• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF 524223 REVIEWS? (1 Viewer)

Look at the FIRST question I asked at the BEGINNING of the thread, I NEVER ask for any of this just links to REVIEWS of the Victory 8x42 SF 524223.

Start your own thread on your complaints of the bino's, I NEVER asked for all this repetition that has NOTHING to do with the original post.

Should be an embarrassment to the mods for never saying "STAY ON SUBJECT", not to mention never getting one link to a review.
LOCK the thread Lee, Jesus!

Planetmaker

Reviews are nothing more than peoples' experiences of a bino. Folks here are telling what their experiences are. If we don't allow folks to post about this then Birdforum would be a poorer place.

Lee

Only time I ever noticed a blue ring around the edge of the view was in a 10x42 Vortex Razor (MIJ version).
I found it too distracting and returned it.

I don't believe I ever noticed this in any other binocular. I do wonder if the higher mags may reveal it more.
Pileatus seems on to something here and perhaps the issue is simply due to eye relief and need to adjust it and/or user facial features (eye alignment / eye relief issues).

I tried 8x42 and 10x42 SF and didn't notice any colored rings around the edge when trying them briefly, so it seems very individual and not an across the board experience.

Planetmaker

Reviews are nothing more than peoples' experiences of a bino. Folks here are telling what their experiences are. If we don't allow folks to post about this then Birdforum would be a poorer place.

Lee

Sorry but that just isn't how internet forum are supposed to function - mods are used to keep topics on point, keep posters civil and courteous, keep posters from pushing agendas or using repetitive posting to do the same.

When the same poster comments fifty times in 10 threads about marks on the gray SF's or orange rings, that's [IMO] out-of-line. Note it once, fine but pushing it ad naseum, while also pushing another particular optic is just all too familiar to most of us here.

I've been warned a few times about trying to call out this sort of behaviour, and that's OK, I'm not a mod., but there are others here that clearly agree and allowing this sort of ''discussion'' to drive post counts lowers the level of discourse.

All IMO.

Sorry but that just isn't how internet forum are supposed to function - mods are used to keep topics on point, keep posters civil and courteous, keep posters from pushing agendas or using repetitive posting to do the same.

When the same poster comments fifty times in 10 threads about marks on the gray SF's or orange rings, that's [IMO] out-of-line. Note it once, fine but pushing it ad naseum, while also pushing another particular optic is just all too familiar to most of us here.

I've been warned a few times about trying to call out this sort of behaviour, and that's OK, I'm not a mod., but there are others here that clearly agree and allowing this sort of ''discussion'' to drive post counts lowers the level of discourse.

All IMO.

Noted

Lee

Dennis I was referring to Peatmoss's photos.

Lee

Lee, just to clarify, the camera angle through the objective is about 15 to 20 degrees off-axis. Since the SF's fov is 8 degrees, it corresponds to about two field widths. There is nothing exceptional or "crazy" about such an angle. It is well know that the closer a strong light source is to the optical axis, the more likely you are to encounter glare. This merely supports that, albeit with orange glare rather than the typical white.

Planetmaker

Lee

As the original tread starter I know what I was asking and not to be told how I asks the question.
I asked for links to reviews not a whining session of poor experiences, just written reviews, how you can manipulate a personal interpretation of what I asked is just controlling,

As the original tread starter I know what I was asking and not to be told how I asks the question.
I asked for links to reviews not a whining session of poor experiences, just written reviews, how you can manipulate a personal interpretation of what I asked is just controlling,

I agree with you, and you are being trolled by Dennis, he does this all
the time, repeats himself, has to have the last word, etc.

The mods. should do something, so complain to the admin. You have a
good complaint this time.

I feel for a newer member on the site. Good luck.

Jerry

I'm not getting any younger but, to my eyes the sf isn't quite as sharp and as vivlid As the Swarovski . Not that it's bad just different. More laid back, to each their own!

Lee, just to clarify, the camera angle through the objective is about 15 to 20 degrees off-axis. Since the SF's fov is 8 degrees, it corresponds to about two field widths. There is nothing exceptional or "crazy" about such an angle. It is well know that the closer a strong light source is to the optical axis, the more likely you are to encounter glare. This merely supports that, albeit with orange glare rather than the typical white.

PM

Optics designers keep telling me that binos are designed for viewing on axis and that viewing off axis can create all kinds of optical phenomena that aren't relevant to normal viewing.

Lee

I have replied in a PM.

Lee

PM

Optics designers keep telling me that binos are designed for viewing on axis and that viewing off axis can create all kinds of optical phenomena that aren't relevant to normal viewing.

Lee

I think birdwatchers are often in a hurry and "off axis" and that might be what Swaro has concentrated on. No tripods, no test charts. Just what works.

My 32mm SV leaves my 32mm FL far behind. I mean way behind.

I use what works. YMMV.

Mark

I think Lee has handled this situation with decorum and he has and likes the SF, but to me it seems that there are some with the SF in the wheelhouse who cannot or will not understand that the SF is not for everybody. Dennis also knows that the FLAT field on the SV is not for everybody.

Have a good weekend, I am getting sometime off to enjoy the views, and some photography.

Andy W.

I think Lee has handled this situation with decorum and he has and likes the SF, but to me it seems that there are some with the SF in the wheelhouse who cannot or will not understand that the SF is not for everybody. Dennis also knows that the FLAT field on the SV is not for everybody.

Have a good weekend, I am getting sometime off to enjoy the views, and some photography.

Andy W.

Thanks Andy. We are planning to go looking for Roesel's Bush Cricket this weekend, a species we haven't yet seen and it is now breeding not too far away.

Have a great weekend everybody!!

Lee

I got the replacement SF and it's perfect, I did note that the box had Zeiss Victory SF on the front that was not on the former box, interesting
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 76
I recently looked through the 8x42 SF and it was hands down the most comfortable view I ever had through a binocular.
I was looking for a new binocular after having used a 7x42 T*FL for the last 10 years. I went out to try a 8x42 HT after all the rave and could see just the slightest improvement compared to my trusty old 7x42: It was a bit closer, a tiny tiny bit sharper maybe (but most was due to the 8x compared to 7x) and the FOV didn't feel that much smaller. The 7x42 T*FL had a bit of a yellow hue when looking at a pure white object that the 8x42 HT didn't have.

But then I tried a 8x42 SF and the FOV was nothing short but amazing. Everything felt as wide as my 7x42 but closer. I thought I had a winner with the HT but am seriously considering the 8x42 SF as my next bin. The touted shifted in balance, because of more weight in the eyepiece, was just like everybody said: perfect.
Besides the fact that it's a bit big, the SF really feels like the better birder binocular.

Comparing to an 8.5 SV, I like the view in both but I am a sucker for fast, fluid, precise focusing bins and wide field of views that makes one get a bird in the bins quicker. Swarovski focusers often have backlash and even if not, they always feel a bit more grainy and slow in their focus. This in combination with a smaller FOV doesn't really help getting birds into view quickly.

[sidenote: Since I am a birder, I reckon a fast focus has resulted in many times the difference between seeing a fast moving bird and not seeing. I would dare to say I have seen 50-odd species more in my life due to the focus of my 7x42 T*FL (also combined with the great debt of field, of course)]

So the Swarovision remains a no-go... I must admit I like the ergonomics and the compactness of the 8x42 SLC a lot (and not to forget the view), and the focus is in a better position on that one compared to Swarovision.

But to stick with the SF: it strucks me that the (in my view) very very best birding binocular gets nothing but a topic that drifts off constantly and doesn't really show enough praise for a binocular I consider a better version of the Swarovision for birding. The only reservation I have to make is I didn't use it for longer than some minutes in a shop. So I hope to read a review any time soon Planetmaker so I have some more food for thought on whether to buy this one soon or not :)

Last edited:
Reviews are all well and good but you are going to have to take some risk and try the bin in the field for a few weeks - it really does take that long to conclude if they work in all situations and if they work ergonomically for you.

That said, I'm sure the SF is a fabulous bin and you would love it.

Reviews are all well and good but you are going to have to take some risk and try the bin in the field for a few weeks - it really does take that long to conclude if they work in all situations and if they work ergonomically for you.

That said, I'm sure the SF is a fabulous bin and you would love it.

James, you would really like the Victory SF. It is the best Zeiss binocular
that they have made in this size.

Just take mine and many others word for it. I am a Nikon and Swarovski fanboy, you know. ;)

Jerry

Last edited:
I'm guilty for not doing my review of the Victory SF |;|

One thing I notice that stands out is how it reminds me of using Photoshop smart sharpen tool.

Over every binos I've experienced the resolving power of the Victory SF is amazing

James, you would really like the Victory SF. It is the best Zeiss binocular
that they have made in this size.

Just take mine and many others word for it. I am a Nikon and Swarovski fanboy, you know. ;)

Jerry

I would, I really would - just missed snagging a gray version on an auction site for 1200 USD!

That said, I have compared them directly to my HT's and still think that [for what I want in an optic] the HT's work better for me - whiter whites, more neutral colours, more contrast.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back