• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windy but good first day Birding! (1 Viewer)

Passerine Dream

Passerine Dream
I live north of Toronto about 25 minutes. Went to the local conservation area with my new pair of Bino's. Had a blast. It was quite windy so im thinking this is possibly why I didnt see many birds today. Maybe a more experienced birder can chime in on wind and birding? Does it help or hinder? Anyways im a noob also so that had allot to do with it. I went to Claireville Conservation Area. I saw 4 different species. i hope I identified them correctly.

1. Canada Geese
2. Shinned Hawk
3. Black Capped chikadee
4. European Starling

I also saw a couple other birds but I wasn't able to identify them. Anyways this was my first ever trip Birding and im very excited to have found this wonderful and joyful activity.

cheers

It was quite windy so im thinking this is possibly why I didnt see many birds today. Maybe a more experienced birder can chime in on wind and birding? Does it help or hinder?

Wind is a definite hindrance for most birding - they hide for shelter, and get more difficult to see among moving foliage. The one exception is seabirds at sea, you see more of them on windy days.

i admire your fortitude! i know Canada is a big country but a farmer mate there is currently struggling under a foot of snow and -8 degrees. cold winds will make any flying creature hide. i am new to birding myself and havent really worked out why they fascinate us enough to get up early from a warm bed to spend hours watching, it is even emotional, but if it gets you out and about hopefully it will add to fitness as well as pleasure!

Last edited:
Wind is a definite hindrance for most birding - they hide for shelter, and get more difficult to see among moving foliage. The one exception is seabirds at sea, you see more of them on windy days.

Yes. I did actually find a little info on the subject after my post yesterday. Do you ever go out Birding when its windy out and youre not looking for Seabirds or do you find it more futile?

i admire your fortitude! i know Canada is a big country but a farmer mate there is currently struggling under a foot of snow and -8 degrees. cold winds will make any flying creature hide. i am new to birding myself and havent really worked out why they fascinate us enough to get up early from a warm bed to spend hours watching, it is even emotional, but if it gets you out and about hopefully it will add to fitness as well as pleasure!

And thats just it. My daughter accompanied me on my first trip. Besides the birding we walked for about 1.5hrs, got exercise and really enjoyed the scenery :t:

Yes, wind over around 20kms/hour or so is a menace for much birding and the stronger the wind the worse. I always try to avoid windy days if possible - I'd rather have overcast calm conditions, even with a bit of rain, than clear skies and a strong blow! A brisk breeze is good for raptors though - in nice weather anyway.

Yes, wind over around 20kms/hour or so is a menace for much birding and the stronger the wind the worse. I always try to avoid windy days if possible - I'd rather have overcast calm conditions, even with a bit of rain, than clear skies and a strong blow! A brisk breeze is good for raptors though - in nice weather anyway.

Yes, im new to all of this but im probably not going to be going out as much when conditions are unfavourable. I did see quite a few Hawks yesterday tho....

Welcome to a great but addictive hobby. Depending on where and when you go out (particularly during migration) windy days can brings some very interesting birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back