• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco (1 Viewer)

cbutler

Anyone interested in a trip to Morocco next year for
Small Buttonquail, African Marsh Owl, Double-spurred Francolin, Atlas Flycatcher, Dupont's Lark, Levaillant's Green Woodpecker, Black crowned Tchagra, Seebohm's Wheatear, Little Swift, Calandra Lark, Red-knobbed Coot, Marbled Duck, Greater Flamingos, Thekla Lark, Red rumped Wheatear, Black Wheatear, Desert Wheatear, Lesser Kestrel, Black-Bellied Sandgrouse, Moussier's Redstart, Spectacled Warbler, Black-shouldered Kite, ...etc!

It is with Gayuin Birding.

If anyone is interested let me know please

Anyone interested in a trip to Morocco next year for
Small Buttonquail, African Marsh Owl, Double-spurred Francolin, Atlas Flycatcher, Dupont's Lark, Levaillant's Green Woodpecker, Black crowned Tchagra, Seebohm's Wheatear, Little Swift, Calandra Lark, Red-knobbed Coot, Marbled Duck, Greater Flamingos, Thekla Lark, Red rumped Wheatear, Black Wheatear, Desert Wheatear, Lesser Kestrel, Black-Bellied Sandgrouse, Moussier's Redstart, Spectacled Warbler, Black-shouldered Kite, ...etc!

It is with Gayuin Birding.

If anyone is interested let me know please
I have sent a message

Funny you search companions and cannot even publicly share travel dates...
I'll answer for you: end of april, beginning of may (otherwise you can't get the flycatcher). Going later would reduce chances of Good bird activity especially in the desert and anti atlas.

I have had some requests for additional information. Here is a link to the Website http://gayuin.com/Tour.6.html
the dates are shown here, also the more the cheaper it will be.
The face book page gives plenty of info.

Can't believe that a modern tour operator, uses 'snake charmers' (day 7) to evoke the character and atmosphere of a place, enough to turn me right off a company like this.

Can't believe that a modern tour operator, uses 'snake charmers' (day 7) to evoke the character and atmosphere of a place, enough to turn me right off a company like this.

They don't initiate this they just take you to the square in Marakesh where it just happens. There is also an old storyteller sitting in the square with a Barbary Falcon. It is just how it is and they are just showing what happens in Morocco.
Worst things happen in Europe and the Middle East with bird slaughter there. Are you turned off all the tour operators that take birders there?

They don't initiate this they just take you to the square in Marakesh where it just happens. There is also an old storyteller sitting in the square with a Barbary Falcon. It is just how it is and they are just showing what happens in Morocco.
Worst things happen in Europe and the Middle East with bird slaughter there. Are you turned off all the tour operators that take birders there?

Most enlightened tour operators, certainly won't make it a highlight and certainly won't make it a must see, how about going off to see all the trapped songbirds in China or Malta, after all 'they're just showing you what happens', nonsense argument to justify your point.

In answer to your last sentence, I have never seen anything like it mentioned as a highlight by any other tour operator so it's moot, may as well go and find some dancing bears.

Last edited:
What experience has the guide with finding the buttonquail? I asked him about it for this year and he went very quiet.

Steve

What experience has the guide with finding the buttonquail? I asked him about it for this year and he went very quiet.

Steve
I have seen pictures on their face book page of the bird.

They seem to know the site where it is seen and with a bird like this it is hit and miss. They only bird Morocco so hopefully they have as much chance as anyone else. When I asked about the Francolin they were upfront and said that they were very difficult, so like everything else you have to take their word and look at comments from customers.
I seem to remember seeing pictures on their face book page which is why I looked further into going with them. Cant say anything more.
As has proved the case in this thread you make a comment which is taken completely out of context, so I will say no more.

Most enlightened tour operators, certainly won't make it a highlight and certainly won't make it a must see, how about going off to see all the trapped songbirds in China or Malta, after all 'they're just showing you what happens', nonsense argument to justify your point.

In answer to your last sentence, I have never seen anything like it mentioned as a highlight by any other tour operator so it's moot, may as well go and find some dancing bears.

they do not use the term "evoke the character and atmosphere of a place" and they do not use the snake charmer a "must see"

they also mention water sellers is this to "evoke the character and atmosphere of the place"

I think that your comments are ott especially comparing it to China or Malta and bird slaughter in the Middle east.

They make it clear the trip is optional and explains what you may see, if you disagree then do not go, the same way I will not go to Cyprus and Malta or even a zoo.
The exact terms that they use is "Free evening to visit the old quarter of Marrakech and the impressive Jema-el-fna square which is an unbelievable experience for any visitor - snake charmers, water sellers and spice stalls plus the charm of bargaining in the Souk (OPTIONAL)."
Which I cannot see bears any resemblance to your interpretation

I have seen pictures on their face book page of the bird.

They seem to know the site where it is seen and with a bird like this it is hit and miss. They only bird Morocco so hopefully they have as much chance as anyone else. When I asked about the Francolin they were upfront and said that they were very difficult, so like everything else you have to take their word and look at comments from customers.
I seem to remember seeing pictures on their face book page which is why I looked further into going with them. Cant say anything more.
As has proved the case in this thread you make a comment which is taken completely out of context, so I will say no more.

Double-spurred?

Common but b£$%^&RDS to see, same with the Tchagra or at least it was when we did it, Thekla can be tough too.

The iconic Moroccan bird is also missing from the itinerary, Northern Bald Ibis?

I'd hope that they'd take you up to Oukameiden above Marrakesh, amazing place, Crimson-winged Finch is very easy along with Alpine Chough and Horned Lark.

Last edited:
Double-spurred?

Common but b£$%^&RDS to see, same with the Tchagra or at least it was when we did it, Thekla can be tough too.

The iconic Moroccan bird is also missing from the itinerary, Northern Bald Ibis?

they run other trips for that, it is all about logistics and distances to travel.

they run other trips for that, it is all about logistics and distances to travel.

To be frank, it's an easy trip to do independently if you're so inclined, GPS will make it much easier than when we did it, you'd do two weeks for less than what they charge for one and get the Ibis too.

The itinerary they show is pretty unambitious to be fair.

A circular route around the country from Cassablanca is pretty easy.

Did they not include Tristram's Warbler either?

To be honest Andy I have seen the Bald Ibis and Tristram's, Tchagra and Woodpecker etc on another trip.
The only birds I need are the Seebom's,Wheatear, Atlas Pied Fly, Francolin, Marsh Owl, Buttonquail and Red-rumped Wheatear. This is about the most new birds I can see anywhere in the WP without going to the Urals or Western Sahara so it is a trip well worth doing

I am also of an age that I am happy for others to lead, I have lead many trips for many years and now wish to chill and take my time and take photographs.

Although I try to increase my WP list I am happy to just enjoy my birding and see what I see and not get annoyed if I don't see everything.

Regards and good birding

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back