• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon files patent to reduce noise and aliasing in small pixels. (1 Viewer)

I'm wondering what you mean by "high-res"?
The 1D Mark IV has 1.6x the pixels of the Mark III, and I thought long and hard before making the change. (Sq Root of 1.6 improvement in linear terms, ~1.26) If the Mark IV had offered >20MP, I guess I would have jumped earlier - but perhaps I wouldn't have been able to afford the higher asking price! For me using a 1.3x crop for birding, I think 24MP would be very acceptable - even if the higher ISO performance wasn't that good. My shooting rarely uses ISOs higher than 3200.

Hi Malcolm,

1d4 is roughly equivent to a 27MP full frame in terms of pixel density. I just wished Canon wouldnt have abandoned the 1.3x crop and still hope it'l come back with a higher pixel count version somewhere in the twenties. With this patent, and the ISO performance of the latest EOS cams, I dont think we should worry about noise even up to ISO 3200, which for me, give the amount of hours of sunlight we get here is more than acceptable for me.

Regards :)

Hi Malcolm,

1d4 is roughly equivalent to a 27MP full frame in terms of pixel density. I just wished Canon wouldn't have abandoned the 1.3x crop and still hope it'll come back with a higher pixel count version somewhere in the twenties. With this patent, and the ISO performance of the latest EOS cams, I don't think we should worry about noise even up to ISO 3200, which for me, give the amount of hours of sunlight we get here is more than acceptable for me.

Regards :)

I use Full Frame where it has an advantage but rarely for birding. I DO like the option to shoot at 10fps with the 1D Mark IV. It's just about fast enough to capture the incredibly detailed underside of duck's wings when they have a flap after a dunking.

(I wonder if Canon are hoping to address some of the criticisms of the 7D and its alleged noise levels? Never handled one, so all I know is from web-chatter.)

Agree about the 7d. I have one and get frustrated as in reality dont like using it above ISO1600. Yes it can be removed with good post processing but still, slows te workflow. Use it as a backup body. Otherwise its a good body for birding.

Hope the muched hyped 7d2 becomes a high-res 1.3x crop, but I doubt it very much!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back