Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Star Test results

Old Saturday 30th December 2006, 23:09   #1
greg g

Star Test results

I used the adivice given on the forum and used the Star Test on a new scope. I hung a Christmas ornament 100' from the scope.(It was 100' because I set the scope up at 2nd base and hung the ornament up 10' beyond 3rd base). The ornament was set at scope height. I put the Swarovski ATS 80HD with the 20-60x eye piece at maximum power. Focused on the sun's reflection. After the scope was focused I turned inside-focus and the view results were one outer bright ring with 5 or 6 rings of equal light inside and they all appeared circular. After the scope refocused I turned to outside-focus and the view results were one outer bright ring with the interior rings blotchy and non-distinct. When the outside focus was turned more the circle of light just became a circular blur.
Did I perform the Star Test correctly?
Can this be corrected, and if so is there anything I can do?
Should I exchange this scope for another scope?
Should I keep this scope and have the scope corrected by the manufacturer?
Old Wednesday 3rd January 2007, 19:49   #2
stuart C smith
swansong

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg g
I used the adivice given on the forum and used the Star Test on a new scope. I hung a Christmas ornament 100' from the scope.(It was 100' because I set the scope up at 2nd base and hung the ornament up 10' beyond 3rd base). The ornament was set at scope height. I put the Swarovski ATS 80HD with the 20-60x eye piece at maximum power. Focused on the sun's reflection. After the scope was focused I turned inside-focus and the view results were one outer bright ring with 5 or 6 rings of equal light inside and they all appeared circular. After the scope refocused I turned to outside-focus and the view results were one outer bright ring with the interior rings blotchy and non-distinct. When the outside focus was turned more the circle of light just became a circular blur.
Did I perform the Star Test correctly?
Can this be corrected, and if so is there anything I can do?
Should I exchange this scope for another scope?
Should I keep this scope and have the scope corrected by the manufacturer?
if you surf the asto sites on the net [ ref star testing [refractor] scopes ] it will tell you what rings a refractor should show inside and outside of focus. from memory [ long while ago] sounds wrong.

Last edited by stuart C smith : Wednesday 3rd January 2007 at 19:53.
Old Wednesday 3rd January 2007, 23:17   #3
mooreorless

Hi Stuart,Greg also posted this under Swarovski spotters and there is a reply by Henry Link.In case you miss it.:-)
Regards,Steve
Old Wednesday 3rd January 2007, 23:49   #4
stuart C smith
swansong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreorless
Hi Stuart,Greg also posted this under Swarovski spotters and there is a reply by Henry Link.In case you miss it.:-)
Regards,Steve
thanks steve.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: