• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated on the snag. (1 Viewer)

black crow

I hike with my dogs for a couple hours a day in the mountainsides above Ashland Oregon. It's smallish town very close to the border of N. California. There's a big snag off one of the trails and I see this Pileated on it about every tenth time I hike that trail. I saw it today. Once on a hike last summer I saw three of them. Lots of big snags for them.

However I've lived here 30 years and I swear there is a lot less bird and other animal life around anymore. I mean a lot less. Unless you're in town I mean as all the deer and turkeys have moved into town. On any day I can expect to see a dozen deer and often that many turkeys as I walk from my house to the trailheads. That's about a 15 minute walk.

Yeah out in the sticks. I once lived just over the border in N. Cal. (Gasquet Ca.) and went through Cave Junction all the time. You were a long way from home. That's a wild area and close to the Redwoods.

Yep - that's what I was there to see! And Brewer's Spruces, and other such Siskiyou tree rarities. Superb area! o:D

It is a beautiful area with some real wilderness with roadless areas and damless rivers. Ashland is about a two hour drive from the Redwoods. There are lots of hummingbirds down that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back