• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie with Ricoh 7x50 (1 Viewer)

zipjim

Greetings,

I am new to the forum, recently retired, age 68, and planning to take up birding in a more organized manner. I pulled out and dusted off a pair of very lightly used binoculars that I acquired many, many years ago.

Ricoh 7x50 7* FOV, 367ft/1000yds, fully multi coated.

Is this model suitable for birding purposes or should I consider something different?

Thanks for your help

Hi zipjim and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular Forum, where there's some experts in this field who will be able to advise you. I also subscribed you to the thread so you will be advised of any replies and will be able to find your way to it easily.

Meantime I hope enjoy your time with us.

Hi zipjim and welcome.

I am surprised the Ricoh is fully multicoated, but if it says so, I suppose it is.
Maybe late 1980s?

If it isn't too heavy for you, I would use it for birdwatching.
However, a modern waterproof binocular could be considered also.
I doubt that the Ricoh is waterproof.

Maybe your pupil size doesn't get as large as 6.0mm, so a smaller exit pupil could be O.K. although eye placement could be easy with the 7x50.
Whether or not you use glasses with binoculars has to be considered.

Regards,
B.

Your description matches the old Ricoh 7x50 Gold Series. That one had huge eyepieces and an extra long eye relief of 26mm. That could turn out to be too much eye relief for comfortable viewing without flickering blackouts.

Check the closest focusing distance. Last year I evaluated an Adlerblick branded version of the same binocular and found the closest focus was very distant. I don't remember the exact distance, but I recall it was at least 30-40', maybe more.

really a boaty bino

Greetings,

I am new to the forum, recently retired, age 68, and planning to take up birding in a more organized manner. I pulled out and dusted off a pair of very lightly used binoculars that I acquired many, many years ago.

Ricoh 7x50 7* FOV, 367ft/1000yds, fully multi coated.

Is this model suitable for birding purposes or should I consider something different?

Thanks for your help

Hello zipjim
7x50 is ideal for using on a boat where it would be used for short bursts and the weight is not a problem. It's not something I would want to carry around my neck for long periods.
The 7x magnification is good for viewing birds / wildlife that is not very far away but the closest focus distance may not favour that,
An 8x or 10x is better for bird watching and a smaller front lens, say 42mm rather than 50mm, will mean a smaller lighter weight instrument.
A more modern water proof model with closer focusing will be more user friendly.

You are the best judge of their suitability, there are many options out there with a wide range of different benefits. Formhandhold tou won’t want to move much up from 7x unless you want a stabilised binocular. There are wider field models available, some have poor eye relief that will affect glasses wearers.... main thing is to get out there and observe and try out some other models, see what works for you!
Peter

Thank you all for your input. Spring birds are just now returning to my area in northeast USA. It's great to hear them in the early morning. Now I'll be watching them also.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

What you have looks like a better pair of 7x50 which is certainly suitable to start with. 7x50 bins offer a very bright image at 7mm exit pupil and a relaxed view due to large depth of field. If the eye relief is as long as has been mentioned and you don't wear glasses while using the bins, you'll have to check if you get blackouts even with the eyecups fully extended.

Later you might want to get a smaller and waterproof pair - maybe an 8x30 if you keep the 7x50 as a low light option.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back