Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

best wellies for birding?

Old Sunday 28th April 2019, 12:36   #1
Dr_ADH

best wellies for birding?

Might seem an odd question, But I've never owned wellies 'since I grew up', and I'm heading to Papua new Guinea and believe they are essential.
Are there such things as 'decent' wellies, and if so has anyone any recommendations? Ideally I don't want to have to wear thick wellie socks in that enviro if I can help it.
thanks very much
Adam
Old Sunday 28th April 2019, 12:42   #2
PYRTLE

There is some great waterproof footwear on the market but I would point out the weight of a decent pair will impinge on your luggage allowance. Have you thought about just purchasing a cheap pair when you're out there and perhaps leaving them behind of one of the locals?

If not possible, look at something like a Muckboot.https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...BAgLEBE&adurl=

Last edited by PYRTLE : Sunday 28th April 2019 at 12:45.
Old Sunday 28th April 2019, 17:57   #3
Mono
Hi!

There are lots of decent wellies. Have a look here
https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/collect...-leather-boots

I have some Chameau ones with vibram soles that are every bit as comfy as walking boots. But beware many posh wellies are designed for European winter use and are neoprene lined. They would be very sweaty in the tropics.
Old Monday 29th April 2019, 11:01   #4
kitefarrago

Travelling with wellington boots in your luggage does indeed take up significant space and weight. I think what the right choice for you is depends on a number of factors:

- How picky are you when it comes to the shoes you walk in?

- Are you likely to find a pair that will fit you wherever you're going? (And bear in mind that in parts of the world (South America, Asia) the idea of a `large size' may be quite different from what you're used to, and that also includes calf size.)

If you are not too fussy and your size requirements aren't unusual for wherever you're going you could go with the `buy local' option, and maybe just bring a set of insoles. (Certainly I find walking on a flat footbed painful.)
Prices are likely to be low in many parts of the world.

If you are more demanding, or if you're worried about size issues, then I would second the recommendations already given: Worry about getting too hot. A format such as Muckboots (which have a stellar reputation) might allow you to fold over the shaft of the boot when you're not going into deeper water, and that may well help with temperature regulation. I used a wellie following a similar concept in the Amazon and it was definitely more comfortable than other wellies I'd used in the past, in particular the `cheap local' option.

I would also recommend making sure you try out the boots while you're still home, and that you experiment with insoles.

Andrea
Old Monday 29th April 2019, 11:04   #5
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

You could try NEOS overshoes, which can work more-or-less as well as wellies and are more comfortable for walking in. They also pack down much smaller than wellies:
http://westonwindsport.co.uk/site/neos-overshoes/

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 30th April 2019, 23:50   #6
Dr_ADH

Hey
thanks everyone for your suggestions. Am definitely going to get some insoles, that's a great tip. Looks like the muckboot form is the way to go.
Has anyone had any experience with the jungle boot format, as am wondering if this might be a solution given the heat and humidity?
Thanks again
Adam
Old Wednesday 1st May 2019, 10:36   #7
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

We have to be careful as birders, with footwear. I go for boots that will help with long walks, but many are very inappropriate for birding. We are unique, in that we don't just go for long walks along the footpaths. We tend to wade through brambles and go off the track slightly (within reason obviously), nip through barbed wire fences, crawl around if taking photos, etc. All of which could destroy a very good pair of walking boots.

Similarly, I suspect a pair of wellies could be totally written off on a day on one of my local birding walks!

I had "gaiters", which were kevlar and pretty much converted walking boots into knee-high wellies, and protected them from all conditions, except water sadly.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: