• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Results from colour-ring reading (1 Viewer)

Just send an email to [email protected]

I think Mute Swan is yet to be properly transferred to the new version of the colour ringing website and so only recently registered schemes come up when you do what you did. I had the same problem with LBB Gull recently.

Steve

Email sent, thanks for your help Steve. I tried this a few weeks ago but to no avail!

edit: email returned undeliverable, ive found the email address now its [email protected] for anyone who needs it!

Last edited:
instant response!

Thank you for the report of your sighting of the orange ringed mute swan, P7A, at Stanpit on 11 November. The bird was ringed as a first year female in Christchurch harbour on 16 July 2006. She was also seen in the harbour in July of 2007 & 08. In 2009 she raised 7 cygnets locally with the cob J7C and similarly in 2010 5 cygnets. Neither of the pair had been seen this year until your report. The pair are particularly interesting as one of them carries a recessive gene which results in some of their cygnets having white rather than the normal brown feathering in their first year, which are known as 'polish' cygnets. In 2009, five of the cygnets were white and two normal but in 2010 all were normal.

The ringing is being carried out as part of a long-term study of the swan population in the Avon catchment. Most of the swans are caught during their mid-Summer moult, when they become flightless and can be easily rounded-up into temporary pens and rings and health checked before release. During July in the harbour the swans can number up to 500 but numbers drop swiftly in September once they are again flying. Most will then disperse coastally to the east and west or move inland up the Avon and Stour, with a few making longer journeys to the Severn or Thames and very few crossing to France. A few remain to breed locally.

Fantastic! Thanks very much for your help in submitting my reading Steve!

A speedy response to my colour ring report of the knot. It took less than 24 hrs to get a reply.

The bird was ringed at De Richel, Netherlands on 02/09/2011. This is the first sighting since it was ringed.

The same bird was present about a mile away at Newburn Bridge this afternoon in amongst a large group of Knot including another Knot with just a metal ring.

Ian just posted about Purple Sands on a new thread see here also http://thedrunkbirder.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/the-colour-purple/

I reported some Curlews yesterday that have been around over the last 2-3 days and several for the last two weeks. Another speedy response with the reply arriving last night.

Looks like some old friends have returned ;)

1. “OY NY” was ringed on 7th September 1991 as a juvenile bird (BTO ring no. FC48911). The bird remained using Seal Sands & Seaton Common throughout the winter and when over-summering and moulting during 1992 as a first summer. Sightings would suggest it emigrated in it’s second summer sometime after 22nd March 1993, returning by 5th July. Thereafter it was generally recorded on Seal Sands during the late summer/autumn (July - August) and then again late winter (January – March, once in April; 11th in 1995). Since our team was disbanded at the University in late 2001, the few observations made were by the two of us, largely of the bird foraging on Seaton Common in autumn and winter. You were last to report the bird, on Seaton Common on 22nd March 2008.

2. “RY GR” was ringed on 6th March 1992 as an adult (BTO ring no. FA25118) – born in a year previous to 1991. Sightings would suggest the bird largely uses Seal Sands during the late summer/autumn with all winter sightings from Seaton Common. This is the second sighting for 2011, the previous in October from Seaton Common.

3. “WR OY” was ringed on 21st July 1997 as an adult (BTO ring no. FC80366) – born in a year previous to 1997. This bird’s pattern of occurrence and location is similar to that of the previous individual. You were also the last to report this bird, 16th March 2008 at Seaton Common.

4. “WR WR” was ringed on 21st July 1997 as an adult (BTO ring no. FC80379) – born in a year previous to 1997. The few sightings of this bird again reflects a pattern of occurrence similar to the previous two individuals though John Grieveson did record it on Seal Sands in January 2005. I last sighted the bird, this feeding on Seal Sands on 17th September 2008.

5. “GY WN” was ringed on 16th July 2001 as an adult (BTO ring no. FA86718) – born in a year previous to 2001. There has only been three previous re-sightings of this bird, twice on Seal Sands (Sept 2002, August 2008) and Seaton Common (November 2009).

I can only add to all the praises of colour-ringing here, but then I'm a bit biased...

Down here in Cornwall I've recently seen a German Curlew, Med Gulls from France, Belgium, Hungary and Ireland (one of only 11 ringed in Ireland that year!), several of Tim and co's Black-headed Gulls and a rehab Herring Gull from Somerset. Most responses have been very quick but I must admit I still have two Turnstone outstanding for almost a year, which is annoying as I'm sure they're Canadian...

I came across another colour ringed Purple Sandpiper today. I received a reply from the ringer, K.M. Soot in less than one hour.

Thank you very much for taking the time to report to us details of the sighting of a flagged Purple Sandpiper (Calidris maritima). Information about this bird and its movement is given below:

Ring no : Stavanger 8B09900
Flag CAT ( Left tarsus : metal. Left tibia : orange colour ring. Right tibia: lime flag engraved with three black letters CAT.)
Age/sex/biometrics: F2K+ (female, hatched 2009 or before)
Ringing date: 07.06.2010, 16 hrs.
Ringing place: Longyearbyen (78.13.13N-15.40.06E) Svalbard / Spitzbergen
Ringers: Ole Edvard Torland and Kjell Mork Soot

Finding date: 07.12.2011, 13 hrs.
Observed : The Headland, Hartlepool (54.41N-01.12W) Durham, England
Observer : Ian Forrest
Distance: 2695 km SSW. Direction: 204 deg.
Time: 1-6-0. (1 year, 6 months).
Remarks: Photographed, distinct photos of flag and letters. Around 25 Purple Sandpipers observed.

If you notice any errors in the information, please inform us about your corrections.

1274 Purple Sandpipers were flagged with lime/light green flag and orange marker ring in Longyearbyen year 2010. Ca. 300 were ringed with only metal ring because we had no more flags. In year 2011 we flagged 1087 Purples with green flag engraved with white letters (because lime is out of stock) , and orange marker ring in Longyearbyen. Year 2009: 665 were flagged with orange flag at Sørkappøya (South Cape Island), Svalbard, and 99 year 2011 (yellow marker ring).

Thank you very much for this interesting information! If you are interested to see photos etc from Longyearbyen, and see the place where lime CAT were ringed, www.LoFF.biz. It is members of LoFF (Longyearbyen Feltbiologiske Forening) who are ringing/flagging Purples at Svalbard. More about our projects you also find in www.svalbardbirds.com/Sorkappoya-filer/sorkappoya.htm .
About Norwegian colour ringing see: www.ringmerking.no/cr/.

And we hope, of course, that you will look for flagged Purple Sandpipers in the future !
This year we have started flagging Dunlin (Calidris alpina) at Svalbard: Orange flag on right tibia engraved with 3 black letters, and one orange marker ring on left tibia..

Attachments

• IMG_7926a.jpg
    IMG_7926a.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 203
An additional colour ringed Curlew was around on 5th/6th December.

Ring Age/ Capture
number Typ Date Init Details
Curlew
FP13664 N 6 29/08/00 MAE Seal Sands, Hartlepool
O 2 Sighted (R) 13/12/00 RM Seaton Common, Teesmouth, Hartlepool (2 km, N, 106 days)
O 2 Sighted (R) 19/09/02 RM Seal Sands, Hartlepool (2 yrs 21days)
O 4 Sighted (R) 17/02/03 RM Seal Sands, Hartlepool (2 yrs 172days)
O 2 Sighted (R) 11/08/05 RM Seal Sands, Hartlepool (4 yrs 347days)
O 4 Sighted (R) 15/10/08 RM Seal Sands, Hartlepool (8 yrs 47days)
O 4 Sighted (R) 17/09/09 RM Seal Sands, Hartlepool (9 yrs 19days)
O 4 Sighted 06/12/11 Seaton Common, Teesmouth, Hartlepool (2 km, N, 11 yrs 99days)

Attachments

• IMG_5278a.jpg
    IMG_5278a.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 209
I just got my results back from a colour-ringed Twite I saw at Reculver in Kent on 18/10/2011. It was ringed in the nest in July 2009 at Warley Moor Reservoir, West Yorks.

Found 833 days later and 340km away.

A colour ringed Mediterranean Gull PAU2 was back in the car park behind The Almighty Cod at Seaton Carew. It's been around for about a week now but I managed to catch up with it today thanks to Dave Harrison. I saw it in the same place last year.

A partial history is given below. Info from Northumbrian Birding website. There maybe additional more recent sightings from 2010 onwards. I've sent off the details to the ringer and will update the entry if/where they arrive.

Details*received*of Med Gull PAU2 as featured in the header.

Ornithological Station
Museum and Institute of Zoology Polish Academy of Sciences
Nadwiślańska 108, 80-680 Gdańsk 40, Poland
phone (+48 58) 308-07-59, fax (+48 58) 308-09-82
e-mail: [email protected]

Sightings and recoveries relating to the Polish colour-ringing programme of Mediterranean Gull Larus melanocephalus

Status
O trapped and ringed R roosting
V controlled; ring read * ring found
T controlled; bird trapped A ring added
X found dead C ring changed
& shot
B breeding

Colour ring number: RED PAU2 metal ring number: Gdansk FN 08382

Colour ring position: right tarsus metal ring position: left tarsus

Ringing data

St Date Age Place Coordinates Ringer/observer
OB. 07.05.2006 > 3 CY PACZKOWSKI RESERVOIR, KOZIELNO, WROCLAW, POLAND 50.29 N 16.58 E KOŁODZIEJCZYK, P.

Life history

VB 21.05.2006 > 3 CY PACZKOWSKI RESERVOIR, KOZIELNO, WROCLAW, POLAND 50.29 N 16.58 E KOŁODZIEJCZYK, P.
VB 27.05.2006 > 3 CY PACZKOWSKI RESERVOIR, KOZIELNO, WROCLAW, POLAND 50.29 N 16.58 E KOŁODZIEJCZYK, P.
VB 04.06.2006 > 3 CY PACZKOWSKI RESERVOIR, KOZIELNO, WROCLAW, POLAND 50.29 N 16.58 E KOŁODZIEJCZYK, P.
V 24.07.2006 CRIMDON BEACH, NORTH OF HARTLEPOOL, DURHAM, UK 54.72 N 01.24 W FORSTER, C.
V 18.12.2007 SEATON CAREW, NORTH EAST ENGLAND, UK 54.39 N 01.11 W ROWBOTTOM, M.
V 03.03.2008 AD SCALBY MILLS, SCARBOROUGH, NORTH YERKSHIRE, UK ADDEY, N
V 28.10.2008 WHITLEY BAY, NORTHUMBERLAND, UK 55.03 N 01.27 W HODGSON, M. S.
V 04.01.2009 AD SEATON CAREW, COUNTY DURHAM, UK 54.39 N 01.11 W DEIGHTON, A.
V 25.10.2009 AD NORTH SHIELDS, FISH QUAY, TYNE RIVER MOUTH, UK 55.01 N 01.30 W TURNER, D.
TB 23.05.2010 > 3 CY MIETKOW RESERVOIR, WROCLAW, POLAND 50.59 N 16.40 E KOŁODZIEJCZYK, P.
V 05.10.2010 ST MARY'S ISLAND, NORTHUMBERLAND, UK BULLOUGH, B.
V 21.10.2010 WHITLEY BAY, NORTHUMBERLAND, UK 55.03 N 01.27 W HODGSON, M. S.

Attachments

• IMG_3401a.jpg
    IMG_3401a.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 198
Got a decent result from a colour-ringed Black-headed Gull that I saw at Thamesmead, London, on New Year's day 2012 - managed to track the ringing scheme via the excellent website www.cr-birding.com and emailed the ringer directly (what I normally try to do these days). The bird was ringed as a nestling at Sosnovaya Polyana, St.Petersburg, Russia on 10th June 2010 - photo attached.

Do a lot of colour ring reading on gulls, but living in Central London, you have to take what you can get when it comes to birds. So I've now come to trying to read metal rings... particularly from Black-headed Gulls. It's a cross between birding and sleuthing, but fun all the same - http://rothandb.blogspot.com/2011/12/more-rings.html.

Cheers and good birding
Rich

Attachments

• IMG_7485-copy.jpg
    IMG_7485-copy.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 247
Hi Rich,

you mentioned a incorrect address of the website. It´s http://www.cr-birding.be/ (the old site) or http://www.cr-birding.org/ (the new site).

Regards,
Roman

Yes, sorry Roman; thanks for pointing out the mistake. Anyway, I've had a lot of colour-ringed gulls on the River Thames over the last couple of weeks - from Poland (Caspian) and Norway (GBB Gulls) as well as more of the usual local recoveries (mainly Herrings) from Suffolk and rehabilitated Sussex birds (and birds colour-ringed locally by the North Thames Gull Group).

Cheers
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.com/

Just received a positive response to a colour ringed Common Sandpiper I saw and photographed at RSPB Saltholme on 7th May 2011. It was ringed the previous day in Derbyshire.
The bird was ringed as a female (presumed first year) on 6th May 2011, the day before you saw it, at Grainfoot Inlet, Ladybower Reservoir (N arm, E shore), Upper Derwent Valley, Derbyshire (SK 190 879) with ring NW28767. It weighed 56 g at the time and had a wing length of 114 mm.

It travelled quite a distance overnight. I saw it at 10.30 in the morning on 7th May.

Attachments

• IMG_5509a.jpg
    IMG_5509a.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 220
Had a colour ringed Herring Gull at Seaton Carew a few days ago. Metal ring on right tibia and then black over lime green over orange on right tarsus. No rings on left leg. Tried the only combination that matched on CR Birding site (Camille) but it's not one of hers. Anyone have any ideas?

Had a colour-ringed Black-headed Gull at Hornsea Mere a few weeks ago and reported it via euring. No response yet so I looked at cr-birding and there are no schemes listed for white colour-rings with 3 letters/numbers (code was white Y20). Can anyone make any suggestions?

James

Had a colour ringed Herring Gull at Seaton Carew a few days ago. Metal ring on right tibia and then black over lime green over orange on right tarsus. No rings on left leg. Tried the only combination that matched on CR Birding site (Camille) but it's not one of hers. Anyone have any ideas?

Unlikely to be a British bird if the metal ring is on the tibia, but might be worth trying Pat Monaghan anyway (http://www.cr-birding.org/node/354).

Had a colour-ringed Black-headed Gull at Hornsea Mere a few weeks ago and reported it via euring. No response yet so I looked at cr-birding and there are no schemes listed for white colour-rings with 3 letters/numbers (code was white Y20). Can anyone make any suggestions?

James
I have been looking for BH Gull white ring "T73" which I have seen and photographed 4 times, tried various suggestions with as yet no replies.
Brian

I saw a regularly wintering Med Gull here in Merseyside today.Originally ringed in Arnhem, Netherlands back in June 1990, so its now in its 22nd year! Its taken a battering over the last few years , losing its right leg, but was still bossing the Black-headeds about today!

I saw a regularly wintering Med Gull here in Merseyside today.Originally ringed in Arnhem, Netherlands back in June 1990, so its now in its 22nd year! Its taken a battering over the last few years , losing its right leg, but was still bossing the Black-headeds about today!

Tough bird!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back