• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

raptor viewpoint - the East Europe homemade variant! (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Was reading an engaging thread by Vipers on a viewpoint in Yorkshire, so thought I'd add a few words on the little 'raptor viewpoint' I established on my land - essentially a landscaped earth mound resulting from earlier pool excation. I try to spend a hour or two up there each day, emptying out the contents of my thermos - not too difficult now the temps are soaring higher than the raptors! Within a few minutes atop my post, the 'bread and butter' is guaranteed - a butter with a very nice flavour mind you - Marsh Harriers drift across the meadow below and often quarter within 100 metres or so, over the adjacent forest Common Buzzards are guaranteed, as is a Lesser Spotted Eagle or two (sometimes they are sat in the fields too). For the rest, you need to start to your coffee - Black Kites, invariably wander in from a woodland to the west, sometimes circling right above my little raptor point. Needing an acute twist to the east, a pair of Honey Buzzards have appeared of late, thermalling in the glorious weather and even engaging in some late display. Today saw all above, but didn't have any coffee, so didn't stay up there long enough! Last week had a very nice pair of White-tailed Eagles too and other occasionals include Hobby and Montagu's Harrier, plus Sparrowhawk. Weeks after buying the land one year back, saw a Red-footed Falcon at the same spot, but hadn't excavated the pools, hence no mound, so can't add it to birds seen from the 'official raptor viewpoint'!!! Come the chiller months, Rough-legged Buzzards and Hen Harrier are possible too, but it'll be more than a coffee needed to be sitting atop that little mount as the icy blasts begin to hunt down the land! :)

PS Roller again today from the same spot

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back