• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Thai list (1 Viewer)

Thanks for sharing this, Andy. Some of these changes I knew about, like the White-eyes, Ayeyawardy Bulbul, Grey-throated Minivet, White-faced Jay and Oriental Magpie, but others are new to me. Indochinese Roller? Eastern Barn Owl?

I also didn't know about hybridisation between Pale-headed and Bamboo Woodpeckers.

I'm not sure which taxonomy they're adopting. Some changes seem like they come from IOC, some from HBW/Birdlife, but HBW still treats "Baker's Bulbul" as a subspecies of Grey-eyed - I thought it was subsumed into Olive.

Here's the article on Iole Bulbuls if you fancy a bit of headspin!

https://academic.oup.com/biolinnean/article/120/4/931/2970060

Thanks Andy,
It's been said before but when identification starts to require DNA analysis and species are on your list based on probability based on where they were seen, it moves beyond, practical, field birding.

It's all very well when splits provide easy armchair ticks but the way things are moving, we're going to end up with more and more aggregates in our trip reports due to their inseparability in the field, the most obvious example is the Collocalia Swiftlets.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this, Andy. Some of these changes I knew about, like the White-eyes, Ayeyawardy Bulbul, Grey-throated Minivet, White-faced Jay and Oriental Magpie, but others are new to me. Indochinese Roller? Eastern Barn Owl?

I also didn't know about hybridisation between Pale-headed and Bamboo Woodpeckers.

I'm not sure which taxonomy they're adopting. Some changes seem like they come from IOC, some from HBW/Birdlife, but HBW still treats "Baker's Bulbul" as a subspecies of Grey-eyed - I thought it was subsumed into Olive.

Here's the article on Iole Bulbuls if you fancy a bit of headspin!

https://academic.oup.com/biolinnean/article/120/4/931/2970060

Pale-headed is now considered likely extinct. A small population that remains in the NW is considered 1) an undescribed ssp. or, more likely a hybrid with Bamboo Woodpecker http://www.thaibirding.com/ornithology/gecinulus-
woodpeckers.htm

And shouldn't Kloss's Leaf Warbler have been removed from the Thai List on account of intensior (SE Thailand) being moved to Davison's Leaf Warbler (HBW & IOC)

Grahame

Just thought I'd check with Phil Round re status of Kloss's and this is his response

'Well, intensior DNA seems not to have been assayed so far as I can make out and is lumped on vocalisations (?) But even so, disturbans, placed in the ogilviegranti lineage, has been claimed from specimens as a possible winterer.'

Last edited:
It's all very well when splits provide easy armchair ticks but the way things are moving, we're going to end up with more and more aggregates in our trip reports due to their inseparability in the field, the most obvious example is the Collocalia Swiftlets.

Andy,
Be grateful for staying in your armchair. I guess it wasn't you that while out birding found the WW2 minefield near Krasnaya Gorka fort the other day...!
MJB:eek!::eek!::eek!:

Andy,
Be grateful for staying in your armchair. I guess it wasn't you that while out birding found the WW2 minefield near Krasnaya Gorka fort the other day...!
MJB:eek!::eek!::eek!:

No mate, that's over 500 miles South of me.

Highlight for me is Grey-headed pecker at our feeders the other day, a Russian tick for me, never even heard one here.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back