• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

No sign of the shrike this morning for me at Nanquidno. Possibly departed last night during the clear night? Hasnt been reported all day on RBA

Also no news on the Wood Sand at Stiths - Henerz couldnt find it this morning and it's not been reported by S Van Hear on his post tonight on Westcornwallbirders blog - Another flit?

Both birds mentioned on BirdGuides Simon.

I saw the Nanquidno shrike on Monday, but not until the sun warmed things up a bit and the insects came out. I scoured the field first thing and saw nothing but Robins, but a second walk round at about 10am found it sitting on brambles that I had checked earlier.

Anyone have any answers to my Jack Snipe questions from my earlier post??

College Reservoir

College this morning = 2 drk Pochard, a pair of Gadwall, 1 ad Med Gull and 10 Wigeon.

Path was treachorous..

Couldnt pick out any fem Pochard. A 20x60 eyepiece for the scope didnt help at all in the available light.

Last edited:
Path was treachorous..

Turns out the path has been officially closed since 1999!!!

No wonder it was crap.
Nothing much on Stiths this afternoon. Couldnt find the Wood Sand, 4buzzards hunting together over the moor with a Kestrel not too far away hunting and a rare sighting of a Coal Tit

Only the 4th sighting of Coal Tit here that i know of this year. Only two that i know of last year and 1 the year before.

Some images of the Spoonbill (Marazion) and Snow bunting (Nanquidno) today....
_X9M8943 [] (2).jpg...._X9M9060 [].jpg
More images will appear on my blog later today.

single Gadwall still showing on the lake at Pendarves Wood this afternoon. Couldnt find the Wood Sand at Stiths

RBA report 6 Spoonbill on Dinholm flats.

Anyone know the ages?

College this morning

An unofficial walk around College reservoir this morning unofficially gave me 2 Pochard (drk's), 1 Teal, 16 Wigeon, 1 Common Gull and the last unofficial bird of the day was a Kingfisher (unofficially).

Highlights of sightings on the Camel Estuary include; 3 Spoonbills, 65 Little Egret and 33 Mediterranean Gulls. A full list can be found on the Camel Estuary Thread.

Nanquidno and Lands end Airfield this afternoon…..
Buzzard 1, Kestrel 1 or 2, House Sparrow 6, Rook, Crow, Chaffinch 1M, Blackbird 2M 1F, Starling 40+, Grey Wagtail 2, Chough 5, Great Tit 1, Blue Tit 1, Wren 1, Robin 2, Long Tailed Tit 6, Herring Gull 30+ and Yellow Browed Warbler 1.

Whooper Swan at Drift, 3 Spoonbill at Hayle Estuary

20/10/2009 - Loe Pool a.m. sightings:

1 Long-tailed Duck (fem/juv - flew down the lake and seemingly out to sea)
2 Water Rails
1 Tufted Duck
30+ Cormorants
1 Little Grebe
1 Great Crested Grebe
3 Firecrests
1 Chiffchaff
10+ Swallows

(also 1 Cetti's Warbler, 6 Firecrests, 3 Grey Wagtails, 1 Raven, 1 Wheatear, 1 Rock Pipit and a poss Ring-billed Gull 2w here on 08/10/2009)

20/10/2009 - Loe Pool a.m. sightings:

1 Long-tailed Duck (fem/juv - flew down the lake and seemingly out to sea)
2 Water Rails
1 Tufted Duck
30+ Cormorants
1 Little Grebe
1 Great Crested Grebe
3 Firecrests
1 Chiffchaff
10+ Swallows

(also 1 Cetti's Warbler, 6 Firecrests, 3 Grey Wagtails, 1 Raven, 1 Wheatear, 1 Rock Pipit and a poss Ring-billed Gull 2w here on 08/10/2009)

Some good birds there:t:
Does anyone have any more info on the reported Baird's Sandpiper in the flock of G Plover at Zennor this afternoon.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back