• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite bird species (2 Viewers)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
So in the boring lockdown we were discussing our favourite bird families and coming up with our top 5 birds for each group of species. We tried to do it based on either having a photo (not always the best) or a description from our trip reports

The first groups are the obvious one Pittas, Bird of Paradise, Penguin, Trogons and Hummingbirds but hopefully subsequent groups may be a bit more interesting.

I'll try to do a least one a day and hopefully others might do the same to get some interest going.

First up Pittas

I've gone for Blue-headed, Black-headed, Fairy, Hooded and Javan Banded but if my photos of Ivory-breasted and Indian were better they could have been in

Attachments

• blue headed pitta female.JPG
    blue headed pitta female.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • black headed pitta.JPG
    black headed pitta.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • fairy pitta side.JPG
    fairy pitta side.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • hooded pitta.JPG
    hooded pitta.JPG
    667.9 KB · Views: 38
  • javan banded pitta male.JPG
    javan banded pitta male.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Birds of Paradise

Today has to be one of the most spectacular families, we will never forget seeing Raggiana BoP lekking at Varieta on Papua New Guinea.

Raggiana, Superb, Ribbon-tailed Astrapia, Wallace's Standard-wing and Brown Sicklebill are the photos below

Attachments

• raggiana bop.JPG
    raggiana bop.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 42
  • superb bop.JPG
    superb bop.JPG
    694.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ribbon tail astrapia male.JPG
    ribbon tail astrapia male.JPG
    751.8 KB · Views: 41
  • standardwing display.JPG
    standardwing display.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • brown sicklebill.JPG
    brown sicklebill.JPG
    984.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Penguins

Adelie, African, Chinstrap and King, Yellow-eyed Penguin.

I can't find any photos of Galapagos which is our favourite from trip reports after a couple swam with us while snorkelling.

Attachments

• Adelie Penguin.JPG
    Adelie Penguin.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 23
  • African Penguin.JPG
    African Penguin.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • chinstrap penguin.JPG
    chinstrap penguin.JPG
    705 KB · Views: 17
  • King Penguin.JPG
    King Penguin.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • ye penguin.JPG
    ye penguin.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 24
Humingbirds

So difficult to choose and rather than have a fall out we each have five birds.

Mine are

Snowcap, Tufted Coquette, Scintillant Hummer, Buff-tailed Coronet and Gorgetted Sunangel

Attachments

• snowcap flight.JPG
    snowcap flight.JPG
    861.7 KB · Views: 40
  • tufted coquette male.JPG
    tufted coquette male.JPG
    966.2 KB · Views: 31
  • scintillant hummingbird.JPG
    scintillant hummingbird.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • gorgeted sunangel.JPG
    gorgeted sunangel.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • buff tailed coronet.JPG
    buff tailed coronet.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Hummingbird Sarah

Sarah's choice

Rainbow-bearded Thornbill, Shining Sunbeam, Golden-bellied Puffleg, Black-crested Coquette and Booted Racketail

Attachments

• fff Rainbow bearded tb.jpg
    fff Rainbow bearded tb.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 31
  • ff Shining sunbeam2.jpg
    ff Shining sunbeam2.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 20
  • bc coquette3.JPG
    bc coquette3.JPG
    722.8 KB · Views: 21
  • FFS Golden bel puufleg 13.44.12.jpg
    FFS Golden bel puufleg 13.44.12.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 26
  • booted racket tail perched.jpg
    booted racket tail perched.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 27
So in the boring lockdown we were discussing our favourite bird families and coming up with our top 5 birds for each group of species. We tried to do it based on either having a photo (not always the best) or a description from our trip reports

The first groups are the obvious one Pittas, Bird of Paradise, Penguin, Trogons and Hummingbirds but hopefully subsequent groups may be a bit more interesting.

I'll try to do a least one a day and hopefully others might do the same to get some interest going.

First up Pittas

I've gone for Blue-headed, Black-headed, Fairy, Hooded and Javan Banded but if my photos of Ivory-breasted and Indian were better they could have been in

Correction - Sarah chose Rainbow Pitta not Blue-headed but too late to edit the post.

Attachments

• rainbow pitta potrait.jpg
    rainbow pitta potrait.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 32
Trogons

Trogons/Quetzals are Sarah's favourite species.

Today we have chosen

Golden-headed Quetzal, Slaty-tailed Trogon, Whitehead's Trogon, Resplendent Quetzal and Guianan Trogon

Next sets are likely to be Cotingas, Kingfishers, Owls and Bee-eaters.

Attachments

• gh quetzal.jpg
    gh quetzal.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 29
  • whiteheads trogon male.JPG
    whiteheads trogon male.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • slayt tailed trogon potrait.jpg
    slayt tailed trogon potrait.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 28
  • male quetzal at hole.JPG
    male quetzal at hole.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • guianan trogon fem.JPG
    guianan trogon fem.JPG
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 25
Cotinga

Lots of great Cotingas from South and Central America to select from

We have gone for

Snowy Cotinga seen in La Selva Costa Rica, Orange-breasted Fruiteater Montezuma in Columbia, Guianan Red Cotinga and Cock of the Rock at Iwokrama Guyana and Andean Cock of the Rock from Mindo Ecuador plus Red-ruffed Fruitcrow at Ozum Columbia.

Attachments

• snowy cotinga2.JPG
    snowy cotinga2.JPG
    870 KB · Views: 28
  • cock o fthe rock display pose.JPG
    cock o fthe rock display pose.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • cock of the rock male.JPG
    cock of the rock male.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • llz red ruufed fruitcrow2.JPG
    llz red ruufed fruitcrow2.JPG
    909.7 KB · Views: 30
  • red cotinga2.JPG
    red cotinga2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hello

here i want to share some images of the Arabian sunbird, Cinnyris hellmayri, a very close relative to the shinning sunbird which is known in East Africa, were Arabia was once part of, before it got seprated by the big refit which created the red sea.

Attachments

• AS1a.jpg
    AS1a.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 24
  • AS2a.jpg
    AS2a.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 19
  • AS3a.jpg
    AS3a.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 23
all the previous images are for males, and here two more for a sub adult male.

Attachments

• AS4a.jpg
    AS4a.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 16
  • AS5a.jpg
    AS5a.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Trogons/Quetzals are Sarah's favourite species.

Today we have chosen

Golden-headed Quetzal, Slaty-tailed Trogon, Whitehead's Trogon, Resplendent Quetzal and Guianan Trogon

Next sets are likely to be Cotingas, Kingfishers, Owls and Bee-eaters.

great selection of birds, all stunning beauty.

Lovely bird

Hello

here i want to share some images of the Arabian sunbird, Cinnyris hellmayri, a very close relative to the shinning sunbird which is known in East Africa, were Arabia was once part of, before it got seprated by the big refit which created the red sea.

Nice bird - when was it split from Shining, still shown as Shining in Birds of the Middle East?

Tanagers

Loads of really attractive tanager to chose from. Unfortunately I don't have good photos of Paradise or Multi-coloured so we have gone for

Silvery Throated - this bird seen at Savegre in Costa Rica,
Gold-ringed - this great bird seen at Montezuma Columbia,
Golden-naped - Mindo Eduador
Emerald - Arenal in Costa Rica
Flame-faced - Santa Rosa Ecuador

Attachments

• silvery throated tanager.JPG
    silvery throated tanager.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • mmz gold ringed g tanager.JPG
    mmz gold ringed g tanager.JPG
    959.7 KB · Views: 24
  • gn tanager.JPG
    gn tanager.JPG
    691.2 KB · Views: 20
  • emerald tan2.JPG
    emerald tan2.JPG
    739.8 KB · Views: 26
  • flame faced tan2.JPG
    flame faced tan2.JPG
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Wish my travels had revealed any of those wonderful birds, but apart from Canada, its all WP birds for me............

I'll give I ta go in one post................

American warblers - Black-throated Blue, Blackburnian, Cerulean, Black and White, Parula, Pronthonatory.

The rest is all WP -

Raptors - Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Monty, Gyrfalcon, Saker, Goshawk, Hobby, Sooty Falcon, Goldie, Eleonora's.

Owls - Great Grey, Snowy, Hawk, Tengmalm's Short-eared, Barn Owl, Brown Fish Owl, Scop's Owl

Passerines - Siberian Rubythroat, Wryneck, Hawfinch, Firecrest, Redstart, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, European Bee-eater, Roller, Kingfisher, any Nightjars, woodpeckers.

Waders - Spotted Redshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Marsh Sand, Greenshank, Sanderling, Cream-coloured Courser

Wildfowl - Smew, Pintail, Goldeneye, any Divers or Grebes

Seabirds - Pom Skua, Puffin, Red-billed Tropicbird, Sooty Tern, Little Tern, Ross's Gull

Gamebirds - Black Grouse, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse

Last edited:
Nice bird - when was it split from Shining, still shown as Shining in Birds of the Middle East?

Birdlife Datazone and HBW Alive recognise 'Arabian Sunbird' C. hellmayri as a full species, with ssp kinneari del Hoyo et al 2016, but although peer-reviewed justification unavailable, the authors of Sunbirds 2001 support the split, Robert Cheke and Clive Mann in litt & pers comm. Plumage and structural characteristic differences beween the 5 sspp of Shining Sunbird are detailed in Williams 1955. It seems the only molecular work done on Shining Sunbird was that included in the unpublished Bowie 2003. In the absence of any available molecular evidence, the OSME Region List pro tem treats the split as provisional.
MJB
Bowie, RCK. 2003. Birds, molecules and evolutionary patterns among Africa's islands in the sky. Unpublished PhD thesis, University of Cape Town.
Cheke, RA, CF Mann and R Allen. 2001. Sunbirds; a guide to the sunbirds, spiderhunters, flowerpeckers and sugarbirds of the world. Helm. London. UK.
del Hoyo, J, NJ Collar, DA Christie, A Elliott, LDC Fishpool, P Boesman, and GM Kirwan. 2016.*HBW and BirdLife International Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the World. Volume 2: Passerines. Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International, Barcelona, Spain and Cambridge, UK.
Williams, JG. 1955. A systematic revision and the natural history of the Shining Sunbird in Africa. The Condor 57(5): 249-262.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back