Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Wednesday 27th November 2019, 19:32   #551
Outdoorlife602

thanks for the tips
Old Tuesday 24th December 2019, 20:33   #552
KevinWells

Lynx face book page advises that they are preparing an illustrated checklist and will provide further information early in 2020.
This is good news.
Old Wednesday 25th December 2019, 15:33   #553
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2020

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWells View Post
Lynx face book page advises that they are preparing an illustrated checklist and will provide further information early in 2020.
This is good news.
Could you post a link, please. I can't find the note.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st January 2020, 22:36   #554
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
Could you post a link, please. I can't find the note.
I finally found it myself, it's well hidden in a discussion on the occasion of the completion of the HMW series in late October 2019:

Elisa Badia Lynx We are currently working on the Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World. We’ll tell you more in early 2020! ��

That's in reply to the question: How about an Illustrated Checklist to the Mammals of the World like the one you did for the birds? And one only finds the statement after clicking to the "replies" button.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Wednesday 1st January 2020 at 22:42.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd January 2020, 22:17   #555
KevinWells

Hi Robert,
Sorry I have not replied earlier, I have been on holiday with my family over Christmas and New Year.
I am glad your found the link.
It sounds promising doesn't it.
I hope we don't have to wait too long for more information.
Cheers
Kevin
Old Saturday 4th January 2020, 11:31   #556
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWells View Post
Hi Robert,
Sorry I have not replied earlier, I have been on holiday with my family over Christmas and New Year.
I am glad you found the link.
It sounds promising doesn't it.
I hope we don't have to wait too long for more information.
Cheers
Kevin
At least, we now know the Checklist will come. So it's more of a question how long we'll have to wait for the book to become available.

PS: Hope you found a holiday area that is "fire safe". At the moment, from afar we feel that almost all of Australia is threatened. Terrible.
!

Old Wednesday 8th January 2020, 08:07   #557
T.O.

Let's hope that they start using the same taxonomic approach for all groups and only accept sensible splits (so not 11 species of Klipspringer without evidence), but I do not have high hopes...
Old Wednesday 8th January 2020, 09:26   #558
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
Let's hope that they start using the same taxonomic approach for all groups and only accept sensible splits (so not 11 species of Klipspringer without evidence), but I do not have high hopes...
What form would that 'evidence' have to take?

There is already a thread on bird vocalisations and discusses if a species can be defined on vocalisations alone - I do realise that Bovids don't sing but I think you get my meaning?
Old Wednesday 8th January 2020, 10:22   #559
T.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
What form would that 'evidence' have to take?

There is already a thread on bird vocalisations and discusses if a species can be defined on vocalisations alone - I do realise that Bovids don't sing but I think you get my meaning?

Preferably evidence comes from separate sources, mainly morphological and genetic, but vocalizations can also be important (especially in deer). Most of the bovid splits in HMW are only supported by flimsy morphological evidence based on very low sample sizes.

In the klipspringer case, there might be 2 or more species but that does not come from the research of G&G, but based on a msc thesis which did some genetic work.

See a summary here:
https://www.zoochat.com/community/th...3#post-1074793

You can find the research by G&G here by googling ungulate taxonomy pdf and click the first link, if you do not own the book...
Old Wednesday 8th January 2020, 11:13   #560
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O. View Post

You can find the research by G&G here by googling ungulate taxonomy pdf and click the first link, if you do not own the book...

.......................really

I just checked out the link and it's quite demoralisng to realise that what was set to be the seminal work for years to come (HMW), is wrong on distributions. I've heard it said about other species too, I think one of them was Bushbucks?

It's quite a damning piece in relation to the taxonomic work carried out in this instance, if the same is true across the entire publication, many splits, including birds by association, will not stand scrutiny.

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 8th January 2020 at 11:23.
Old Wednesday 8th January 2020, 11:59   #561
jurek

Thee is an online evaluation of recent splits of ungulates. It is interesting to see, how flimsy evidence was used to propose some bovid splits.

https://www.zoochat.com/community/th...of-g-g.467230/

Interestingly, too, for many ungulates, which are commonly hunted, illustrated in many wildlife books etc., there are surprisingly few specimens in museums available, and no or little genetic research done.
Old Tuesday 28th January 2020, 23:33   #562
KevinWells

The Lynx website is now advertising 3 Illustrated Checklists of the mammals of South Asia China and the Southern Cone of South America.
The first is due mid February.
They appear in the "Our Collections" area of the website.
It would seem that there may not be one volume for all mammals, but only for individual areas.

Last edited by KevinWells : Tuesday 28th January 2020 at 23:43. Reason: correction
Old Wednesday 29th January 2020, 10:55   #563
Murray Lord

Thanks Kevin. Looks interesting. Not sure why they are called an illustrated checklist and not a field guide (there are sample pages for the Southern Cone one only).

Lynx seem to be following their strange habit of often choosing areas well covered by existing publications.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2020, 11:08   #564
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Lord View Post
Thanks Kevin. Looks interesting. Not sure why they are called an illustrated checklist and not a field guide (there are sample pages for the Southern Cone one only).

Lynx seem to be following their strange habit of often choosing areas well covered by existing publications.
I would imagine that the text is very limited and the price would indicate an insubstantial work?

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 29th January 2020 at 11:13.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2020, 11:19   #565
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Lord View Post

China already has a decent guide, South America is very lacking.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2020, 13:36   #566
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
China already has a decent guide, South America is very lacking.
Would be nice if the books were closer to a convenient field guide format than the regional bird guides. Actually, the Southern Cone also already has a book, but that goes more towards a handbook format. https://www.amazon.com/Mammals-Neotr.../dp/0226706826
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Wednesday 29th January 2020 at 13:40.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: