• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mist net poles (1 Viewer)

Neil Hagley

I've been doing some 'gardening' at my sewerage works scrub site and find a number of my time served 12 ft bamboo poles have had it. What are folks using for full sized poles these days? Any suggested sources? thanks Neil

I've had one private reply, for which I'm grateful and gives me encouragement to persevere with bamboo (gloss painted black every few years).

At one of our 'group' sites we actually use 3.6m x 20mm corrugated aluminium poles given to us years ago, they are superb and of course durable.

Hi,

We moved back to bamboo from aluminium some winters ago as the latter were freezing to our skin (difficult to work nets with gloves on).

We paint our poles with camo paint from Patrolbase, spattered colours !

Mike.

We still use the aluminum poles out here at barr lake and Hatfield. I like the idea of bamboo though. I haven't seen that used before! I'm sure it wouldn't get too cold in late fall and would be relatively easy to point into the ground? What about splitting from dry weather or dramatic temperature change?

We still use the aluminum poles out here at barr lake and Hatfield. I like the idea of bamboo though. I haven't seen that used before! I'm sure it wouldn't get too cold in late fall and would be relatively easy to point into the ground? What about splitting from dry weather or dramatic temperature change?
We haven't noticed these problems particularly - but maybe our climate is not as extreme as yours ! They do age and eventually need to be replaced but as many of our poles are 20+ years old, not too much of an issue. We do store inside. I know of sites where they are left out the whole season and the poles look as if they age much faster - but they're not painted either.

In my last post I referenced Patrolbase as a UK supplier of camo paint. That seems to be out of date, but there are plenty other suppliers on-line.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back