• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (1 Viewer)

Cosworthlady

Forgive me for starting a thread a few weeks early.

I'm hoping and praying that the old girl and her fella turn up hale and hearty this year. I know given her age that the chances of more than one chick being hatched is a tad optimistic but I so wish she makes it. I'm going to call the centre end of next week to see if anything has been spotted in the area.

Bring on the web cam :)

Looking forward to hearing from all the "auld yins" and the new followers .

Ann

PS for all the new yins I must warn you that your summer will be sat in front of your monitor and having no life LOL

Get Osprey Spotting

Tuesday 10th March 2009

Perthshire locals are being encouraged to turn their eyes to the skies this month, as Scottish Wildlife Trust's (SWT) local visitor centre, Loch of the Lowes, launches a competition to celebrate the imminent arrival of one of Scotland's most magnificent bird species, the Osprey.

Claire Troup, Perthshire Ranger explained: "For the last 40 years, ospreys have been visiting Loch of the Lowes to nest and rear their young during the breeding season. The annual arrival of the osprey is a very exciting time for everyone at Loch of the Lowes and this year we decided to do something special to mark the event.

"The usual pattern is for the female osprey to arrive at the eyrie first. Within a week her mate arrives on the scene and breeding can commence. Once the eggs are laid, the male osprey assists with the incubation for the next six weeks. Visitors at our centre can follow the chicks' journey from hatching to their eventual flight from the nest. The pattern this year could be different however, because our female could sadly be too old to make it here or to breed. Which ospreys will arrive this year and what they will do once they get here is unknown just now, which makes our watch all the more exciting.

"Last year, our female arrived at 2 pm on 30 March but we have heard that ospreys have already been sighted in Dumfries. Our ospreys could arrive any time from now onwards so we are asking everyone to keep a look out, either using an old-fashioned pair of binoculars or by logging on to view our web cam at www.swt.org.uk, which broadcasts live from the osprey nest site.

"If you do think you've spotted an osprey, email your sighting to lochofthelowes 'at' swt.org.uk. The first person to spot the osprey landing on the nest will win a pair of binoculars."

Ospreys were once a common species in Britain, but by 1916 the species were on the brink of extinction due to persecution. Thanks to tremendous conservation efforts ospreys are once again an established part of Scotland's rich wildlife. The first pair returned to Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve in 1969 and were only the fifth known pair in Scotland at that time.

Once the first egg of the season is laid, staff and nearly 70 volunteers will take it in turns to man the round-the-clock watch to safeguard these magnificent creatures, which come under threat from egg thieves.

Ospreys are just one of many wildlife attractions at the reserve. Home to many iconic Scottish species, red squirrels, pine martens and woodland birds of all types and sizes can be spotted by visiting the reserve.

**ENDS***
NOTES TO EDITORS:

1. Loch of the Lowes Visitor Centre is now open all year from 10 am – 5 pm, with 24 hour access to the hides. Admission costs are £3.50 per adult, £2.50 per concession, or £7 per family. SWT members get in for free, and there is a 10% discount on groups with over 11 people. For more information, visit www.swt.org.uk
2. SWT is the largest voluntary body working for all the wildlife of Scotland, representing more than 33,000 members who care for wildlife and the environment. SWT seeks to raise public awareness of threatened habitats and species and manages over 120 reserves Scotland-wide.
3. SWT receives financial assistance and support from Scottish Natural Heritage.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Claire Troup, Perthshire Ranger, SWT
Tel: 01350727337 or email: ctroup 'at' swt.org.uk

Peter Ferns, Visitor Centre Manager, SWT
Tel: 01350 727337or email: pferns 'at' swt.org.uk

1. Nicola McGovern, SWT PR Officer

Tel: 0131 312 4742 or email: nmcgovern 'at' swt.org.uk

Loch Lowes Ospreys 2009

Hi Ann the other Osprey Godmother and fans,

The camera is up and running this morning on the nest so please keep saying those prayers and will Marge to get home soon.

www.thewebbroadcastingcorporation.com/swt/swt.php

Site does say feeder cam as that is what it has been all winter so they may alternate it until the Ospreys arrive but I hope not.

Ann :egghead::flyaway:
The Osprey Godmother

Roy Dennis reported an Osprey at Aviemore today,so keep watching the webcam "Osprey Godmothers". :eek!:

Hi Ben,

I am really glad the Loch Lowes camera is up and running as I might just see an Osprey arrive home as I have been watching it most of today and it is live the trees in the distance were moving in the wind. It looked really peaceful and beautiful up there.

I hope the other Osprey Godmother gets back home and on line soon, it would be great if she saw the first arrival.

Ann :egghead::flyaway::flyaway:
The Osprey Godmother

Oooooo 2 threads LOL.

Mods can you merge these please? Pretty please. :)

A bird landed on the nest? I'm gonna phone Peter Ferns in the morning and I'll come back and tell you. I hope its the old girl.

I feel I am going to lose my days again LOL. I am even thinking about going wireless and getting a lap top for the garden so as i don't miss too much whilst getting some fresh air.

I couldn't see anything last night - it was too dark, but this morning yes, there is an osprey on the nest. I can't see any rings in its legs, but it's already starting to tidy up the nest. Is it Marge?

Hi Ann,

Sorry my fault I was so thrilled to see the camera running I just started a new thread without checking there was another.

It is 7.10 am Saturday and there is definitely an Osprey tidying the nest but I don't know them as well as you which is it?

The Osprey God Mother

Hi Ann,

Sorry my fault I was so thrilled to see the camera running I just started a new thread without checking there was another.

It is 7.10 am Saturday and there is definitely an Osprey tidying the nest but I don't know them as well as you which is it?

The Osprey God Mother

The season has well and truly started. Who would have imagined the LOTL would be first.

Hi Tiger,

Have you been able to identify the bird yet, I have been watching it all morning but as I missed out on some of my "Osprey year" last year I cannot remember who is who at LOTL.

The wind is really bashing the trees this morning, I like having live pictures and sound.

Hi Everybody,

Just to let you know it is 1.45 pm and the Osprey has just returned to the nest with one very large fish.

The Osprey Godmother

Hi Tiger,

Have you been able to identify the bird yet, I have been watching it all morning but as I missed out on some of my "Osprey year" last year I cannot remember who is who at LOTL.

The wind is really bashing the trees this morning, I like having live pictures and sound.

Yes it has been identified as the female who has been around for years.

I have not got any captures myself but there are captures around.

Hi,

I think they are having problems with the camera as I thought I saw her eat the same fish twice. Half way through the afternoon the camera did go off for a few minutes and I have just looked now and it is back to showing the feeders.

I hope they were this year's pictures live and we weren't watching film from last year when she first arrived.

The Osprey Godmother

Glad to hear she is back, we are going to Aviemore in about a months time and we always stop at Loch of the Lowes on the way up....in fact I much prefer this to the set up at Loch Garten.

I hope its live this year - got all excited - thought 2 fish in such a short time was a bit good! Sounds like they may have replayed the earlier one - maybe there is so many people logging on we have crashed the system LOL

They were definitely playing about with the picture earlier, and I think there was only one fish, just shown again!

I wish LOTL would have something on the screen when it's a replay so that we know it's not live - or have "live" on the screen when it's live. Then we wouldn't get confused!

It is good to see Marge again though, isn't it?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back