• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Ouse Vs WWT Welney. (1 Viewer)

Do you like me, decide at the last minute to visit one or the other? Depending on time and weather.

Both sites offer a huge array of different species and the views from both are Idyllic. But, for those day where you're sick of seeing people and the noise of strung out bored kids is just fraying your nerves, then RSPB just wins hands down for me.

Walked the whole stretch of RSPB Ouse today and saw 2 people and enough birds to keep me happy for a week. Inc a suspected Meadow Pipit; a first for me.

Oh and 2000+ Whooper swans.

I am visiting Ouse Washes for first time this coming Friday. Can you let me know best locations/hides for Cranes and Hen Harriers please. Thanks for your help.

The Cranes are mobile, but the area just south or north of railway line is the best area, generally (although they wander up to Welney too). Take the long walk from the Welches dam visitors centre (west side) or view from Pymoor railway bridge (east side, accessed by road). Sometimes they move off the reserve to arable fields north of Manea.

Harriers can appear anywhere. This early in the winter you might be lucky with Hen Harrier. A few Marsh's should be around though.

If its a bright day don't forget in the morning's you are looking into the Sun at Manea RSPB. You maybe better visiting Welney WWT first ( Sun behind you ) and Manea later

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back