Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Quickest armchair tick?

Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 01:58   #1
John Cantelo

Quickest armchair tick?

I saw my first Cape York race of Graceful Honeyeater this Monday but on Wednesday came the news that the IOC had decided to promote it to full species rank calling it Cryptic Honeyeater. Certainly my fastest "armchair tick" but has anyone done still better?

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 09:52   #2
James Lowther

Hi John,
assuming you've seen both types then you still get a quick armchair tick (and i certainly can't beat it for speed!)

however i think the new "Cryptic" honeyeater doesn't occur in Cape York, rather it is the taxon found further south round Cairns. The Cape York birds remain as Graceful HE.

cheers,
James

p.s. the IOC announcement was apparently made on Tuesday, so even faster!
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 10:44   #3
John Cantelo

No, it's Cryptic Honeyeater that's found here on Cape York or at least that's what two very authoritative sources both tell me.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 11:20   #4
James Lowther

Hi John,
that's not what the checklists (or the reference supporting the split) say. Gracilis in Cape York, imitatrix further south...?

see e.g.
https://www.worldbirdnames.org/bow/honeyeaters/
http://datazone.birdlife.org/species...lotis-gracilis
http://datazone.birdlife.org/species...otis-imitatrix
http://www.birdlife.org.au/afo/index...icle/view/2132

cheers,
James
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 04:21   #5
John Cantelo

Apologies, you're right. I was having a senior moment and had misremembered/misunderstood what I'd been told.

Old Friday 10th January 2020, 09:56   #6
James Lowther

hope you got the armchair tick anyway!
James
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 14:33   #7
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Apologies, you're right. I was having a senior moment and had misremembered/misunderstood what I'd been told.
If it's any consolation, John, BirdLife call it Imitatress Honeyeater; Merriam-Webster define 'imitatress' as 'a female imitator', which could go down pretty badly with about half the human population...!

Probably amongst many others, I suggested the name 'Cryptic' to World Bird Names because in my case I couldn't distinguish those I saw around Cairns from those I saw on Cape York at Lotus Bird lodge and Iron Range, even when the birds were being most cooperative.

Anyway, in response to your original question, it turned out well after the event that I had seen Nullarbor Quail-thrush near Cocklebiddy on or very near the day that it had been declared a species!
MJB
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 16:06   #8
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Are we sure about the ranges here? As I understood it when I read about the split a while ago, Graceful (now) has a disjunct range, and occurs in the wet forests in the southern part of its range (including round Cairns), and also in wet forests in Cape York (eg Iron Range), whereas Cryptic Honeyeater occurs in dry the forest in Cape York (I assumed further north than Cairns, but happy to be corrected).

I'd certainly really like to see some detailed range maps, or description of ranges of the two!
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 16:29   #9
James Lowther

this is fairly mysterious....

Abstract of the Nielsen paper seems pretty unambiguous

"Two subspecies of Graceful Honeyeater Meliphaga (Microptilotis) gracilis are recognised in north-eastern Queensland: imitatrix inhabiting the Wet Tropics and gracilis inhabiting northern Cape York Peninsula. .....The ranges of these taxa are separated by ~140 km in the vicinity of Cape Flattery–Princess Charlotte Bay on the eastern coast of Cape York Peninsula."

this is borne out by the range maps of the two species on the Birdlife International pages and the range descriptions on the IOC site.

can't find anything contradictory by googling.. but maybe there is something else I am missing?

James
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 19:25   #10
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Maybe I read it wrong before then James...
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 19:28   #11
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post

But just maybe you hold the record for fastest armchair tick to not an armchair tick after all?

Old Friday 10th January 2020, 20:00   #12
Paul Chapman

I seem to recall the Essex Steppe Grey Shrike was very late autumn and the split was published within weeks afterwards? But out with the Tippex now!

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 00:11   #13
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
If it's any consolation, John, BirdLife call it Imitatress Honeyeater; Merriam-Webster define 'imitatress' as 'a female imitator', which could go down pretty badly with about half the human population...!
If it's been split from Graceful Honeyeater, why not call it Disgraceful Honeyeater?

Old Sunday 12th January 2020, 10:22   #14
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
If it's been split from Graceful Honeyeater, why not call it Disgraceful Honeyeater?
I did mention that in my suggestion as a name unlikely to be accepted for some reason...!
MJB
Old Monday 13th January 2020, 13:36   #15
kb57

Getting back to the OP, not sure where this stands relative to Paul's Steppe Grey Shrike, but I saw my first Japanese white-eye in HK on 23rd Feb 2018, saw more in the Izu Is. on 5th March, and the paper splitting them was published on 23 July 2018 - 142 days. (https://link.springer.com/article/10...336-018-1583-7)

According to Scythebill, the HK birds would be Swinhoe's (Zosterops simplex) and the Izu birds Warbling (Z. japonicus).

I thought they looked really different at the time...
Old Monday 13th January 2020, 17:12   #16
Tristan ap Rheinallt

According to the latest Birdlife Australia checklist (V3), Graceful Honeyeater has two races:
Wet Tropics Graceful Honeyeater, Microptilotis gracilis gracilis
Cape York Graceful Honeyeater, Microptilotis gracilis imitatrix

There seems to be real confusion here, even among authoritative sources
Old Monday 13th January 2020, 17:33   #17
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

Welcome to BirdForum Tristan .

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th January 2020, 21:21   #18
Tristan ap Rheinallt

Thanks, Andrew. I think I might have been here many moons ago but with a different user name and email address.
Old Tuesday 14th January 2020, 10:15   #19
James Lowther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan ap Rheinallt View Post
According to the latest Birdlife Australia checklist (V3), Graceful Honeyeater has two races:
Wet Tropics Graceful Honeyeater, Microptilotis gracilis gracilis
Cape York Graceful Honeyeater, Microptilotis gracilis imitatrix

There seems to be real confusion here, even among authoritative sources
how strange...

James
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: