ornithologically.
Glad the worst worries are behind you Dave.
Your reports are always of great interest to me, and the photographs are fantastic.

Thanks all, appreciate your interest.
Jeff, I always fancied island hopping around the Greek islands but I don't think I will get around to doing that now. Too much luggage to carry around! I have never been to mainland Greece but neighbouring Bulgaria is a fabulous birding destination.
Wolfbirder, looking forwards to the two PL fixtures vs Wolves. My son and I have tickets and hope to meet up with my sister and her husband who are season ticket holders at Molineux.The last time I went there I'm afraid Liverpool we won the old 1st Division title in the process of beating Wolves and sealing their fate to relegation, I think it was the last match of the season. The last match of the season is again, vs Wolves but at Anfield. I hope to see us parade the PL trophy but not at the expense of a similar relegation if it can be avoided.
Dream on I hear shouted across the land !!!!!!

Thanks all, appreciate your interest.
Jeff, I always fancied island hopping around the Greek islands but I don't think I will get around to doing that now. Too much luggage to carry around! I have never been to mainland Greece but neighbouring Bulgaria is a fabulous birding destination.
Wolfbirder, looking forwards to the two PL fixtures vs Wolves. My son and I have tickets and hope to meet up with my sister and her husband who are season ticket holders at Molineux.The last time I went there I'm afraid Liverpool we won the old 1st Division title in the process of beating Wolves and sealing their fate to relegation, I think it was the last match of the season. The last match of the season is again, vs Wolves but at Anfield. I hope to see us parade the PL trophy but not at the expense of a similar relegation if it can be avoided.
Dream on I hear shouted across the land !!!!!!

Indeed Dave there were so many Reds fans there I couldn't get in, there must have been 30,000 Liverpool fans there. Official gate given 48900 but there were more likely 65000 there, genuinely. Not happy memories.

Much preferred the Cup two seasons ago at Anfield, sadly no tickets again for me. But I will be at the Molineux fixture! The Reds are looking very good, he says with a worried frown :)-

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back