• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ghana Ashanti lead birding trip 18th February to 6th March (1 Viewer)

4th March Day 15 Atewa Ridge

An early start from theHotel had myself and James back at the Atewa Farm scrub by a little after 6am. However, we were not looking at the farm scrub but were instead taking the small track to the right of the path up to the ridge; a three mile climb. Western Nicators were conspicuous due to their Nightingale like song. A Kemp’s Longbill showed at very close range as it failed to hide properly in a thick vine tangle. Some of the usual suspects were seen as we trekked upwards; Red-bellied Paradise Flycatcher, Green Squirrel (several now seen, usually elusive), Slender-billed Greenbul, Tambourine Dove, a noisy group of Maxwell’s Black Weavers atop a few dead branches above us, a silhouetted Black Bee-eater that took five minutes to check as we had to move down slope to view it properly, two Lemon-bellied Crombec inspecting the vines for insects above us, Red-crested Malimbe and Velvet-mantled Drongo. We then left the secondary forest and entered the primary forest.
Almost immediately we saw Shining Drongo such was the pronounced demarcation between the two sets of habitat. One of several of today’s Yellowbill was seen here. A Black-capped Apalis was new for me and I watched it feed directly above us as it showed off its distinctive black breast band. A feeding flock was moving through to our right so we walked ten metres into the forest to better view it. We had great views of Black-capped Illadopsis, Honeyguide Greenbul, Red-tailed Bristlebill, Blue-billed Malimbe, White-crested Hornbill, Yellow-bearded Greenbul, Pale-breasted Illadopsis, Finch’s Flycatcher Thrush, Icterine Greenbul, Yellow-spotted Barbet, Red-bellied Paradise Flycatcher and best of all, a Green-tailed Bristlebill that spotted us and flew within a few metres to inspect us.
We headed up and reached a section where it plateaued slightly and their were many bare trees. James stated that this was the best place to see Blue-moustached Bee-eater and sure enough he spied a bird just a few metres away at eye level. An incredible looking bird with it’s electric blue plumage in the sunshine and it’s scarlet red throat. We saw two more a little further up. The more open habitat allowed us to view several more species feeding including three Little-grey Flyacatchers, two Bioko Batis and an African Paradise Flycatcher.
We carried on upwards and saw several Tit-hylia, Yellow-billed Turaco, Long-tailed Hawk (often missed on other trips), Fraser’s Sunbird, Anssorge’s Greenbul, Fire-bellied Woodpecker, a winter male Pied Flycatcher, two male Red-chested Cuckoo, Finch’s Flycatcher Thrush, Naked-faced Barbet and our third of the trip, incredibly, Yellow-footed Honeyguide.
We could hear thunder in the distance and after having seen the damage caused by last night’s storm, we decided to hot foot it down to the car where Jojo was waiting for us. It also might not have been has hot as yesterday, but it was still very hot and bird activity had all but stopped.
On the way back to the hotel, James and Jojo checked out a farm track that lead to some remnant forest and made a phone call to one of the other Ashanti guides. This was another spot for seeing Fraser’s Eagle Owl and a plan was hatched for later.
I went online and downloaded our boarding passes for the next day.
We left the hotel at 5pm and we viewed the Straw-coloured Bats as they left their roosting trees with many forming a swarm before they departed. We then proceeded to the farm track and once parked up, we walked twenty metres across some scrub until we could view some of the large bare trees on the edge of the wood. James played the call. After a short while, I noted a dark shape fly low passed us. James decided to quickly relocate to a tree with many low bare branches by the track and he played the call again. A large broad-winged dark shape almost immediately flew low above our heads and landed in the tree. Torches on. What a bird! I gave James a hug as this was a bird I had really wanted to see.

5th March Day 16 nr Atewa

Another productive area of farm scrub although more of the birdy habitat has been turned over to agriculture so the Marsh Tsagras are no longer present.
Several species were feeding by the track as we left the car including a few Red-headed Quelea, Magpie Mannikin, Red-bellied Paradise Flycatcher, Red-faced Cisticola, a couple of close, perched Rufous-chested Swallow, two Superb Sunbirds, at least three pairs of Blue-headed Coucal, Black-throated Weavers, Vieillot’s Black Weavers and many Barn Swallow. Out in the marshy scrub, there was a juvenile Black Coucal perched up; a usually elusive and difficult bird to see. Closer to us was a Compact Weaver which had a Hawfinch kind of structure about it.
After failing to get onto an African Crake in flight, we walked into a Cocoa plantation and picked up a few more Northern/Savannah type species; Red-shouldered Cuckooshrike and Cardinal Woodpecker. A Green Mamba was seen at close range as it hunted in a Cocoa tree.
Other birds seen included Olive Sunbird, Simple Bulbul/Leaflove, African Thrush, Senegal Coucal, Copper Sunbird, Red-cheeked Waxbill, several Melodious Warbler, Wood Warblers and Collared Sunbirds. Hot again so we returned to the hotel to pack.
At 3pm we drove to the airport arriving two hours later. Once through baggage check and immigration, I paid $20 dollars to relocate to an air-conditioned lounge with wi-fi, leather chairs, beer and snacks. This was definitely the better way to wait the four hours until the flight! The flight left on time at 10pm and we arrived at Schiphol at 6am. KLM were excellent again and the staff were cheerful, friendly and professional and the food was as good as economy class food can be. No grumbles. After three more hours at Schiphol, we were boarded onto our Cityjet flight to London City Airport and I was home in Dartford by noon.

What's Violet-backed Swallow, I can find no reference to it?

This has long been a trip I've intended to do.

Hiya - White-throated Blue Swallow. Note the lower case v and b.

This was a fantastic trip and well worth starting preparations now for 2020 if you can. This will give you plenty of time to get an appropriate number of birders for the trip rather than my lastminute approach!

Ask for James. If they say no, then ask again until they say yes! ;)

As stated above, try to use the basic accommodation in Kakum and Bobiri rather than staying outside the parks. Ashanti should be able to book this for you. It's cheap, adequate and very convenient. But also ask for one or two nights air conditioned accommodation during the trip so that you can recover! If you don't need comfort, make that clear and the costs should reduce.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hiya - White-throated Blue Swallow. Note the lower case v and b.

Andy.

Sorry, I was confused, on 22nd Feb you wrote 'Twenty Violet Backed Swallows flew passed' (sic).

Does sound amazing but I'd want to negotiate independently if possible and cut out the middle man e.g Ashanti and deal directly with a guide if possible.

Much cheaper doing it this way wherever possible and we mostly self drive and pick up guides locally. A great part of the cost on fully guided trips is the cost of food and accommodation for the driver and guide.

Andy

Last edited:
Sorry, I was confused, on 22nd Feb you wrote 'Twenty Violet Backed Swallows flew passed' (sic).

Does sound amazing but I'd want to negotiate independently if possible and cut out the middle man e.g Ashanti and deal directly with a guide if possible.

Much cheaper doing it this way wherever possible and we mostly self drive and pick up guides locally. A great part of the cost on fully guided trips is the cost of food and accommodation for the driver and guide.

Andy

Oh Yeah! Starling. :t:

Never thought too hard about West Africa before, but your excellent report has certainly raised my interest. Of especial interest is the range of amazing-looking bee-earers, the strange concept of melodious and Wood Warblers together with sunbirds, and those challenging birds of the forest floor.

Many thanks
Mike

Andy
We used Robert Ntakor and he is now guiding tours independently (previously working for Ashanti). I believe some of his brothers also work for him / assist / guide tours for his company. I think Ashanti is still very good value (I believe it was James Ntakor we met in the field, and he seemed as good a guide as anyone, but surpassing Robert's skills would be very hard for any guide, anywhere on the planet.
For money and Ghana is one of those destinations where a guide + driver is not a very big cost compared to other countries, especially if you are with a group of 4-6.
Our report is on cloud birders, this is the direct link: http://users.ugent.be/~hmatheve/hm/GHANA16.html

We used Robert Ntakor and he is now guiding tours independently (previously working for Ashanti). I believe some of his brothers also work for him / assist / guide tours for his company. I think Ashanti is still very good value (I believe it was James Ntakor we met in the field, and he seemed as good a guide as anyone, but surpassing Robert's skills would be very hard for any guide, anywhere on the planet.
For money and Ghana is one of those destinations where a guide + driver is not a very big cost compared to other countries, especially if you are with a group of 4-6.
Our report is on cloud birders, this is the direct link: http://users.ugent.be/~hmatheve/hm/GHANA16.html

Yes, there's a bit of a story there. ��

I think you've nailed. The standard of guiding in Ghana is very high and the Nkator brothers are excellent. Ashanti also work with the local community at the Picathartes site.

Yup, a tailor made budget tour of 4-6 should be ideal in my opinion.

Last edited:
Excellent report, thanks for writing it up! I've just returned from my own trip to Ghana, so it's been fun to read about your experiences at some of the same sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back