Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Night Chirping

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 3rd August 2009, 05:28   #1
emc

Night Chirping

I was surprised to wake up in the middle of the night the other day and hear a bird chirping away. It was completely dark out, why would a bird chirp at night? I don't know what kind of bird it was, the melody sounded familiar, it could have been a robin or a cardinal, but I'm not sure, I keep getting them mixed up, they both sound so nice.
Old Monday 3rd August 2009, 19:54   #2
little liza

The only birds I ever hear at night in this area are mockingbirds (usually young males) and whipporwills. Can you describe the song?
Old Monday 3rd August 2009, 21:02   #3
emc

It was a cardinal, this is the sound I heard, it starts at about 23 seconds into the audio and ends at 27 seconds into the audio: http://www.learnbirdsongs.com/birdsong.php?id=3 You know what, as I'm playing this, suddenly a cardinal started chirping outside my window!
Old Monday 3rd August 2009, 21:49   #4
little liza

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc View Post
It was a cardinal, this is the sound I heard, it starts at about 23 seconds into the audio and ends at 27 seconds into the audio: http://www.learnbirdsongs.com/birdsong.php?id=3 You know what, as I'm playing this, suddenly a cardinal started chirping outside my window!

Ahh, a cardinal. We hve lots of them here, but I never hear them at night. That's probably because we also have a great horned owl living in our woods.

Regarding the cardinal chirping when he heard your linked recording, purple martin landlords use recordings to draw martins to their sites, and it often contributes to success.

Last edited by little liza : Monday 3rd August 2009 at 21:51.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: