• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bats in cave, Romania (1 Viewer)

jamesevry

I photographed these in Pestera Liliecilor cave at 1000m altitude in the Piatra Craiului area of the Carpathians. I believe the browner individuals on the far left to be Schreiber's bat, and perhaps more/all of the others are of this species? But I'm a total novice on bats, so please help...

And also, is there any way of telling what species these smallish horseshoes belong to? I believe all three of the smaller species are found in the area. (Photos 3/4 show the same individual, I think)

If any closer crops on individuals are wanted, please ask.

Thanks,

Attachments

• craiului 0451.JPG
    craiului 0451.JPG
    475.8 KB · Views: 66
  • craiului 0471.JPG
    craiului 0471.JPG
    472.5 KB · Views: 59
  • craiului 0401.JPG
    craiului 0401.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 71
  • craiului 0421.jpg
    craiului 0421.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 57
  • craiului 0441.JPG
    craiului 0441.JPG
    491.8 KB · Views: 63
Hi, first two pictures belong to Miniopterus scheribersi. All individuals, they are unmistakable since there is no other species of this group in Europe.
Last 3 pictures show probably Rhinolophus hipposideros. It could also be R. ferrumequinum. No other spesies of Rhinolophus occur in the area. Without knowing the size of your bats, it's impossible to tell them apart from those pictures. Since R. ferrumequinum (apart from being much larger) is more warm loving species, my guess would be R. hipposideros.

Hope it helped
Petr

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back