Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Gull takes pet Chihuahua

Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 14:20   #1
andyadcock

Gull takes pet Chihuahua

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49070562
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 14:55   #2
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Sounds like a load of complete bullsh*t - no way a gull could carry off a 2 kg dog. The sort of ridiculous lies you'd expect from the Mail or the Express, not the BBC!
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 16:14   #3
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Shame that the Ornithologist from Bristol Uni and an RSPB spokesman both suggested it’s credible then. Could even a GBbG lift a 2kg load?
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 16:21   #4
DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Sounds like a load of complete bullsh*t - no way a gull could carry off a 2 kg dog. The sort of ridiculous lies you'd expect from the Mail or the Express, not the BBC!
It's exactly the sort of ridiculous lies I would expect from the BBC.

At least it's not an article about netball being the biggest sport in the world.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 18:45   #5
rollingthunder

The weight they give is for a Chiwawa ‘type’ - this would appear to be a ‘teacup’ Chiwawa which is much smaller and obviously a pup would only weigh half a pound at most - they are tiny and would easily be liftable. A neighbour has one and an adult would fit into a large mug.

Laurie
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 19:02   #6
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
It's exactly the sort of ridiculous lies I would expect from the BBC.

At least it's not an article about netball being the biggest sport in the world.
And now they preface every sport they report on by emphasising gender e.g the 'Mens' Cricket World Cup..........................

If I'm talking about a World Cup in any sport, unless I specify 'womens', it will be the mens sport I'm talking about as it will be with most people but there is no need to drill in to people that women play sport too.

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 22nd July 2019 at 19:04.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 19:13   #7
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
The weight they give is for a Chiwawa ‘type’ - this would appear to be a ‘teacup’ Chiwawa which is much smaller and obviously a pup would only weigh half a pound at most - they are tiny and would easily be liftable. A neighbour has one and an adult would fit into a large mug.

Laurie
Ah- in a Gull’s mug in fact
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 19:28   #8
PYRTLE

Horrible things. Many moons ago I had a boss whose cat caught, killed and ate his family's new pet puppy chihuahua. The cat was soon shown the door.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 19:52   #9
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

Quote:

Laurie
Not a "teacup" Chihuahua, and not a puppy. From the article, "Gizmo, four, was described as a small, brown dog, weighing 4.4lb (2kg)."

No way a gull, even Great Black Backed Gull, picked up that dog.

My guess is that the partner that was supposed to be watching the dog, wasn't watching, and the dog ran off, or was hit by a car. They saw a large gull flying around and concocted the cover story, not realizing how utterly preposterous it was.
Latest lifer: #375 Barrow's Goldeneye
Latest Pennsylvania lifer: #342 King Rail
Latest Lancaster County lifer: #302 Sabine's Gull
Use eBird to record your bird sightings.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 20:10   #10
Groovy Grackle

Wow! I hope it didn't happen!
I can understand if it's a good sized Eagle or Falcon. I've seen a video of a Falcon taking a good sized cat and the bird that the cat caught...the Falcon got double the meal!
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 20:15   #11
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Horrible things.
The proof that genetic engineering has made it possible to cross-breed a dog with a rat
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 20:18   #12
Sangahyando

Well theoretically it could be possible, if it happened on a clifftop walk and the gull "bore" the dog downwards over the cliff and onto the ground/water below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Grackle View Post
Wow! I hope it didn't happen!
I can understand if it's a good sized Eagle or Falcon. I've seen a video of a Falcon taking a good sized cat and the bird that the cat caught...the Falcon got double the meal!
I doubt that was a falcon, tbh. Even the largest falcon species aren't very well equipped to handle a cat-sized (let alone dog-sized) terrestrial predator.
Any raptor taking an adult cat would most likely be an eagle or owl of some description, or one of the largest hawk species.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 22:29   #13
Dave Ball

Come on, there’s an obvious answer.

It must have been the Giant Petrel
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 22:53   #14
PJSharp

Gulls can be woofless predators...
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 04:23   #15
rollingthunder

The interview with the female owner of the pup, whose husband was hanging out washing at the time, did not give those size details. She described it as a ‘miniature’ and a tiny puppy - unlike the 2 adult ‘normal’ ones they also have. Somewhere in-between i would think that the size and weight has been sexed up - the BBC interviewed an ‘urban Gull expert’, obviously somebody i have never heard of which makes me one too! and the conversation rapidly moved on to the possibility of carrying off tiny babies

In the World of MSM and the BBC bigger is always better.....

Laurie
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 06:36   #16
Britseye

Quote:
the BBC interviewed an ‘urban Gull expert’, obviously somebody i have never heard of which makes me one too!

Laurie
Ha ha
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 08:44   #17
rollingthunder

Tell Higgo that Laurie says hello from the grotty West Midlands
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 16:59   #18
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

If the urban gull expert was the person mentioned in another discussion of this event then yes, he certainly is an urban gull expert. But I am very surprised he would agree that this was possible - unless the dog in question was indeed a puppy.

Steve
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 18:46   #19
Britseye

Quote:
Tell Higgo that Laurie says hello from the grotty West Midlands
Yep.
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 21:03   #20
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Shame that the Ornithologist from Bristol Uni and an RSPB spokesman both suggested it’s credible then. Could even a GBbG lift a 2kg load?
The "ornithologist" from the University of Bristol is Peter Rock. He is from their department of aerospace engineering. I could find no mention of any ornithology related degrees.

He does seem to do a lot of research on urban gulls. The ultimate goal of this research seems to be reducing the population of urban gulls. What better to increase interest in (and funding for) your project than to whip the general public into a frenzy over a "gull attack". I found this article about him and his research (and more "vicious" attacks).

Looking at this chihuahua growth chart, it appears that a young puppy could be small enough for a gull to carry off.
Latest lifer: #375 Barrow's Goldeneye
Latest Pennsylvania lifer: #342 King Rail
Latest Lancaster County lifer: #302 Sabine's Gull
Use eBird to record your bird sightings.
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 21:10   #21
Gill Osborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmepler View Post
My guess is that the partner that was supposed to be watching the dog, wasn't watching, and the dog ran off, or was hit by a car. They saw a large gull flying around and concocted the cover story, not realizing how utterly preposterous it was.
OR somebody just leaned over the fence and nicked the dog!!! Dog theft - especially of the smaller breeds - is rife and they can quickly be 'offloaded', no questions asked, on gumtree/preloved/pets4homes etc.....there'll always be somebody who will buy a dog cheap and not be bothered about proper documentation Decent owners NEVER let their dogs out of their sight!

But comments like small breeds being nothing but rats is way out of line....it's the equivalent of saying all germans are nazis and all gay people are sick freaks....I've known a few in my life who've had sensible owners and they have been the loveliest dogs you could ever meet... not yappy or snappy or any of the other adjectives ignorant people use to describe them You'll usually find the ones who give the breed a bad name are ones owned by bimbos with fake nails, too much fake tan and carry them around in bags!

Last edited by Gill Osborne : Wednesday 24th July 2019 at 18:30.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 24th July 2019, 07:34   #22
Warixenjalka

This news came all the way to finish papers too.

IMHO is that if we pretend this is true, I wouldn't blame the Gull - I blame peoples: At first, those who let the dog out without supervision, and second, those who made this rat size "dog"-breed. I think such breeding is just animal cruelty.

PS. I like dogs. I've lived with a dog (or two) almost all of my life.
Last lifer: Kingfisher #430, WP ticks: 321, Finnish ticks: 260 (Kingfisher), Eco ticks: 196 (Barred Warbler) , Yard tics (alltime): 107 (Rough-legged Buzzard), Photo ticks: 399 (Kingfisher)
Old Wednesday 24th July 2019, 09:46   #23
Sangahyando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
If the urban gull expert was the person mentioned in another discussion of this event then yes, he certainly is an urban gull expert. But I am very surprised he would agree that this was possible - unless the dog in question was indeed a puppy.

Steve
Maybe he was asked a vague or misleading question or quoted out of context, or the answers he gave were contracted by the journalists, unintentionally changing the meaning. That kind of thing happens all the time to historians, scientists etc. who are interviewed for documentaries...
Old Wednesday 24th July 2019, 12:52   #24
RichieTwitchy

Some reports in the toilet media about vigilantes hunting gulls.

Maybe it's just more bullcrap to sell their awful rags, but wouldn't rule out some sunburnt drunken yob doing so in an act of bravado.
Old Thursday 25th July 2019, 09:23   #25
JDatchens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieTwitchy View Post
Some reports in the toilet media about vigilantes hunting gulls.

Maybe it's just more bullcrap to sell their awful rags, but wouldn't rule out some sunburnt drunken yob doing so in an act of bravado.
There was a report recently (I think on Twitter) about yobs chucking food in the road for gulls and then running them over in cars. Apparently the Police weren't taking any action... maybe *sarcasm alert* the cars weren't speeding?

Here we go - a BBC report from Taunton, which was the one I was thinking of but 'googling' also brings up similar stories from North Wales...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-48869890
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: