Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Retro Style

Old Sunday 19th May 2013, 14:01   #1
jaymoynihan
Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher

Retro Style

For awhile now my standard carry, absent a deluge in the forecast, or during the depth of winter, is the 8x SE, and on occasion the 10x SE. Over that time have come to enjoy the "retro" look of them.
Any E,EII, SE folk out there feel the same?
"If there is a heaven, and i am allowed entrance, I will ask for no more than an endless living world to walk through and explore. I will carry with me an inexhaustible supply of notebooks from which i can send back reports to the more sedentary spirits." E.O. Wilson
Old Sunday 19th May 2013, 14:51   #2
ceasar

Yes. I have to reglue the leatherette covering once again on my 8 x 30 EII. Right now it is looking more antique than retro!

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 19th May 2013, 18:29   #3
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoynihan View Post
For awhile now my standard carry, absent a deluge in the forecast, or during the depth of winter, is the 8x SE, and on occasion the 10x SE. Over that time have come to enjoy the "retro" look of them.
Any E,EII, SE folk out there feel the same?
Jay

The SE and E11 series are great binoculars and I also like classic/retro look of a porro prism binocular. Even if one doesn't like the styling the performance/price ratio of these porros reminds me of the old adage "pretty is as pretty does" and using performance as the criteria all of these Nikon porros would have to be considered pretty.

I sometimes use one of my alpha roofs or my waterproof Habicht in inclement weather but I also use the SEs and E11s and don't have any problem. If raining I can carry the 8x versions in a Badlands Bino case to protect them until needed and when using them they're protected from the rain being under the brim of my Tilley hat.

I'm so "old school" in my tastes that I actually like the looks of IF porros and have and use several 7x50 and 10x50 IF porros. I chuckle to myself when forum members talk about brand X roof offering the best view available knowing they have never even looked through some of these fantastic porros. I like/have/use alpha roofs myself but when discussing the best views offered in a binocular you should be aware of and consider the likes of Prostars, PIFs, and the FMTR-SX series.

Since you are aware of how good the Nikon porros are I would suggest picking up a 7x35 9.3 Wide Field which can usually be found on ebay for a reasonable price. I have two of the 7x35 Wide Fields that I often use for birding and you would be hard pressed to find a modern binocular that offers that quality of view for the same amount of money. In the Binocular Bargains thread Frank has pointed out what a great value this particular model is and I couldn't agree more.

Steve
Old Sunday 19th May 2013, 21:15   #4
ceasar

The current Nikon 7 x 35 Aculon Porro also has a 9.3 FOV and costs about $80.00 new.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/N...A211-7x35.html

The 7 x 35 Action Extreme also has the same FOV and is waterproof. It costs about $145.00.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 19th May 2013 at 21:22.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: