• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (1 Viewer)

Great photo June. i have swifts in my roof, or I did have I should say. they went last weekend. I'll try and upload a very short clip and post in Ex beebers in a wee while.

Hi everyone!

We have been living with this osprey-family in Finland too. It has been great experience to follow that life on the nest and outside too. Thank you to the whole staff! too!

We wish the hole family are doing well and living good osprey-life!

We thank you all hier...I thank you Cosworthlady personal, you have been guiding my nicely and with patient:)

Until next Marsh...I will come hier;)

Greetings to Finland

Hi everyone!

We have been living with this osprey-family in Finland too. It has been great experience to follow that life with sorrow and joy on the nest and outside too. Thank you to the whole staff! too!

We wish the hole family are doing well and living good osprey-life!

We thank you all hier...I thank you Cosworthlady personal, you have been guiding my nicely and with patient:)

Until next Marsh...I will come hier;)

It is lovely to have your messages from Finland. Good to share our experiences, too. In June I went from Newcastle upon Tyne to the North Cape of Norway. One day, a sea eagle flew past our cabin window! It was so near. Sadly my camera was out of reach! We saw very few birds in Norway.

I am now following the migration of our Scottish ospreys, on the following links:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/tracking/lochgartenospreys/index.asp and
http://roydennis.org/osprey/index.asp?id=163&sid=

The two ospreys are well on their way. Let's hope they survive and thrive.

All good wishes for your ospreys in Finland.
June

It is lovely to have your messages from Finland. Good to share our experiences, too. In June I went from Newcastle upon Tyne to the North Cape of Norway. One day, a sea eagle flew past our cabin window! It was so near. Sadly my camera was out of reach! We saw very few birds in Norway.

I am now following the migration of our Scottish ospreys, on the following links:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/tracking/lochgartenospreys/index.asp and
http://roydennis.org/osprey/index.asp?id=163&sid=

The two ospreys are well on their way. Let's hope they survive and thrive.

All good wishes for your ospreys in Finland.
June

Thank you June!!

I am following too the Mellacie and Rothers!!

Our ospreys in Seili and Hailuoto are just about learning to catsh theyr own fish soon. And in the middle September is then the migration-time.

Last edited:
Hi All

Well thanks for the company and chat again through the Osprey season and I hope we will all meet up again next year. Thanks for the links June.

25th August 2009

Our ospreys have still not been seen on the nest but there have been quite a lot of sightings of ospreys on the loch over the last week so it is uncertain whether or not ours are still around. Adult and juvenile ospreys have been spotted flying and fishing on the loch and on Friday, what appeared to be a very inexperienced juvenile, was watched trying to fish in front of the hides. Instead of diving down when it spotted a fish, it slowly glided down to the water then dived at the last minute. It did this on four occasions before finally giving up and moving on.

Although no ospreys have been seen on the nest we have seen a few other interesting sights. We have some nice footage here at the Loch of the Lowes from Friday of a juvenile woodpecker hanging upside down from one of the pine cones where it pecked away for a short time before another woodpecker came and chased it away. Also on Saturday a red squirrel was watched running around in the nest before scurrying off back down the tree. The red squirrels can also be watched from the viewing window burying their nuts preparing for the winter setting in.

We have a little shrew which has taken up residence between the female toilets and the store room and is regularly seen running through the grates hunting for food. Goldeneyes and pochards have also returned to the loch after travelling down from the north for the oncoming winter so the loch is getting busier than during the summer breeding months.

Volunteers and staff are currently in the process of upgrading an artificial otter holt in attempt to make it more suitable for otter use as it was regularly becoming flooded in the winter. When it is finished we are planning on fitting it with a camera so hopefully you will be able to see otters regularly running in and out of the holt.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back