Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Scythebill 14.7.1 German version feedback

Old Thursday 12th September 2019, 14:37   #1
Sangahyando

Scythebill 14.7.1 German version feedback

Hello,

Apologies for starting yet another thread on Scythebill, but I've recently tried out the new German language version. There's some interesting new features; I like the idea of the world map for example. This is not an in-depth review, but I wanted to point out some small issues I've noticed.

Status indicators (after a species name in the life list):

- "nicht hergestellt" ("not established") -> "nicht hergestellt" is a mistake, herstellen only means establish in a certain context, usually a connection of sorts (e.g. internet). I think "nicht etabliert" would probably be the best translation.
- "inland" -> not sure what that's supposed to refer to, it appears after the names of species that are most likely escapees from collections. I guess the correct translation would be Binnenland, but that's a noun. Escapee means Gefangenschaftsflüchtling, if that was what you were looking for.

Address:
in the "special reports" section, there is one line that use the second person singular "du" (the "big day, month, year, ..." header), which seems to be a mistake since the main menu makes correct use of the polite address ("Sie"). Maybe there's more, but that's the one instance I've noticed.
Generally speaking, I think you'd want to avoid the informal address "du", even though it's unfortunately become very common over the last few decades, thanks to tech companies, IKEA, people with a shaky grasp of grammar (including native speakers), and people who don't know English nearly as well as they think, producing bad translations (Sorry for ranting about this, but it's one of my pet peeves, kind of like the "they're/there/their" issue that you have in the English-speaking world).

That's all I've found so far though. Keep up the good work!

Regards,
A
Old Thursday 12th September 2019, 18:56   #2
awiner

Hey, thanks so much for the feedback! Applied all the notes.

"inland" is supposed to refer to "domestic" forms - like a domestic Peafowl or Graylag Goose. domestiziert seems better?

Thanks for catching "du" as well.

Feel free to email me directly ([email protected]) if you catch any other issues.
Old Sunday 15th September 2019, 12:38   #3
Maffong

Hey,
I recently offered Adam my help with the German translations, but unfortunately haven't gotten around to do so, firstly because I've got way less free-time than I'd like at the moment and secondly because it's surprisingly much that needs to be translated!
Now I appreciate even more what awiner is doing for all of us! I really hope I can send you those translations soon!

Kind regards
Maffong
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: