• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laridae (1 Viewer)

'Lusitanius'

Anybody know any more on lusitanius or cantabrican Gull, exact range, differences, basis as a ssp, thanks
Malling Olsen & Larsson 2003: L. m. 'lusitanius' ('cantabricans') Birds from W Iberia (between Berlanga and Basque Country) differ slightly from michahellis. DNA sequences intermediate between michahellis and atlantis... While some are like michahellis, others resemble Herring Gull... [provides extensive detailed descriptions of each age...].

Richard

I must admit I was surprised that Short-billed Gull L. brachyrhynchus has been split from Mew Gull, but vetula is still kept in Kelp Gull and poiocephalus in Grey-headed. Surely they are far better candidates for elevation?

chris

How many people split the Mew Gull though? I am not aware of any major list (IOC, Clements, AOU, BOU) which does so?

I must admit I was surprised that Short-billed Gull L. brachyrhynchus has been split from Mew Gull, but vetula is still kept in Kelp Gull and poiocephalus in Grey-headed. Surely they are far better candidates for elevation? chris

Chris,
My mother warned me about people who began sentences with 'Surely...'!:-O
MJB

Sternkopf 2011

Sternkopf 2011. Molekulargenetische Untersuchung in der Gruppe der Möwen (Laridae) zur Erforschung der Verwandtschaftsbeziehungen und phylogeographischer Differenzierung – Molecular Analysis in sea gulls (Laridae) to reveal genetically relationship and phylogeographic differentiation. Dissertation. [abstract] [pdf] [Vogelwarte 49(3): 175-177.]

Suggests treatment of Larus [canus] brachyrhynchus as a distinct species.
[L brachyrhynchus 'Mew Gull' is recognised as a species by Malling Olsen & Larsson 2003/2004 (Gulls).]

Last edited:
Sternkopf 2011. Molekulargenetische Untersuchung in der Gruppe der Möwen (Laridae) zur Erforschung der Verwandtschaftsbeziehungen und phylogeographischer Differenzierung – Molecular Analysis in sea gulls (Laridae) to reveal genetically relationship and phylogeographic differentiation. Dissertation. [abstract] [pdf] [Vogelwarte 49(3): 175-177.]

Suggests treatment of Larus [canus] brachyrhynchus as a distinct species.
[L brachyrhynchus 'Mew Gull' is recognised as a species by Malling Olsen & Larsson 2003/2004 (Gulls).]

IIUC, the genus Larus is monophyletic by this dissertation. The results are somewhat different compared with Crochet & Desmarais 2000 (Mol. Biol. Evol. 17(12):1797–1806.), Crochet et al, 2000 (J. Evol. Biol. 13, 47-57) or Pons et al, 2005 (Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 37, 686–699).

Arctic Larus hybridisation

Sonsthagen, Chesser, Bell & Dove (in press). Hybridization among Arctic white-headed gulls (Larus spp.) obscures the genetic legacy of the Pleistocene. Ecol Evol. [pdf]

Kelp Gull

Jiguet, Capainolo & Tennyson 2012. Taxonomy of the Kelp Gull Larus dominicanus Lichtenstein revisited with sex-separated analyses of biometrics and wing tip patterns. Zool Stud 51(6): 881–892. [pdf]

van den Berg & Haas 2013. WP reports. Dutch Birding 35(2): 129–138.
In African Birdlife 1 (2): 10-11, 2013, the first genetic data on relationships within Kelp Gull L dominicanus sensu lato populations were reported; four out of 20 Cape Gulls L d vetula from Namibia, of which mitochondrial genes were sequenced by Viviane Sternkopf, grouped with South American samples from Argentina and Chile (rather than from samples from New Zealand, Kerguelen and Antarctica), suggesting that Cape Gull is still sufficiently linked to other Kelp Gull populations not to warrant recognition as a distinct species. It was also found that birds from New Zealand grouped with those from Antarctica and Kerguelen, so the recognition of six Kelp Gull subspecies has now been suggested (also melisandae from Madagascar, judithae from Indian Ocean, austrinus from Antarctica and antipodus from New Zealand) (Zoological Studies 51: 881-892, 2012).

Neotypification of Larus cachinnans Pallas, 1811 (Aves: Laridae)
JIŘÍ MLÍKOVSKÝ & VLADIMIR M. LOSKOT

In: Zootaxa 3637 (4): 478–483 (12 Apr. 2013)

[Abstract]

Mlíkovský & Loskot 2013

Neotypification of Larus cachinnans Pallas, 1811 (Aves: Laridae)
JIŘÍ MLÍKOVSKÝ & VLADIMIR M. LOSKOT
In: Zootaxa 3637 (4): 478–483 (12 Apr. 2013)
[Abstract]
Can someone with access please disclose the implications of Jiří Mlíkovský's latest assault on nomenclatural stability? ;)

PS. Copy of paper gratefully received. Apologies for my misguided remark: Mlíkovský & Loskot designate a specimen collected in 1894 from near the northern Caspian region as the neotype for Larus cachinnans, fixing the well-known name in the current sense. Type locality: Kazakhstan, Aktyubinskaya Oblast', about 16 km SE of the settlement of Rodniki, Lake Kara-kul'; 49° 04' N, 58° 33' E, 290 m a.s.l.

Last edited:
YANG Chao, WANG Qing-Xiong, HUANG Yuan & XIAO Hong, 2013. PHYLOGENETIC RELATIONSHIPS AMONG SOME GROUPS OF GULLS BASED ON COMPLETE SEQUENCES OF THE MITOCHONDRIAL CYTB GENE. Acta Zootaxonomica Sinica, 38(2): 225-238.
Abstract and PDF here

Yang et al 2013

YANG Chao, WANG Qing-Xiong, HUANG Yuan & XIAO Hong, 2013. PHYLOGENETIC RELATIONSHIPS AMONG SOME GROUPS OF GULLS BASED ON COMPLETE SEQUENCES OF THE MITOCHONDRIAL CYTB GENE. Acta Zootaxonomica Sinica, 38(2): 225-238.
Abstract and PDF here
Indicates that Grey-headed Gull Larus (Chroicocephalus) cirrocephalus should instead be assigned to Leucophaeus (contra AOU, IOC, Clements, DBA).

Indicates that Grey-headed Gull Larus (Chroicocephalus) cirrocephalus should instead be assigned to Leucophaeus (contra AOU, IOC, Clements, DBA).

That paper is fairly useless and redundant. Their goal is to place four species in the Larid/Sternid tree, but those four species (relictus, brunnicephalus, hirundo, and nilotica) were already sampled in previous phylogenies with more sequence data, nearly complete species sampling, and better methods in Pons et al. 2005 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1055790305001776) and Bridge et al. 2005 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1055790304003987). I wouldn't make any taxonomic changes based on Yang et al. 2013.

That paper is fairly useless and redundant. Their goal is to place four species in the Larid/Sternid tree, but those four species (relictus, brunnicephalus, hirundo, and nilotica) were already sampled in previous phylogenies with more sequence data, nearly complete species sampling, and better methods in Pons et al. 2005

Yeah I am noticing a lot of redundancy in recent bird phylogenetic studies out of China, where we just get duplicate studies with no really novel sampling or design in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back