Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Smaller birds in the garden

Old Wednesday 4th September 2013, 17:49   #1
cresser

Smaller birds in the garden

Hi all,
Several weeks ago now, to try and combat the swarms of Starlings invading and eating everything I put out, I stopped using Suet pellets in feeders, and switched to SunFlower hearts, only using suet on a table.
Wow! what a difference! we have very few Starlings now, but we get loads and loads of Sparrows - brilliant - also, we are getting regular visits from up to 12, Gold Finches all over the feeders. This is exactly what I put feed out to see, the smaller birds getting a look in, and when 6 or seven Sparrows take a dip in the water stand, its a pleasure to see them. Now they know where they are - relatively - safe, and there is a regular supply of food, we hope to be able see them, and help them out, over the winter time.
Old Wednesday 4th September 2013, 21:49   #2
stormy weather

but whos gunner help the poor starlings out iknow there crazy but i love em think they have got loads of character but i know ill be in the minority and youl be in the majority its always the same people like the pritty things in life my house sparrows hang about with them infact i have a gang of sparrows and two starlings that seem to think there sparrows when all starlings go they hang about wit spoggys its funny its my blackbirds that dont like the starlings or sparrows for that matter or song thrushes or for sure other blackbirdrs suppose all our gardens have diffrent politics.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: