• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gimbal or ball head (1 Viewer)

BackGardenMoths

Hi, I'm looking for advice on how best to support my canon 7d and 100-400 mm lens on the tripod. I can't decide whether I should go for a gimbal or ball head design. Any advice on which and whether there are specific makes to go for would be great...

Thanks

Simon

Simon,
I've been digiscoping now for 7 yrs, granted with a P&S and recently bought a gimbal from Jobu designs. Can't say enough good things about the gimbal and wonder why I didn't go with the gimbal earlier. I've never used a ball but in principle the gimbal sure seems to make sense. Jobu people are great to work with. Just called them up and main man answered my questions and told me what I needed.

Simon, for one of the big white there is no doubting that a Gimbal is a must - not so sure with the comparatively lightweight 100-400 though. Mind you if you do go for a ball-head make sure it is a good one as some of the cheaper ball heads will not lock sufficiently for the weight of your lens. When I had the 400/5.6 I used a Jobu Jr Gimbal (in sidekick configuration) and found it superb. With some of the more popular Gimbals for big lenses you will find that your 100-400 is not heavy enough to get the best out of it - the Jobu Jr is made for lenses exactly like yours.

The 100-400 + camera is quite light enough to hand hold and with the IS turned on is usually enough for poor light, I got good results down to 1/125th sec and passable at 1/80th. I had this lens for 5 1/2 years and never even considered using a tripod/head except for landscape work.
P.S. at the shorter end this is a good landscape lens lens in my opinion.

Simon, for one of the big white there is no doubting that a Gimbal is a must - not so sure with the comparatively lightweight 100-400 though. Mind you if you do go for a ball-head make sure it is a good one as some of the cheaper ball heads will not lock sufficiently for the weight of your lens. When I had the 400/5.6 I used a Jobu Jr Gimbal (in sidekick configuration) and found it superb. With some of the more popular Gimbals for big lenses you will find that your 100-400 is not heavy enough to get the best out of it - the Jobu Jr is made for lenses exactly like yours.

I'm with Roy on this one, Jobu heads are, in my opinion, excellent and make use simple.

Another, cheaper, alternative is one of the Indian gimbals from fleabay.

I have tried a ball head as well and could not get on with it, of course others may have other opinions. There is another thread going on another gimbal design I see which looks both reasonably priced and effective..

Phil

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back