• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten (1 Viewer)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
Discussion thread for Loch Garten. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

A quick question really: Is there access to the Visitor centre and surrounding areas during Winter months. Hoping to make an impromptu drive there early this coming week hopefully to locate Crested Tits.
Regards
Dave

Last edited:
Was there last month. People were baiting the last bench on the left before the visitor centre with seeds etc. Coal Tits were coming readily to the hand and several people have since reported a cresty on the hand too. We had at least four cresties in the immediate area.

HTH

Gordon Hamlett - author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

Really pleased to see 2 Crested Tits at the feeder area on Monday, although we had to wait over 2 hours for the first appearance. They then gave stunning views all morning and into mid afternoon.

Really pleased I made the effort to go and see these wonderfully charming birds.

Attachments

• Crested-Tit2.jpg
    Crested-Tit2.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Crested-Tit.jpg
    Crested-Tit.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Was there last month. People were baiting the last bench on the left before the visitor centre with seeds etc. Coal Tits were coming readily to the hand and several people have since reported a cresty on the hand too. We had at least four cresties in the immediate area.

HTH

Gordon Hamlett - author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

I can certainly concur with this Gordon. The Coal Tits followed us up from the car park to the feeder area (almost checking out our pockets :-O) 100+ seemed to follow us. I went back to the car for some seed and the party started. Chris had 4 feeding from hand, then 3 perched ontop of his Camera Lens while dozens were happily to come and land inside the seed tub. An entertaining encounter. Two Red Squirrels showed well all morning around the feeder area, although two young lads came to video them and couldn't relocate them after waiting for an hour or more around lunch time.

Glad that we stayed with the Crested Tits for most of the day, it was nice to get to understand their habits.

I'm so glad you got there Dave... and what a great time you had with these charmers.

Bit white outside, isn't it!!

Super pictures you've got there too.

I can certainly concur with this Gordon. The Coal Tits followed us up from the car park to the feeder area (almost checking out our pockets :-O) 100+ seemed to follow us. I went back to the car for some seed and the party started. Chris had 4 feeding from hand, then 3 perched ontop of his Camera Lens while dozens were happily to come and land inside the seed tub. An entertaining encounter. Two Red Squirrels showed well all morning around the feeder area, although two young lads came to video them and couldn't relocate them after waiting for an hour or more around lunch time.

Glad that we stayed with the Crested Tits for most of the day, it was nice to get to understand their habits.

:t:

Attachments

• Red-Squirrel.jpg
    Red-Squirrel.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 220
I'm so glad you got there Dave... and what a great time you had with these charmers.

Bit white outside, isn't it!!

Super pictures you've got there too.

Cheers Delia. After weighing up the weather that was to occur last night we made the right decision to return home after seeing the Cresty. 730 miles and a new life bird :t:

Some may call it mad, but I am a very happy bunny this morning. Not exactly a twitch but one of the most enjoyable bird watching days I can remember.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back