• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking binocular 10X (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am looking for a good binocular. Small and handy, with good optical quality, I have tried some 8x20 (Leica Trinovid) and some 7x35 or 8x30, Nus, Olympus .. (these last Porro prism. Models? But in one way or another I do not have come to convince in their use or weight .. I have to say that 7X or 8X are a bit scarce, there really is a difference between these and a 10X are only 2X more! I usually observe in the open, raptors, ducks and birds somewhat elusive ..., I do not usually observe in forests, for this very reason I am thinking about a good 10X .... but, what size?

I have some possibilities, some 10x25 would go very well for size, some 10x30 something more bright ... or a 10x32, but this already more bulky and heavy ...?
I would like to hear your opinion and advice on this subject .. I have a 10x50 model but it is very very heavy ... I have used a Canon 12X36 sometimes but it is very heavy for a whole afternoon of observation ... and a Porro 7x35 let's not even say ... !!
Thanks for your suggestions in advance.
regards
Wachi

wachipilotes, post 1,
DiFferent factord may influence your choice of course: What do you want to pay, what is your primary use?
I would in any case go to a good shop and try different ones. Do not forget the Meopta's: Good prices, different models.
The Meostar B1 8x32 is very good and not so very expensive. If you want to pay less try the Meopta Meopro models. Want the best: Leica Ultravid 8x32, Swarovski CL Compact 8x30 or 8x30 EL, Zeiss Victory FL 8x32.
I do not know about Nikon in Spain, but in The Netherlands it is not a big player for different reasons. That company also makes good binoculars. The Belgian brand Kite (made in China or Japan, depending n the type of binocular)als offers a good choice. The Dutch brand Bynolyt also has some very good models in different price regions. (just like Kote Optics Bynolyt also has their binoculars made in China or Japan).
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi,

the Canon 12x36 IS is 660g (plus the weight of two AA batteries) - which is at the higher end of what 32mm bins tend to weight.

If that was too heavy, your options are kinda limited. Either a lighter pair of 10x30 bins or 10x25. Please try a pair of the desired size before you buy - both are not everybodies cup of tea due to small exit pupil resulting in dim image in less than perfect light and tricky eye placement. Also holding a very light and tiny pair stable at 10x is not as easy in my opinion as with a larger and heavier pair.

Actually I think the 12x36 IS would be the perfect instrument for your use case.

Joachim

(I talk about 8x as that's what I've used. I think this all extends to the 10x versions of the binoculars too.)

I use the Kowa Genesis 8x33 (20.8 oz / 590 g). An excellent choice. I like it better than the Conquest HD 8x32 (another excellent choice), but that is personal preference.

In the x30 - x32 range, I think the Nikon M7 8x30 (15.3 oz / 435.0 g) is the most compact and lightest. It's good quality, but not alpha tier. The M7 eye relief didn't work for me, but that's a person-by-person issue.

I liked the Meopta Meopro HD 8x32 and Minox BL 8x33 v2 better than the M7, but they are not as compact.

For truly small, you want a x20 or x25. The x30s will still not fit in a pocket. I use the Leica 8x20. Others have raved about the Zeiss Victory 8x25, but I have not tried them.

Marc

A good compromiso are one 10x32 small bino, or it´s in the dim side ? maybe one more diameter like 10x42 in small format?
I really didn't like the Canon 12×36 IS III ergonomics at all - horrible for me ....
I've had the opportunity to use the Swarovski 10×32 SV a few times, and I have to say it's superb for a mere 3.2mm exit pupil - it really seems like much more - and I wear glasses. It also has an expansive AFov that is really nice, and is surprisingly bright. I find it light (580grams) and small (I really find it a bit small for my hands, but if you are after something on the smaller side I can think of no better).

Give it a try, you could save yourself a heck of a lot of mucking around. :t:

Chosun :gh:

I've had the opportunity to use the Swarovski 10×32 SV a few times, and I have to say it's superb for a mere 3.2mm exit pupil - it really seems like much more - and I wear glasses. It also has an expansive AFov that is really nice, and is surprisingly bright. I find it light (580grams) and small (I really find it a bit small for my hands, but if you are after something on the smaller side I can think of no better).

Give it a try, you could save yourself a heck of a lot of mucking around. :t:

Chosun :gh:

I'm inclined to agree with Chosun; an excellent instrument in a configuration (10x32) which is criminally overlooked by birders!

RB

A good compromiso are one 10x32 small bino, or it´s in the dim side ?
Birders cast aspersions on 10x32 all the time, but it's been my daily binocular for nearly 20 years (Leica BN, HD+) and I still love it. Definitely try a high quality 10x32. They can even have a wider FOV than larger models. (10x30, not so much... prresumably cost-cutting at a lower price point)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back