• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon P6000 (1 Viewer)

David, why not try using Manual which will give you much greater control over the camera for exposure and shutter speed. Try also adjusting which white balance you wish to use for the conditions and try differenr ISO ratings. Not hard to do this on the Nikon just a few seconds to adjust through menu.

Hi Robert,
Thanks, interestingly most, if not all of my portrait/land scape and macro images are stot in Manual setting, therefore will be interesting to transfer these techniques into digiscoping.

I have a project in mind, as I am new to digiscoping, I intend to "blog" my experiences and put into practice the advice given on this site and post results. Spent time with Paul hackett yesterday which was extremly useful and will be putting pauls advice into practice.

I am very greatful for any further advice.

P.S my Blog is accessable via my Zenfolio site, listed below.

Hi Robert,
Thanks, interestingly most, if not all of my portrait/land scape and macro images are stot in Manual setting, therefore will be interesting to transfer these techniques into digiscoping.

I have a project in mind, as I am new to digiscoping, I intend to "blog" my experiences and put into practice the advice given on this site and post results. Spent time with Paul hackett yesterday which was extremly useful and will be putting pauls advice into practice.

I am very greatful for any further advice.

P.S my Blog is accessable via my Zenfolio site, listed below.

I have not read all of the threads on the P6000 so apologies if I am repeating questions already answered.

I also have a Swaro ATS80 with a 20-60x zoom. Now the P5100 is no longer available I assume that the best camera to use is the P6000. Some of the posts have suggested that the P6000 will not work as well as the P5100?

I would be planning to use a DCA, but not sure which adaptor I then need to attach this to the camera.

Would also be interested to know how good the video setting is on the P6000. My old panasonic camcorder has now died so put an end to my videoscoping.

Thanks

SC

Hey SC,

As you may remember, I use the P5100 though believe that the P6000 is very similar (though if you go through this thread I think the lenses work slightly differently with the zoom eyepiece) and use the UR-E20 Nikon adaptor to attach the DCA to the Camera. The Video is actually quite impressive, for me anyway. Here are a few short vids all using the P5100, I expect the P6000 to be slightly better. Scroll through, there are a few nice eastern thrushes from China this year - http://ibc.lynxeds.com/users/mark-andrews

Nikon P5100 and Swarovski ats65hd with 20x60 eyepiece

Hi SC

For the adapter, I got mine frome here: http://www.srb-griturn.com/digi-scoping-1-c.asp costs around £29.00p

I have had a quick test tonight with the P6000, very very impressed, attached a file that I feel shows detail.

The shot was take at around 100mtrs and against a dull grey sky.

F/4.4
ISO 400
1/200
Ex Bias 0
Centre weight metering
Nikon Remote shutter release

The GPS worked well, but not sure of its value?

I used the camera from IS0 64 to ISO 6400 and the camera performed very well. However I am aware the true test will be in the field.

I also used "matrix metering" which also gave great results.

Attachments

• (gh.png
    (gh.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 283
David, why not try using Manual which will give you much greater control over the camera for exposure and shutter speed. Try also adjusting which white balance you wish to use for the conditions and try differenr ISO ratings. Not hard to do this on the Nikon just a few seconds to adjust through menu.

Hah! Says you! 8-P

Has anyone had an email from Nikon, with regards to battery life? I have just upgraded my firmware which Nikon tell me is in response to customer feedback, the email from Nikon suggests (in my opinion) that the GPS system "eats batteries":eat:

First outing with the P6000 today,

1) Apature priority
2) Centre weighted
3) Ex Bias -1/3
4) Remote shutter
5) ISO 200
6) Shutter Speed 1/200

First attempt "in the field" at digiscoping and enjoyed using the camera.......

Attachments

• (1-of-1)-112.jpg
    (1-of-1)-112.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 367
  • wee3.png
    wee3.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 293
First outing with the P6000 today,

1) Apature priority
2) Centre weighted
3) Ex Bias -1/3
4) Remote shutter
5) ISO 200
6) Shutter Speed 1/200

First attempt "in the field" at digiscoping and enjoyed using the camera.......

David
No wonder you are enjoying the camera. Lovely shots indeed.

Have been "playing" with the P6000 for a few days now and first impressions are good, however, I dont get the "GPS & NRW files".....

1) GPS seems to "suck the life of the battery"

2) NRW files not recognised by Adobe LR or PS, I have had to "download" ViewNX, which seems a little odd, why have RAW which is only recognised by Nikon Software.....

Like the camera, But not to sure of the advantages of the P5100?

The attached image was shot in:

1) Matrix meter
2) Cetre weighted focus
3) ISO 400
4) Ex Bias 0
5) Apature Priority
6) Shutter speed 1/200

Light was very poor........

Attachments

• bt.png
    bt.png
    171 KB · Views: 322
Have been "playing" with the P6000 for a few days now and first impressions are good, however, I dont get the "GPS & NRW files".....

1) GPS seems to "suck the life of the battery"

2) NRW files not recognised by Adobe LR or PS, I have had to "download" ViewNX, which seems a little odd, why have RAW which is only recognised by Nikon Software.....

Like the camera, But not to sure of the advantages of the P5100?

The attached image was shot in:

1) Matrix meter
2) Cetre weighted focus
3) ISO 400
4) Ex Bias 0
5) Apature Priority
6) Shutter speed 1/200

Light was very poor........

David,
The ED lens will give you better images in poor light over the P5100 and the IR Remote does help to.
Neil

GPS does suck the battery, even when the camera is off. so I turn the feature off. There is a firmware update that reduces it.

On my PC with Adobe photoshop with Camera Raw 4.6, I can view the .Nrw files in Bridge but cant open them in Raw, but if i (batch) rename the file extension to .NEF (as with My D60) they then open fine with Camera Raw !!

Have put the P6000 "through the mill" agree with Neil, the lens is very good, The attached image was shot in poor light with mild rain.

1) Matrix metered.
2)Centre weighted focus
3) ISO 400
4) Shutter speed 1/250
5) f/7.4
6) Ex Bias 0
7) Scope "Swarvoski 80mm with20-60mm zoom"
8) 50% crop

Very pleased with the results, to date......

Attachments

• (1 .jpg
    (1 .jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 355
Does anybody has expirience with the "Picture Control" settings for shooting jpegs? There are entries like sharpness, contrast etc. Until know I have used the default settings, but may be that it not the optimum for digiscoping.

Some results from today, Heron from 85m.
Swarovski ATS80HD, 25-50zoom, Nikon P6000, DCB-A

Attachments

• specht.jpg
    specht.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 205
  • reiher.jpg
    reiher.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 216
  • kleiber.jpg
    kleiber.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 153
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back