• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Still at breakfast, the male Red-winged Parrot joined a Spotted Dove and a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets at their seed feast.

Before leaving that lovely setting, I just had to take a picture of a rosella in a Jacaranda tree - it just was so pretty.

Outside in the car park were a couple of Maned Ducks.

Maidenwell had worked hard to make the area look attractive so I've shown you a couple of pictures, the first the toilet block and a bit of the garden beside the car park, both with Aboriginal paintings; there was more, but thought I'd restrict it to these two images.

Also seen / heard in the village, were King Parrot, Pied Currawong, Double-barred Finch, a Butcherbird, Channel-billed Cuckoo and Australasian Koel.

Attachments

• BF Spotted Dove, Rainbow Lorikeet, Red-winged Parrot thread.jpg
    BF Spotted Dove, Rainbow Lorikeet, Red-winged Parrot thread.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 22
  • BF Pale-headed Rosella, Jacaranda thread.jpg
    BF Pale-headed Rosella, Jacaranda thread.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 22
  • BF Aboriginal art thread.jpg
    BF Aboriginal art thread.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 42
  • BF Aboriginal art 1 thread.jpg
    BF Aboriginal art 1 thread.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 41
From Maidenwell we then headed further into the park and on the approach to the Russell Park Picnic area we pulled up short for movement was seen in the tree tops.

Found the culprit eventually.... a rather beautiful White-headed Pigeon!

There were lovely views up there too, along with some lovely Bunya Pine trees of course.

Wandering round the picnic area there we also found a Satin Bowerbird and some Kangaroos (or are they Wallabies?) - mostly keeping in the shade. Got a picture of one with a joey in the pouch.... think everyone wants that view don't they?

Attachments

• BF White-headed Pigeon thread.jpg
    BF White-headed Pigeon thread.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 33
  • BF View from Bunya Mountains thread.jpg
    BF View from Bunya Mountains thread.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Bunya Pines thread.jpg
    BF Bunya Pines thread.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Satin Bowerbird male thread.jpg
    BF Satin Bowerbird male thread.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Wallaby thread.jpg
    BF Wallaby thread.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 35
Delia,
I joined this forum awhile ago, but I am finally reading posts today. I have loved meeting all of the birds that you have seen through your photographs. Thank you!

Best,
Kim

Thank you so much Kim!

I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying your time with us.

Love the avatar Delia.......love these photos especially the Kangaroo and her Joey, I wait for ages at the kitchen window for this but yours is brilliant! thanks for sharing! Great to see the Rainbows sharing the feeder too :)

Dandabah Campground

We moved on to Dandabah Campground then, which was very attractively laid out with this pole statue as a centre piece (you can possibly see where part of the inspiration for it came from in the next picture - a tree with a vine growing on it). I may show you some more from there in the next post or two... see how it works out.

Hans had a plan and took a moment or two to work out where we needed to go, then off we set into the forest. I'm still fascinated by the shapes and vines to be seen... we get nothing like it in the UK.

Again... I woefully failed to get a picture of a Grey Shrikethrush here!

After a few minutes walk we arrived at a huge tree, with steps up leading inside.... quite dark in there so you need a minute to adjust your eyes.

I could see it and see it clearly with my bins.... .... but couldn't find it in the viewfinder. Clicked hopefully LOL. Then Hans took pity on me and took a couple of shots with my camera. Different height, different position I thought.. it wasn't till later I realised I had got the subject, if only I'd zoomed in on it LOL.

There in his regular roost tree was a Sooty Owl. WOW!! So the fourth picture is the one I took (uncropped; can you see it?) The last the one Hans took (thanks lad).

Attachments

• BF Dandabah display centrepiece thread.jpg
    BF Dandabah display centrepiece thread.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 54
  • BF Vine growing on tree thread.jpg
    BF Vine growing on tree thread.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 26
  • BF Sooty Owl roost tree thread.jpg
    BF Sooty Owl roost tree thread.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 52
  • BF My Sooty Owl attempt thread.jpg
    BF My Sooty Owl attempt thread.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 73
  • BF Greater Sooty Owl (Hans) thread.jpg
    BF Greater Sooty Owl (Hans) thread.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 63
On our way back from seeing the owl, I was re-acquainted with a pretty Eastern Yellow Robin. How delightful they are.

Not like this Gympie-Gympie or Giant Stinging Tree!!! Apparently the worst plant ever for causing pain, maybe for months. https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2014/02/factsheet-gympie-gympie/

But then, nearby, there was what I thought was a rather pretty-looking tree with the white bark. Didn't manage to get a name for it yet.

Back in the open I caught this Australian Brushturkey - appears he's in full breeding dress now.

Attachments

• BF Eastern Yellow Robin thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Yellow Robin thread.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Giant Stinging Tree thread.jpg
    BF Giant Stinging Tree thread.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Pretty White Tree thread.jpg
    BF Pretty White Tree thread.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 48
  • BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 23
OK as promised, I'll show you some of the plaques that surrounded the statue. From memory I think there were 8, but here's 5.

If you're interested and want full size versions of any of these so you can read them (or the others that I have), just PM me your email add.

Attachments

• BF Plaque Giver of Life thread.jpg
    BF Plaque Giver of Life thread.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Plaque Where on earth would they go thread.jpg
    BF Plaque Where on earth would they go thread.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Plaque Something Special thread.jpg
    BF Plaque Something Special thread.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Plaque The Giants Fall thread.jpg
    BF Plaque The Giants Fall thread.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Plaque A Place to Protect thread.jpg
    BF Plaque A Place to Protect thread.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 10
Oooh! gripped by your Sooty Owl Delia, having dipped on the Atherton Tablelands back in July . . . and your Red-capped Plover for that matter too!

Cheers
Mike

We moved on then to the Paradise Parking Area .

Underneath a vehicle already there Was a White-browed Scrubwren. I was clicking for a bit, hoping for a better view, when another vehicle came in and parked right in front of me!!!

A wander down a track leading to the loos and I saw movement in a bush and followed it for a bit, trying to get a view. He sure was very active behind the leaves. When I met up with Hans shortly after, he said he'd seen/heard (can't remember which now) a Brown Gerygone (for those who don't know... it's pronounced Jerigonee (not Gerry gone!!!;)) and he confirmed that my poor pictures were this guy!!

Moving on we spotted another fine specimen of a Bunya Pine. Judy pointed out that it's very difficult to find a 'perfect' specimen as the trees nearly always have a branch missing to spoil the symmetry! Then we came to the JS Fisher's Lookout. A good spot that, with fine views and walks. Down below us in the brush was a Red-necked Wallaby (think I got that right anyway).

Attachments

• BF White-browed Scrubwren thread.jpg
    BF White-browed Scrubwren thread.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Brown Gerygone thread.jpg
    BF Brown Gerygone thread.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Bunya Pine thread.jpg
    BF Bunya Pine thread.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 18
  • BF JS Fisher's View thread.jpg
    BF JS Fisher's View thread.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 38
  • BF Red-necked Wallaby thread.jpg
    BF Red-necked Wallaby thread.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 27
Oh Mike... thanks so much for your kind comment.

I love those wee plovers - one of my favourite wader families.

Indeed KB.... bit of a shocker that, don't you think!!!

...just when I was thinking the Australian birdlife might overcome my worries about the other wildlife - it turns out you have to be wary of trees too! The article you linked to makes it sound a tad worse than a nettle sting!

Delia, is there a second bird in your shot? Looks awfully like the vent of something sticking out there?

Attachments

• attachmentNJ3Y8ZSV.jpg
    attachmentNJ3Y8ZSV.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 33
Delia, is there a second bird in your shot? Looks awfully like the vent of something sticking out there?

LOL James... think you've been caught out by a Stickbirdo:)

A close crop of that section of the picture attached.

Attachments

• BF Stickbird for James thread.jpg
    BF Stickbird for James thread.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back