• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grass snake (1 Viewer)

robinm

I noticed a grass snake in my garden pond system this a.m. I didn't get a good look at it but it was 12-18 inches long - I think this is not fully grown.

Should I be worried for the fish in my pond - mainly gold fish, but also some carp which are 8-10 inches themselves.

Ta,

Hi Robin,

Sorry can't help with your query regarding the safety of your fish....

I do know that grass snakes get a bit bigger than that (I seem to recall from my youth that 3-4 feet was about right) My Collins book actually suggests that they could reach 2m!!!

One would imagine that the bigger fish might well be OK, but anything small must be in some danger I would have thought....

Hope all goes well anyway....

Rgds.... Ruby

robinm said:
I noticed a grass snake in my garden pond system this a.m. I didn't get a good look at it but it was 12-18 inches long - I think this is not fully grown.

Should I be worried for the fish in my pond - mainly gold fish, but also some carp which are 8-10 inches themselves.

Ta,
Robin

I have seen ( 25-30" ) one in a lake with the tail of a 5 inch fish ( perch ) sticking out of its mouth, so your Goldfish could be in danger!. Would have thoughr the Carp were too big.

robinm said:

Ta,
Hi Robin, yes you should be worried about your fish, they will also take tadpoles-frogs - nesting birds, but the main part of their diet is fish. lengh-70-150cm. you could gentley remove it from your garden, and take it to some wooded area that has water near, you are in no danger from this snake the worst it will do is emit a foul smelling odour untill its released, hope this helps, bert.

It would be good to contact your local RSPCA or such like as grass snakes are not so common these days and it would be very unfortunate if it were to suffer in any way.

scampo said:
It would be good to contact your local RSPCA or such like as grass snakes are not so common these days and it would be very unfortunate if it were to suffer in any way.
Thanks. I certainly don't want to harm it in any way. Just think it shouldn't be in the garden.

robinm said:
Thanks. I certainly don't want to harm it in any way. Just think it shouldn't be in the garden.
Hi Robin, you could try RSPCA, as advised, but i think you will find they are a bit reluctant to get involved, they tend to ask you if you know of anybody with knowledge of snakes, to help with the removal. As their role is animal cruelty and therefore are busy. Any animal shelters near you with staff willing to help? you can only ask. Ok you go for it yourself! This is the best advise i can help you with, they are cold blooded so need to get their body tempreture up on a nice warm day. Best time is early am. and as a good birder this will be no prob to you eh! You need to catch them before they warm up, so that they are nice and quite. A piece of sacking is a good idea as this will keep the odour of you skin and subdue the snake, without causing any real upset. Then place all in a big bag or some kind of holder, and remove to new location, were all will be happy. I know it sounds hard work but its not, belive me i have moved a few in this way and found it the best for all concerned. Adders as well. Will you let me know how you get on witchever way you decide. best regards bert.

Robin, i should have said in the above message you need to find the favourite place were the snake suns itself to warm up. And when you have approach quickley and place sacking over snake, you will find it docile enough to do this because its temp will still be low. bert.

Cheers, Bert.

I think I wll wait and watch for a day or two to see if I can spot the "sunning" location. Maybe I should look for a towel on a sunbed ;)

robinm said:
Cheers, Bert.

I think I wll wait and watch for a day or two to see if I can spot the "sunning" location. Maybe I should look for a towel on a sunbed ;)

I reckon you might do well to put out a lure of some description Robin.

How about some factor 20 and a couple of cold beers..... ;)

Good luck with the grass snake.... These were a common feature of my youth but rarely seen these days (spookily enough I did see 2 last week though)

robinm said:
Cheers, Bert.

Good one Robin :clap: :bounce:

bert.

Ruby said:
I reckon you might do well to put out a lure of some description Robin.

How about some factor 20 and a couple of cold beers..... ;)

Good luck with the grass snake.... These were a common feature of my youth but rarely seen these days (spookily enough I did see 2 last week though)
As you say Ruby, not so common now. not seen any this year!! couple cold beers would go down a treat cheers.B :) B :)

The 2 you saw were they in your garden, or local as in nearby the reason i ask is i am interested in the area's these reptiles are being seen, and the sort of habitat. also time of day & weather at time of sighting. They are just not as wide spread as they used to be. Any info would really be appreciated. thanks in advance.
bert.

Hi Bert,

They were both seen at the edge of the Moat Pond at Thursley Common in West Surrey.

It was a nice warm sunny day at about 1:00pm

The first one was disturbed by my appearance and beat a retreat sharpish into the undergrowth. I was just lucky to get a good look at it as it slithered off very quickly.

Walked on no more than 20' or so and a second snake repeated the trick, but this time heading for the nearby water.

Both snakes were a fair size (3' plus) so adults I assume - maybe a pair....

I did see one more earlier on this Summer, but can't for the life of me remember where.

Before that, I probably hadn't seen one in the UK for 30 years!!

All the best... Ruby

Ruby

We've spent years and years looking for reptiles and have seen very few indeed. My son, Nick, is very keen on them, but really, the hours of walking and looking and finding most of the time, nothing! We did see some fine slow worms in mid-Wales, and last year our first grass snake in Norfolk. Lizards we are luckier with, but again, very few and far between.

If anyone has any reliable sights within easy reach of Leicesterhire, I'd be grateful to hear about them!

scampo said:
Ruby

We've spent years and years looking for reptiles and have seen very few indeed. My son, Nick, is very keen on them, but really, the hours of walking and looking and finding most of the time, nothing! We did see some fine slow worms in mid-Wales, and last year our first grass snake in Norfolk. Lizards we are luckier with, but again, very few and far between.

If anyone has any reliable sights within easy reach of Leicesterhire, I'd be grateful to hear about them!
Steve could i ask if you do get any sighting's of any of these reptile's.

Slow worm.

Grass snake.

Adder.

Smooth snake.
Would it be possible for you to post me info on were the sighting was, time of day, weather at the time. I really would be most gratefull. IT'S been very bleak as regard's these reptiles in our part of the world, so a few of us are trying to compile some info. If i hear of anything of interest near to you will post you. Thanks in advance bert.

Your a star.

Ruby said:
Hi Bert,

They were both seen at the edge of the Moat Pond at Thursley Common in West Surrey.

It was a nice warm sunny day at about 1:00pm

The first one was disturbed by my appearance and beat a retreat sharpish into the undergrowth. I was just lucky to get a good look at it as it slithered off very quickly.

Walked on no more than 20' or so and a second snake repeated the trick, but this time heading for the nearby water.

Both snakes were a fair size (3' plus) so adults I assume - maybe a pair....
before that, I probably hadn't seen one in the UK for 30 years!!

All the best... Ruby
Ruby many thanks for that info, it's just what i needed, i owe you for that bert.

bert said:
Slow worm.
Grass snake.
Adder.
Smooth snake.
Would it be possible for you to post me info on were the sighting was,.
Bert

Grass snake. Sunday about 4:30 pm sunning itself on a narrow path by the side ( east ) of a gravel pit, long grass and hawthorn hedge on other side of path. Slid quickly in to grass and hedge. First I have seen this year, usually have around 10 sigtings per year around this pit. Nr Twyford, Berks.

I have fished at Blenheim Palace, all fishing from boat, finish at 6pm. Quite often see grass snakes in the boat house mopping up anglers discarded live bait( maggots worms etc ).

bert said:

Slow worm.

Grass snake.

Adder.

Smooth snake.
Would it be possible for you to post me info on were the sighting was, time of day, weather at the time. I really would be most gratefull. IT'S been very bleak as regard's these reptiles in our part of the world, so a few of us are trying to compile some info. If i hear of anything of interest near to you will post you. Thanks in advance bert.
Do you mean anywhere, Bert?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back