• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help me choose -opticron hr80ed or swaro ATS 65HD for sea watching... (1 Viewer)

Ratal

I'm torn. I love the idea of the higher zoom opticron at 72 mag, but now having a financial boost means I could go for the ATS 65 hd with the 60 mag lens....so I'm guessing I'm asking for thoughts, pros and cons really.

Would I really lose a lot going for the smaller swaro? Or is it a good all rounder? The huge differences in weight doesn't worry me greatly it's the image and experience that matters.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
If the priority a good image at higher power, with both weight and money less critical factors, the big Kowa 883 is hard to beat.

Look through the pair of them and try find and track something moving in the middle distance. Seawatching isn't about magnification, its about how well your eye can resolve details when following a moving bird.

If it's sea watching you're wanting it for, remember to factor in the cost of a good tripod, don't be tempted to buy a cheap one which will shake in the wind. Another subject altogether, which you might want to get separate advice on.

If it's sea watching you're wanting it for, remember to factor in the cost of a good tripod, don't be tempted to buy a cheap one which will shake in the wind. Another subject altogether, which you might want to get separate advice on.

Thanks Jane, my eyes are very acute detail perception wise on rapid moving objects. Delia, hahahah you read my mind on the tripod issue. I left it out as I see that's a whole subject matter in itself :) however I will certainly be upgrading .

Thanks Jane, my eyes are very acute detail perception wise on rapid moving objects. Delia, hahahah you read my mind on the tripod issue. I left it out as I see that's a whole subject matter in itself :) however I will certainly be upgrading .

Its the moving telescope that is the issue... try them out on the same tripod and see which you get best result from. I like to get the widest field of view possible, to reduce the need to scan.

Its the moving telescope that is the issue... try them out on the same tripod and see which you get best result from. I like to get the widest field of view possible, to reduce the need to scan.

This is the absolute core.of my decision, as some else has pointed out, the swaro wide angle 25x50 would be better in this respect... Wide field is an absolute bonus.. thanks for the input, appreciated.

As stated it's not all about big mags when sea watching. I use a swaro sts 80hd with the 25-50 and very seldom have it off the 25 mag when scoping. My girlfriend uses the sts 65 with the 20-60 zoom. If I was changing my kit, I would go for the 65 now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back